AVIC411.com

New Z1/No Bypass

[quote name="Passat 05"]
Huh?? Wait till you get a Z1 installed and you'll see that most of the navigation features work without a bypass, including voice commands for picking destinations.
I don't have my phone tied in with the Z1 but can guarantee you that it'll work just fine too. :roll:[/quote]

You can't do an address search or a POI search without stopping and putting the parking brake on. You also can't dial a number from your address book without stopping and putting the parking brake on. And I think the voice commands are locked out as well for those.
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="Passat 05"]
Huh?? Wait till you get a Z1 installed and you'll see that most of the navigation features work without a bypass, including voice commands for picking destinations.
I don't have my phone tied in with the Z1 but can guarantee you that it'll work just fine too. :roll:[/quote]

You can't do an address search or a POI search without stopping and putting the parking brake on. You also can't dial a number from your address book without stopping and putting the parking brake on. And I think the voice commands are locked out as well for those.[/quote]

The difference is that you [b]THINK[/b] you can't and I [b]KNOW[/b] you can!!
I don't have the 'Ducati' in my car and I [b]know[/b] that I can do the address search e.t.c without having flashed the lights.
As I said, I don't have a phone tied in with the Z1 but would [b]THINK[/b] that this too can be used with voice commands.

That is what sets the HDD Z1 apart from other Avics. Using voice commands is not a liability issue for Pioneer as long as it's legal to use hands free phones. :D
Ok, maybe I'm naive but if there is a "marine mode" that has to bypass the security, then why not contact a marine installer? Or have an installer call their supplier and state that they are doing a marine install and need to bypass the security? I know it isn't that easy or you would've done it already...
[quote name="Passat 05"]Wait till you get a Z1 installed and you'll see that most of the navigation features work without a bypass[/quote]

I think that was a little confusing. I would have said that at least half of the features are not available. I think you really meant that the screen is disabled and by using the voice feature you can get to most features that are locked out. I would say that "most features work without a bypass" is a bit misleading.

But most of us have some issues with the voice recognition on the Z1. Towns are pretty hard for me, at least the ones I want, it takes me 3-4 tries at least to get it to listen and recognize the town I want (if at all). As for POI searches, I haven't gotten it to work yet. If the voice recognition is not 100% (or even 80%) I would not consider those functions available. With the way it is, the voice recognition is a cool toy or secondary feature, but I wouldn't rely on it to get to the unit's locked out features.

[quote name="Passat 05"]
The difference is that you [b]THINK[/b] you can't and I [b]KNOW[/b] you can!!
I don't have the 'Ducati' in my car and I [b]know[/b] that I can do the address search e.t.c without having flashed the lights.
As I said, I don't have a phone tied in with the Z1 but would [b]THINK[/b] that this too can be used with voice commands.[/quote]

You can use the touch screen to do an address search without the bypass (while the vehicle is in motion)? I said that I thought the voice commands didn't work. But I thought I knew that you couldn't use the touch screen for most of the features, there are a lot of things locked out with out the bypass and/or the parking brake.

Try this, start moving and then don't talk. Then tell us how many things you can get to while you are moving. Or better yet, have the passenger try to access things (it's safer). The pioneer locks you out of many things. My acura does not. My acura has better voice recognition and you can use the touch screen while moving. We were on a trip this weekend and my wife in the passenger seat used quite a lot of features. I suppose if I was all alone I would have struggled though the voice commands, but I didn't have to cause the touch screen (with every feature) was available.

You might be able to get to some of them with the voice commands, but try doing a POI voice search for home depot, and it will not work (at least it doesn't for me). But if you use the touch screen and hit "h" it comes up with "home depot" at least on mine.

As for the phone, with out the bypass or without the parking brake you can do 2 things. Dial one of your 5 favorite numbers, or dial a number spoken aloud. You can not have any access to your address book without the parking brake on (or without the bypass).

[quote name="Passat 05"]
That is what sets the HDD Z1 apart from other Avics. Using voice commands is not a liability issue for Pioneer as long as it's legal to use hands free phones. :D[/quote]

I think the only reason this is even legal is because they can't stop it. Cops can see you with a phone to your ear. How can they tell you are on a speaker phone? They can't, which is why it's still legal. The studies now show that it's almost as bad on the speaker phone as it is with the phone up to your ear (almost). I know if I'm engaged with a conversation with someone in the front seat, it's not nearly as distracting as if they are on a cell phone. Why? I have no idea, but I think they are right.

I wish we could figure out a way to stop the stupid lawsuits so this crap wouldn't be such a legal issue. Pioneer needs to protect themselves because some schmuck will be doing what they shouldn't be doing and blame pioneer cause they didn't protect him from himself. Or cause he wants to take a stab at getting big bucks for no real reason and the courts are more than happy to pay people for their stupidity. [/rant off]
The address search as well as the POI searches work amazingly well for me and so does the switching between AV sources such as AM, FM, DVD, Favorites and more, [b]with the voice command[/b], which is why I hadn't bothered to get a 'Ducati' as of yet.

The person I was replying to originally was writing as if the Z1 has become useless without the bypass and that is far from fact.

But more importantly, now that the bypass has been killed for the time being it would be useful to list exactly what can be done without the bypass and while under way and what can not be done. I've found that I use the manual bypass less and less often because I can do almost anything that matters to me without it. Using an on screen keyboard on the other hand was something I was never comfortable doing. Hell, it IS distracting.

Statements like 'most' or 'some' functions are of no benefit to the newbie because what matters to one person may have little impact on another.

I'd love to see us accumulate a list of 'can' and 'can not' and then have an edited, organized copy posted as a sticky.
[quote name="ducatiboy"]But most of us have some issues with the voice recognition on the Z1. Towns are pretty hard for me, at least the ones I want, it takes me 3-4 tries at least to get it to listen and recognize the town I want (if at all). As for POI searches, I haven't gotten it to work yet. If the voice recognition is not 100% (or even 80%) I would not consider those functions available. With the way it is, the voice recognition is a cool toy or secondary feature, but I wouldn't rely on it to get to the unit's locked out features.
[/quote]

I completely agree, I can't imagine getting by without the unit un-locked, when I have the top down on my convertible, there is so much road noise, and wind noise that the voice recognition can't understand a word I say. So the voice recognition would no longer be an option and I would have to pull over to change something, When driving on a highway I find it a real pain in the ass and also unsafe to pull over.
just installed my z1 yesterday, the build date is July 06, sorry to say no go on the bypass. :cry:

I have read the troubleshooting and tried reseting, still nothing. Ill keep triyng to find some problem, but i think the fact is that its just not gona happen.

Hopefully you smart people will come up with another way to overcome pioneers attempt at this.

Please find another way, fast!!!! :D
[quote name="Passat 05"]
The person I was replying to originally was writing as if the Z1 has become useless without the bypass and that is far from fact.
/quote]

To me it has become useless if many of the nav features are not available while driving. I have a Garmin Quest now and I use it a lot to find someplace while driving. It may be because somebody called me and told me I needed to be somewhere or maybe I am need to find a gas station or someplace to eat while I am in an area that I do not know. The other week I was on a trip with the family and they all decided they wanted to eat at Fundruckers so I punch it in the GPS and routed right to it without pulling over and stopping. Even with Navtraffic there are going to be times when you get caught in a traffic jam and need to manually reroute. I can see it now, I am stuck in traffic moving about 5mph but I need to work my way over to the shoulder, stop the car, put on the parking brake to reroute around the traffic and then try to pull back off the shoulder into the slow moving traffic hoping there is someone nice enough to let me in. Hopefully while I am stopped on the shoulder for a NON emergency some cop won't see me and decide to make his ticket quota and give me a ticket for a non-emergency stop on a highway. Worst case would be traffic is flowing freely, I stop on the shoulder to enter a destination and some idiot slams into me from the rear hopefully not killing me. Now of course since my stop was non-emergency I might be held liable for the accident. You never know how the courts will rule (I can site court cases for this so this is not a fantasy). Wow, good use of my $2000.

I was really excited about the Z1 when I first read about it. Big screen, XM intergration, Navtraffic, no wires hanging all over the dash. For those that bought the Z1 that cannot be bypassed, are you really going to be happy with it when you find how crippled it really is? I would like to hear back from you after a month of so and tell us what you think, good or bad.
i have had my z1 installed for about a week now, and the flashing circuit didnt work for me. My build date is July 2006. Well i was insanely mad when i found out it wont work and i had no way of switching it with another unit of an earlier build date.

however after using it for a week now, city and highway usage, it really isnt that bad, actually not bad at all, as long as you ground the brake or put a switch on it like I and many others have.

Some functions are still grayed out even witha grounded brake, but over all it retains the most necesary functions needed for navigating. So overall i would say still a very good unit!

I just have one question. On every start up i get a message that the parking brake wire is not connected correctly, but the thing i dont get is why i get the disclaimer like on every other start up or so. Is that also trigered by the grounding of the parking brake wire?

Thanks for replies!