AVIC411.com

CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT

If a Class Action suit is brought foward against Pioneer Electronics USA will you join the litigation as a class member?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. If a Class Action suit is brought foward against Pioneer Electronics USA will you join the litigation as a class member?

• Yes, I have had similar issues and problems dealing with Pioneer and would fully participate in any litigation against Pioneer USA.
    • No, I don't feel this way at all. I am TOTALLY happy with my product.
    • No, I plan to opt out of any class litigation and seek legal recourse on my own.

Ok-I just got the Z3 but haven't installed it yet, so I do not know the routing and GPS pros and cons (except for what I have read of course). The manual that comes with the unit, however, has a license Agreement on page 11.

It states:

"Pioneer does not warrant that the software will meet your needs or expectations, that operation of the software will be error free or uninterupted, or that all non-conformities can or will be corrected. Furthermore, Pioneer does not make any representations or warranties regarding the use or results of the use of the Software in terms of its accuracy, reliability or otherwise."

On the next page it says:

"In no event shall pioneer be liable for any damages, claim or loss incured by you......blah blah blah"

So basically Pioneer is attempting to absolve themselves of all legal liability. The first statement I quoted however, says that "Pioneer does not make any representations....regarding the results or the use of the software". I beg to differ. They advertise this machine as the best navigation out there.

I haven't used this yet and I have no plans to sue them, but they have the same legal safeguarding as all other corporations over their product. Fortunately this legal verbosity doesn't always hold in court.

I had this unit professionally installed by Custom Sounds here in Texas. They have looked at it several times and concur it is an issue with the hardware; it has been replaced three times. All three units perform with the same inaccuracies.

Still curious about your installation. If you're really experiencing it being off by 20 meters, you have installation issues. Mine is more like three meters off...maybe five sometimes

For those of you who have inquired: My VSS is hooked up, the Pioneer GPS antenna included is front and center of the vehicle mounted on my dash with an unobstructed line of sight to the northern sky and surrounding window view .

Dully noted.

Ok-I just got the Z3 but haven't installed it yet, so I do not know the routing and GPS pros and cons (except for what I have read of course). The manual that comes with the unit, however, has a license Agreement on page 11.

It states:

"Pioneer does not warrant that the software will meet your needs or expectations, that operation of the software will be error free or uninterupted, or that all non-conformities can or will be corrected. Furthermore, Pioneer does not make any representations or warranties regarding the use or results of the use of the Software in terms of its accuracy, reliability or otherwise."

On the next page it says:

"In no event shall pioneer be liable for any damages, claim or loss incured by you......blah blah blah"

So basically Pioneer is attempting to absolve themselves of all legal liability. The first statement I quoted however, says that "Pioneer does not make any representations....regarding the results or the use of the software". I beg to differ. They advertise this machine as the best navigation out there.

I haven't used this yet and I have no plans to sue them, but they have the same legal safeguarding as all other corporations over their product. Fortunately this legal verbosity doesn't always hold in court.

Trust me I realize Pioneer isn't that "small company", why would it be worth the time and energy if they were? It's the perception of the consumer and how they treat that consumer that really matters.

Pioneer + Consumer=Profit take the consumer out of the equation and Pioneer isn’t too profitable are they? Ultimately this is about getting Pioneer to recognize that their customers do have a voice and they better be listening to that voice. This is a model we have seen demonstrated time and time again throughout America. More often than none, those consumers usually end up coming out on top.

Quoting an excerpt from someone else's statement does not necessarily make it true, or even reasonable....again, case in point - G-Dub...

Learn a bit about that 'small' company....

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/AboutPioneer

Actually, in that equation, if you take out consumer, you end up with Pioneer=Profit.

Anyway, a buddy of mine has been in touch with both Pioneer and TeleAtlas, and he has plenty of time on his hands, and he still lives in the middle of a blank patch of land, although his house and surrounding development are both several years old.

I've been through this with Sony. It takes years to get anywhere and in the end you get a small pittance and the lawyers take most the money once they settle. In the unlikely event it actually sees a court room you'd be at a disadvantage because of the technical complexity of the device. It sad to say but, jury's are usually pretty dim. You'd be better off selling your unit on ebay and buying another companies product.

I had this unit professionally installed by Custom Sounds here in Texas. They have looked at it several times and concur it is an issue with the hardware; it has been replaced three times. All three units perform with the same inaccuracies.

Oh ya, because an installer who messed up will never blame a problem on the product. Instead they will admit their faults and take a hit in labor and material cost and fix your system for free. If I were you I would listen and work WITH the nice people here instead of disregarding there help. They are very knowledgeable about these systems and can likely help you threw some of these problems.

There is NO way I would have had the unit replaced and reinstalled by the same dealer 3 times. If you were not sure after the second time whether it was an installation issue or a product issue, (and I don't believe you still have a clue), regardless of what the installing dealer told you, you should have INSISTED UNDER THREAT OF LAWSUIT that the installing dealer allow you to have the third unit installed by a new competent installer. That's where your THREAT OF LAWSUIT would have been more on target.

That would be the scientific way to get to the root of your problem.

It has been replaced 3 times by the same installer - all 3 units perfom with the same inaccuracies. Inaccuracies that most people on this board have not had when their unit was properly installed. Hmmmmm.

You may very well be organizing a class action lawsuit against the wrong party.

Hopefully your big time lawfirm knows what the term "Malicious Prosecution" means, and might choose to steer you away from your crusade.

Your poll needs a fourth option: I'm somewhat satisfied and can deal with the systems inadequacies. I prefer NOT to pursue legal recourse.

Now, normally I'm a very litigious person. However, I understand the intricacies and difficulty of map routing. The size of the database that holds all the routes, directions, permissions must be enormous and is constantly changing. A monumental task to be sure. There are only two real issues with my unit that I am disappointed with: 1) The library organization; no listing of albums under artist search and 2) the learn route feature. I've had my unit for over a year now and the darn thing still doesn't know the route I take home from work EVERYDAY.

Other than that, Pioneer was good enough to provide a fix to the overheat/freeze issue and they provide the gracenote updates once or twice a year. Sure, the system/map updates could be cheaper...but I don't think most 'round here pay. They just wait for an image.

Overall...I give it a 7.5/8.0 out of 10.

The Garmin Navi in the Kenwoods are very accurate.

• 1 year later...

I am also having problems with incorrect GPS directions. I have verified that it's a problem with my friend at work, he also has a Pioneer nav system. We have a major roadway with a tunnel and the GPS does everything it can to avoid the tunnel. We have put in starting positions right next to the tunnel and set it to take us to an address just on the other side of the tunnel and it wants to route us about 10-20 miles out of the way to either use another tunnel or a bridge. If you disregard it's directions and go through the tunnel it fusses up to the point you enter the tunnel and will then reroute, so the tunnel is in it's database, but it doesn't like it. We also have another odd spot, where it wants you off the main highway and puts you on a road that has on and off ramps, but then eventually merges back to the main highway. The main highway runs parallel to this road and it will fuss at you if you don't ride in the lane with the ramps. I have a portable Garmin and another Magellan, and both of them route these same streets properly. I love everything else about the system except for the knob, but thanks to Tom here on the forums with his $22 fix, even that is great now.