AVIC411.com

Navigation off of street

I think the VSS wire supplies speed input to the navigation unit. I don't think it reports the position of the car. That's what the GPS does.

The symptom you describe matches what my unit does when it is not getting good GPS reception. When it's not getting a fix, it will use whatever other information it has (speed, accelerometers, I'm not sure what else) to estimate what it thinks is happening. This is called "dead reckoning." It's not nearly as accurate and it gets worse the longer you go without a fix.

The unit does not need VSS input if it has solid info from GPS.

Can you tell us how many orange satellites you are getting if you go to Menu -> Settings -> Hardware Settings -> Connection status?

I have afew friends and people I know of that never hook up the vss/speed wire and the nav works great. I have all the satellites and my position is right where I am but not on the street. I tried to fix my position and that worked for min untill I made a few turns. I know the maps aren't 100% acurate and other nav systems put you on the street if its off a lil bit. The street names doesnt even come up so I cant really use the navigation.

I think the VSS wire supplies speed input to the navigation unit. I don't think it reports the position of the car. That's what the GPS does.

The symptom you describe matches what my unit does when it is not getting good GPS reception. When it's not getting a fix, it will use whatever other information it has (speed, accelerometers, I'm not sure what else) to estimate what it thinks is happening. This is called "dead reckoning." It's not nearly as accurate and it gets worse the longer you go without a fix.

Actually, the dead reckoning is pretty accurate but it requires the Vss. This gives information on distance travelled, and is actually more accurate, and quite a lot faster, then the GPS. You'll notice the map updates in the display will be a lot smoother with the Vss....

So, in short, hook up your Vss!

which wire is it. is it the pink one that says something about speed. And still dont understand how is this gonna put me on the street. i have all satellites lit up, so how is it dead reconing.

GPS info will get you accurate to around 5 meters at best, and it's only updated every couple of seconds.... That's quite a margin for error looking at streets....

Which wire is the vss wire in the power harness. Im still not understanding how is this wire gonna fix my location the map. Im not ahead or behind where im susposed to be, im either to the right or the left of the road. Sometimes like when im on an e-way its so far left it shows me on the opposite side of the eway.

Which wire is the vss wire in the power harness. Im still not understanding how is this wire gonna fix my location the map. Im not ahead or behind where im susposed to be, im either to the right or the left of the road. Sometimes like when im on an e-way its so far left it shows me on the opposite side of the eway.

check click:installation manual , page 10 & 11.

It's for the HD3, but the Z2 is the same...