AVIC411.com

GPS Antenna Mounting Question

i know this is probably a very dumb question... but...

is it ok if i mount the gps antenna on top of the d3 unit itself since both are magnetic? my car is designed in a way where i have room to place the gps on top of the d3 without using the magnetic plate. i didn't know if that would interfere with the gps or the d3 itself.

Put it on the dash or the roof instead. Your reception will be better

i thought about it... but putting it on top the d3 won't give me any problems though right? for some reason, i thought the magnet on the gps antenna might ruin my d3 unit.

i guess i got it from people saying never put a magnet to an ipod.

It's possible that the magnet may interfere with the electronics or sound somehow, but that's just speculation. But just do it and see, I guess. But I don't see why you need to mount it directly on the D3 unit itself... Just mount it up under the dash, but away from any sensitive electronics. Like up above the glove box or something. Just make sure there's no metal above the antenna.

• 2 weeks later...
did you try it? are there any problems?

if i mount mine in the a-pillar behind the trim, would the trim block reception?

and is the metal plate provided necessary?

no problems so far. reception is fine. it really depends on the place. some areas i'll get crappy reception (which doesn't really affect anything for me) and there are some areas where i'll get full reception. all i did was just attached the gps antenna on top the d3 unit itself since i found that the easiest and most convienent way. i did not use the metal plate.

• 2 weeks later...

i just did what you did and mounted it on the d3 itself. the thing is that when i was testing the connections, i think i saw the gps icons go green. after i put everything back together and went for a test drive, they are orange. what do the colours mean? is there yellow? i think i saw yellow once.