AVIC411.com

Kenwood DNX5120 vs. AVIC D3

I've always favored the D3, but now I'm leaning towards the Kenwood, simply because I'm under the impression that it's NAV system doesn't require the use of disc...

Aside from this one feature, how does it stack up against the D3?

Do all the extra systems, such as IPOD integration, XM/SIRIUS radio, Bluetooth, etc. work as well as the D3

Thanks in advance!

8)8)

The Kenwood has a better NAV system, hands down. It uses Garmin code and, as you said, it doesn't require a disc all the time.

It has built-in support for USB connected devices such as flash drives and portable hard drives.

It also has some nice features in its bluetooth support. For example, it supports text messaging, can use a QWERTY keyboard layout, and allows tone dialing during calls (for voicemail systems, etc.).

However, the D3 has more attractive screen layouts, supports dual layer DVDs, has better XM support (the Kenwood has better Sirius support), and has more sound customization options. And the D3 is noticeably less expensive with the current rebate program.

Recently sold my D3 and got the 5120 and could not be happier. The nav is worlds better, thats all I can even begin to say. Also, I no longer accidentally hit the eject button instead of "Menu" and have to spend 2 minutes for the Nav disk to reinitialize. And the iPod integration is just plain sick. Makes the D3 look about a decade out of date. The ability to touch any part of the artist list and you are there is great. It's actually a lot faster to navigate the iPod on the kenwood than it is on the actual ipod. Album art is a very nice touch too.

I had the D3 for about 9 months and enjoyed it, but could not pass up on the Kenwood for $674. The iPod video controls are awesome as well, no more having to go into the glove box to change movies. Now I can hop between the music and moves seamlessly.

The Pioneer definitely has a more factory integrated feel to it's interface and is much less complex ( a good thing) while the kenwood is much, much more utilitarian style. If you like a lot of details and options and tinkering, the Kenwood is your game (Set the default languages for DVDs, the reading speed for audiobooks on the iPod, etc. The settings are ENDLESS). The only thing I SORT of miss about the D3 is that actual physical Next/Prev track buttons on the unit itself that the Kenwood lacks. Next/Prev is done on the touchscreen.

As far as screen quality goes. The Kenwood has a much more sensitive ( a good thing) touch screen. No more mashing the bottom left corner to page down on the iPod like my D3 had me doing. Also, visibility in direct sunlight is much better than the D3. As in, when the sun comes through and hits the screen, you can still see it! Also, with the Kenwood, you have control over black level adjustment and is a good bit brighter and more colorful than the D3.

Sound wise, for me, the Kenwood wins mostly due to the EXTREMELY customizable EQ bands for each speaker set and sound fields. Also sounds much clearer at higher volumes and more powerful with my currently stock 07 Jetta sound system.

I will be checking out the XM addon when it comes out and the BT will be here tomorrow. My D3 bluetooth started dropping my phone after every two calls, causing me to restart the unit.

If the XM support is anything like the Sirius on the kenwood (Shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ21gBbUJjk&feature=user)

then I will be very happy. It will not be nearly as pretty as the XM was on the D3 (Which, I'll admit, sold me on the D3 in the first place along with the McDs icon on the maps, lol), but as long as the listings are quick and I can see who is playing on what stations, I'll be very satisfied.

Overall, both are great units. But if nav and ipod and bluetooth are your main concerns, you can not go wrong with the Kenwood. Bluetooth by Parrot, Nav by Garmin. Hope this helps your decision.

Thanks for the review Mike! I also just got a D3 but love Sirius and lets face it, Pioneer is XM and Kenwood is Sirius. I don't like the disc thing either. I thought I could get over it but I can't with movies for the kids going in and out too. Other than that I like the D3, I do, but I just bought the Kenwood 5120 to replace it for the Nav and Sirius. Hope to install it early next week. Got the bluetooth and ipod cable too.

i just saw some vids on youtube on kenwoods equivilent to the d3 and i dont really like it.

the overall look of the unit is pretty cool but the ui's arent very nice looking

the ipod interface is only better than the d3's because it has album artwork (small but has it) and its bit more responsive and the ipod video seemless control is good.

other than that...thats it.

but if you want that "killer album artwork ui", all you should get is a 2nd gen 80 gb zune, zune rca connections, a zune wireless remote and hook the zune up to your d3s av1.

not only does the zune kick ipods ass (touch or otherwise) but having it hooked up as mentioned above beats the ipod ui's that both kenwood and pioneer have.

Even the d2 hooked up with the zune kills ipod

and you can have rds on your d3 by using the zunes radio.

everything is better- pics, movies, radio, music, etc...

sure you can hook up the ipods to the rca's aswell but youll have to control it manually and not remotely like the zune. meaning itll be in your lap, or cabin somewhere.

the zune hooked up can be placed somewhere discrete and itll look like the zunes interface is stock on the d3....

dont get me started on how much better the zune is over....anything

Lets get back to the subject now that im done ranting.

If the bluetooth (parrot) and nav (garimin) are as good as they say they are and you rely on that ALOT...then maybe your better of getting the kenwood.

but since im not on my phone all that much, I like XM and its NavTraffic over Sirius, and dont use the nav a whole lot either, id have to stick with my d3 and zune.

just my .10 cents of opinion

Please post pics or vid of the 5120's bluetooth and nav when its installed.

I agree with one thing you said, the Zune does kick ass (have one). But to rig it up to the D3 is not that great. Who uses a remote or wants to use the actual device for controls? Seems like you are just infatuated with album art. I would buy a 5120 for everything, not just one aspect.

• 4 weeks later...
I see Best Buy has a sale this week on the DDX512, is this the same as the DNX5120 but without the navigation which can be added later?

i a;most bought that lol. I went to the store to buy it actually. But the guy who helped the week before it said it had but it didn't. and i sat there for a while and pondered and just bought the D3. Even thought it wasnt what i wanted it eas just 100.00 dollars more with nav so i said that ill just take it instead of paying more for the module.

I see Best Buy has a sale this week on the DDX512, is this the same as the DNX5120 but without the navigation which can be added later?
Yes, other than navigation, the two are identical. In fact, they both come with the same owner's manual.

You can add the KNA-G510 navigation module to the DDX-512 to end up with the same capabilities as the DNX5120. The only real difference is that you'll want to put the external nav module someplace where you can reach it since it uses a built-in SD slot to load updates.