AVIC411.com

D3 Navigation questions

Yes, that's right. If you're using the DVD drive, you have to remove what's in there, put in the nav disk, and program in your route. Once the route's in there, you can rempve the nav disk again.

This is why it's pretty beneficial to install a Sirius tuner, XM tuner, and/or ipod, so you can just leave the disk in the drive all the time.

I believe you have to wait a minute for it to save the route to memory.

Once the route is saved, there is a small green icon that looks like a floppy disk on the bottom right of the map display.

Then you can remove the disk.

That's the first I've heard mention of that... I know I've input routes that were over 15 miles long. But then again, I leave the nav disk in the drive all the time, so I don't know whether or not it actually saved the route to memory.

Nope. If you store a route more than 75mi, it will store the length by a 6mi cross section, so if you miss a turn, you've got 3mi in either direction for the unit to redirect you to the original route. If it's less than 75mi, the route is stored length by 10mi across.

I don't know how it works when you plan a route across two zones (on two discs) but if you're driving that long and cannot spend 30s to reload the new disc, you are a music addict and need help. :lol: However, if you cross a border frequently, that might suck.

What you saw about 15 mi is the "home zone"...and I think it's actually 10mi x 10mi square. Once you insert the disc and set your home zone, it will remember that indefinitely, so if you need your local area, it will always show on your map. However, drive beyond the border of that 10x10 square and you're in no-mans land (gray area...i believe) and will need the disc.

Like Si said, XM and an mp3 player are your friend.

Okay, well if there is a 15 mile limit then that would explain my problem. But if people are saying it works well over that, then I guess I should try again.

The time it didn't work for me, I was going to my girlfriends house, who lives on the other side of town, and I just wanted to see how accurate it was. So getting lost wasn't a problem at the time.

Are you planning a route, or just using GPS positioning? If you have a route planned, are you letting it store in memory before you remove the disc? You need to wait until the green box with an M in it to stop blinking.

Again, it's in the manual...pg 74-75 area.

For memory nav mode, see pg. 133