AVIC411.com

You guys gotta be kidding me. Is it 1968 Gran Prix, 1968 Grand Prix, Grand Prix, Gran Prix, '68 Gran Prix, '68 Grand Prix? Let's throw Pontiac in there with all those combinations, and let's hope you didn't misspell something (Chevrolet, Porsche, Mercedes). Was it the first car you owned, including that rust bucket that you never got running? There are many reasons to forget something like this.

I've learned to use a simple word that I'll always remember for instances like this, but that's because I got burnt once (mothers maiden name, easy enough to guess so I used something else and forgot).

And if you do a search, you'll learn that Pioneer doesn't keep track of any of the serial numbers for being stolen anyways. Not like I'm letting the cat outta the bag with that one...

Wow Capt. Bringdown, I guess you don't remember the first car you had cause you didn't get laid in it? Just joking, but come on, how hard is it to really remember your first car?

And the SS number thing? Don't go to a University because that is your student number and just about everyone can get that, as a matter of fact it is used in everything and everywhere you go and use your student ID. My University even sold our student information to company's. SS numbers are very easy to obtain. Just use something that is special to you and only you, then the thiefs won't be able to get back into your radio.

Letting the cat out of the bag would be mentioning certain programs/tools that allow you to crack the codes and reset theinformation, they are out there and not hard to get if you are willing to pay for them.

• 5 months later...

Believe it or not, I set a password using the name of my first car, and forgot how I entered it. After a bit of swearing and frustration, I wrote down the year, make, model, trim level of my car and kept trying combinations until I hit on it. The first thing I did after that was shut off this feature. I now call this the "spite feature" as in "if I can't use it you can't either". If it's stolen, I'll have bigger issues than whether the SOB who stole it can use it.

I left my unit off as I though the security feature on this unit is too easy to get myself into trouble as you can pick any password and since it's not something you use unless power is cut it can be easy fo forget how you spelled it would have been safer to pick a code number like kenwood ...