AVIC411.com

Install question Avic D3

my d3 will be here on april fools day lol at that but anyways i am thinking about not hooking up the vss wire or reverse that kinda stuff can i just plug in the harness and every thing will just work like normal but it just wont be as accurate but should it be close i have a 04 STi

it's not a required connection, but it does help with accuracy. Especially if the system looses gps lock for any reason.

thanks ill prob not hook it up for now and see how it works if i dont like it that way ill go ahead and hook it up

as for the gps antena i have a gauge pod on top of my dash where the clock was on a sti dash i should be good putting it under there no metal anyway

can some one explain how they spliced in to the vss just for refrence do you just strip a spot on the coating and expose the wire on the vss and take the wire from the d3 and rap it around there and tape it off

Kilby, I've had no issue w/o the VSS. Like they said, if you lose GPS (in a tunnel, driving under a raised highway, etc) it's an issue, but for everyday driving in areas where signal strength isn't an issue, you're fine.

I'm waiting for a replacement GMOS module for my car, and then I'll attempt to find the VSS wire, but after a couple weeks with it installed, and a couple long trips, I've never had an issue w/o VSS.

GPS speed is more accurate than your vehicles speed, fwiw...especially at higher speeds.

can some one explain how they spliced in to the vss just for refrence do you just strip a spot on the coating and expose the wire on the vss and take the wire from the d3 and rap it around there and tape it off

The VSS wire lead that comes with the AVIC has a wire tap connector (similar looking to the pictured one below) No stripping or cutting required. You just crimp it onto the VSS wire and it pierces the sheathing and makes a connection. Piece of cake.

6053995.JPG

easy to put it on.

you can use the crimper locks that come with it, however in my experience there's not a good enough connection and overtime it loses it.

I preffer the method of stripping by hand a peice of wire and doing a PROPER wiring connection, Solder if possible if not than covering with electrical tape

Remember, Electrical tape is there for protection against outside interference or shorts. NOT to hold the joint together

I have found that cranking a small zip tie around the wire tap helps to keep the connections tight and reduces the chance that it will pop open over time. I still like to solder the speaker and power wires but sometimes it is much easier to use taps on the VSS, reverse, etc. wires Often the are also easier to get at if needed.