AVIC411.com

Ducatiboy flasher not working with new unit!

Well I just bought a new AVIC Z1 and the flash override switch and IT DIDNT WORK!! I had the shop double check all the wiring and it was installed correctly. The illumination worked on the unit and I left the ebrake ground wire off. The unit only worked on audio functions..Most of the setting buttons were grayed out and I could not perform any mapping address search functions. Had the installer remove the head unit and ground out the ebrake wire and ALL THE FUNCTIONS RETURNED to normal, even with the switch in place.

Any one else experience this problem with a new unit?
My installer had the same problem. I made him do it three times and it still didn't work. We had an argument on the 2nd time because I thought he was full of it, seeing that most of the people here who have the flash unit have no problem, I thought that he installed it wrong also. But I watched him the third time and he had no luck. Still without video.
ok This is the 2nd or 3rd post to come out saying the flasher does not work...Besides checking the firmware i think you would need to verify that the flasher circuit is ACTUALLY working. There are two main variables here in this problem and the flasher circuit could be the one at fault. I would try to remove the circuit and flash the lights on their own. im still waiting for my z1 to ship and im hoping the flasher works
Tried that already....Took the circuit out, hooked the wires back up and left the ebrake ground wire still disconnected. I flashed my light as the Z1 was booting up but still had the same problem. Most of the boxes were grayed out. The installer then took the ebrake wire and grounded it out and as soon as he did, all the grayed out buttons turned black....pulled the wire again....buttons went gray again. Had to have him hook it up as per specks just so I could have a functional unit.

Looks like Pioneer might have fixed this flaw in some of the newer units. Bummer!!
Okay...It's Sunday, 08/06. It's 2:00PM NY time. I just got back from my installer. He completely took out the flasher and connected everything back the way it would be as if there were no flasher in the first place. Everything worked the way it should. So I asked him one more time, let's try and hook up the flasher again. He looked at me like I just murdered someone. But he agreed because it bothered him also. I read the instructions while he performed the surgery. After 30 minutes, we tried the unit.....IT WORKED! I don't know what he did wrong the first 3 times or what he did right this time, but it worked. So, just be informed that maybe it's the installer that needs to triple check the wiring when conncting the flasher to the Z1. I thought for sure that it was not going to work, but it did. By the way My Z1 is Version 1.0000. Thanx DucatiBoy!
So far with the latest design of my circuit, the problems have been been 2 vehicle incompatibilities (06 Jetta GLI with a Dietz Can adapter and a 03 Chevy truck with a remote starter.. I blame those "add ons" for the vehicle incompatibility) and all the rest of the problems I have encountered have been some sort of installation error (many dozens of people claiming the circuit is bad or doesn't work).

Some one who contacted Pioneer and posted the conversation here on the forum was asking about an update to the Z1 to fix the issues some of us have with these (echo in the bluetooth, etc) and Pioneer told that person that they don't anticipate an update to the z1 for at least a year.

That doesn't mean they couldn't have stepped up the time table for an update, but remember this is not a hidden back door to the unit. It's undocumented from pioneer but they programmed it to unlock everything with a flash of the headlights. They put it in on purpose. I would be very surprised if there was an update which took that out so quickly (if ever).

I would still like to hear back from dsrtlawman about his Z1 version. And who knows, I could have shipped out a bad one. If so, I will double check a new one and ship a replacement out ASAP. Thank you eap0108 for letting us know it's still at version 1.000 and your is working.
okay....my version number states "01.0000" . Is that the same as all of you have?

eap...i cant believe ur unit worked after the circuit was reinstalled. I think I will print out ur reply and show it to my installer and maybe I can convince him to give it another try.

Ducatibay...thanks for ur offer to send me out another circuit. I think I will take you up on that offer. You just sent it to me last week Fed Ex overnight. But there seems to be another glitch with my unit. The cd player wont eject. The installer put in a movie in to show me the dvd function and now he cant get it back! Since the unit is spanking brand new, he will order me another one on Monday and install it on Tuesday. Can you get one to me by than? Also...if we can make ur circuit work, he is VERY interested on stocking them in his shop($$$$).

When the new unit come in I will ask him to again try and install the circuit but Im sure that will only go so far. And just to clairify...the ebrake wire DOES NOT get connected to ground, correct?

I will update this post on Tuesday will the results... Ducatiboy..pm me if you dont remember the guy in desert hot springs, ca.
dsrtlawman;

I would suggest that you use ducatiboy's troubleshooting guide [url=http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=654]http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=654[/url] and print a copy of it and then show it to your installer. I did that the first time that he installed it, but he NEVER even looked at it. You know how some of these installers are (no one can tell them how to do it). I had arguments with him because when I picked up my truck, he said sorry, that thing you bought was a waste of money. After reading all of these posts and seeing that 99.9% of them worked and conversing with ducatiboy about how it should be hooked up, I went back to him and said try it again. He did, and hours later he called and said nope! don't work. The third time I went there and read the instructions while he put it in, and guess what..... Yep! it worked. I would suggest to make sure that he is 1...putting it in and 2...make sure it's connected right. I read somewhere in this forum that 99% of all installs are human error. This was one of them....Thanks again! ducatiboy!
[quote name="ducatiboy"]So far with the latest design of my circuit, the problems have been been 2 vehicle incompatibilities (06 Jetta GLI with a Dietz Can adapter and a 03 Chevy truck with a remote starter.. I blame those "add ons" for the vehicle incompatibility)[/quote]

And I would not disagree with you since the Dietz provides the unit with the constant and the switched.

I want to say again I really appreciate your help making your product fully compatiable with my car.
[quote name="thread"]I want to say again I really appreciate your help making your product fully compatiable with my car.[/quote]

You are very welcome.

[quote name="eap0108"]I had arguments with him because when I picked up my truck, he said sorry, that thing you bought was a waste of money. After reading all of these posts and seeing that 99.9% of them worked and conversing with ducatiboy about how it should be hooked up, I went back to him and said try it again. He did, and hours later he called and said nope! don't work. The third time I went there and read the instructions while he put it in, and guess what..... Yep! it worked. I would suggest to make sure that he is 1...putting it in and 2...make sure it's connected right. [/quote]

I'm wondering how the installer screwed up the install (twice).

[quote name="eap0108"]I read somewhere in this forum that 99% of all installs are human error. This was one of them....Thanks again! ducatiboy![/quote]

You are very welcome as well, thanks for the info. And technically it's 99% of the problems :)

I tried to make the flasher circuit as easy as possible to install. If anyone know of a different way to word the instructions or re-draw the picture, I would be happy to entertain a change in the instructions. Maybe I confuse people with how it's worded. I can do that.