AVIC411.com

2007 4Runner and AVIC-D3X

First off I'd like to say thanks for the wealth of information you guys have posted.

I am looking at purchasing the AVIC-D3X from Crutchfield for $799 which includes the wiring harness, dash kit and an install guide. I know I can pick up the D3X on e-bay minus the wiring harness, dash kit and guide for about $699. Are the extras the CF offers worth the $100? I've installed head units in my old cars, but I'm a bit leery to start taking apart a car that is less than 6 months old. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Second question. I read a review on NewEgg.com about this unit and someone said the GPS was horrible. They said that the driving directions it gave were round about, and they even said a lot of people on this forum had the same complaint. Has anyone else had this problem or was this guy overreacting?

Thanks again, and if any of this is a repost I'm sorry. I did use the search button, but didn't see anything answering my question. :D

On top of the install stuff ($50?), You're also getting the Bluetooth module ($100+), remote ($15+?) and iPod cable ($15+) for the $800. Definitely worthwhile, IMO. Not sure exactly what you can get those for on eBay or other places, but I felt secure in knowing that it's crutchfield behind the product, not "some seller" (and I buy EVERYthing from eBay).

I haven't used the Nav enough to praise or complain about it.

Also, if you buy from CF, you'll get a discount on the special wiring module if you need one. I needed one for my car (06 Impala SS) to retain the Onstar & chimes/warnings, and got it for $65 instead of the list price of $130).

Again, I'm sure you can buy it in bits and pieces for a little less somewhere else, but what's most important to you? I forgot to buy the steering wheel control module from CF when I made the purchase and bought it on eBay. Took almost 2 weeks to be delivered from a top-rated seller. :? Would have been nice to get it the week before to eliminate the need to reinstall the unit 2-3 times.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking the same thing about buying from Crutchfield vs E-Bay.

*EDIT* I just read the two page post on the GEX-P10HD :oops:

Has anyone had any experience with the Pioneer GEX-P10HD? CF says that it's an HD tuner that integrates with the D3 to give HD radio without the need for external controls. Everything I've read says that HD requires additional controls. Thanks again everyone.

Congrats on the purchase. CF is great to deal with. I got the free (after rebate) Terk XM unit and decided to go with a Pioneer unit instead (got a refurb on eBay for $55). Emailed CF, they sent me a prepaid shipping label within minutes. Dropped the package at UPS two days ago and got my refund receipt from CF this afternoon. Gonna use that $50 towards the $60/3-year warranty.

Beware the SWI-PS, though. IDK what the hell is going on, but it's sporadically changing the band on me and locking me out of the touchscreen. I have to take it apart and reprogram the unit and see if that helps. I'm going to search for issues here, too.

.....JUST when I thought I had everything 100% to my liking. :roll:

Congrats on the purchase. CF is great to deal with. I got the free (after rebate) Terk XM unit and decided to go with a Pioneer unit instead (got a refurb on eBay for $55). Emailed CF, they sent me a prepaid shipping label within minutes. Dropped the package at UPS two days ago and got my refund receipt from CF this afternoon. Gonna use that $50 towards the $60/3-year warranty.

Beware the SWI-PS, though. IDK what the hell is going on, but it's sporadically changing the band on me and locking me out of the touchscreen. I have to take it apart and reprogram the unit and see if that helps. I'm going to search for issues here, too.

.....JUST when I thought I had everything 100% to my liking. :roll:

CF already called me to see if I had any questions about my order and asked if they could do anything else to help. Needless to say I'm impressed with their customer service so far. The unit should be here Wednesday and I think I'm going to do my install next weekend. Thanks for the replies and all of your input.

Yeah, they were great. There was one snag...our current phone number was never added to my bank account...so it didn't match. They called me an hour later to explain the problem, so i called the banks 800# and switched to the new phone number. Called CF back and told them. They processed the order over the weekend, sent me an eMail update sat and sunday, and said to expect my delivery on Wed. Got it tuesday, and I had the AVIC installed that evening. :wink: I did the BT, XM and SWCs later in the week, though. Just HAD to have the nav installed ASAP :lol:

If you can connect the HU and get that working, there is no reason you can't do the BT & SWC. BT is much easier in that you just run the the IP-Bus, power and gnd cables up to the radio. Tap into the pioneer harness for power and gnd, and plug in the bus cable. Getting your phone connected would be the hardest part, I'd think.

For the SWC, depending on how many connections you need to make, and whether or not you need to use the resistors, that will determine the degree of difficulty. I only needed to find one wire at the BCM to tap into, then the others I needed were power and gnd. No resistors used. Quite simple to install, really.