AVIC411.com

D3 Power Off

Hi Everyone

I just recently had a D3 installed in my maxima with the ipod cable and swips steering adapter. I was fooling around with the settings and was unable to find a way to actually turn the entire unit off. The reason I ask is that I turned my ignition one click so that power goes to my cigarette lighter to charge my cell phone, but at that point I realized that the buttons on the D3 illuminate, along with the screen and the in screen clock. The only half-solution I've found out at this point is to adjust the illumination colour of the buttons to a REALLY dark blue so that it's as dim as possible. Please let me know if there is any way I can just have the unit off entirely, no lights, no clock or anything. Thanks in advance.

No real option to turn it off other than take the key out...You could simply swap the switched power wire in your 12v port to a constant power which would stay on all the time.

You could switch the screen off but the unit would still be running in the background.

No, it's not useless. It has the same exact functionality as it does on EVERY OTHER CAR STEREO ON THE MARKET. It turns your amplifier(s) on and off when the unit turns on and off. It just so happens that you can't actually turn the unit on and off. Which is where a switch on either the remote turn on lead or the red ACC wire would come into play, if for some reason you needed to turn off the unit or the amplifiers while the car is still on.

Posting just to follow this thread. I can't figure out why they bothered to put the "remote" wire lead on it, since you can't actually turn the deck off. (and thus the remote wire is useless)

What? Do you actually know what a remote wire is?

Remote wire - sends a signal to the amp that the deck is off, thus turning the amp off. But the D3 can't be shut off, and when in screen off or "off" mode, the remote wire is still hot.

Ok. Now I see what you mean. Yes. I find that to be a problem with the pioneer nav units. However, the remote wire isn't USELESS. At least if the vehicle is turned off the remote wire will lose power, thus turning off the amp. Your best bet is to either put a switch on the ACC wire or the remote wire.

By the way. I also have a 5.5th gen maxima. Are you a part of Maxima.org?

No, it's not useless. It has the same exact functionality as it does on EVERY OTHER CAR STEREO ON THE MARKET. It turns your amplifier(s) on and off when the unit turns on and off. It just so happens that you can't actually turn the unit on and off. Which is where a switch on either the remote turn on lead or the red ACC wire would come into play, if for some reason you needed to turn off the unit or the amplifiers while the car is still on.

Every other car stereo on the market can be turned off, without the need for a 3rd party inline power switch. So for them, the remote lead serves a purpose. But since you can't turn the D3 off, the "remote on" lead is pointless, you might as well wire the amp's remote lead straight to the ACC.

Doesn't make it useless. It keeps the installation simple by conforming to the industry standard for installing an external amplifier. You can't rely on people's ability to cope with situations the are unfamiliar with. If it wasn't there, and they were required to use the red ACC wire for both the radio and the amplifier(s) some people would get confused. Basically, there is no reason to remove it, so why remove it and possibly cause unnecessary confusion for your customers.

So just to clarify...

The D3 can not be shut off via it's stock form. IE: My subaru 6-disc player you push the volume button and it shuts off the unit or turns the unit on..etc.

The Avic by default does NOT do this without a simple toggle switched wired into the red ACC wire.

Is that correct?

Thanks,

-Nigel

Yes, it remains powered up to provide you with navigation messages when the car is on. You can only shut off the audio and/or video source by hitting the OFF button on the source selection screen or holding down the volume button.

Doesn't make it useless. It keeps the installation simple by conforming to the industry standard for installing an external amplifier. You can't rely on people's ability to cope with situations the are unfamiliar with. If it wasn't there, and they were required to use the red ACC wire for both the radio and the amplifier(s) some people would get confused. Basically, there is no reason to remove it, so why remove it and possibly cause unnecessary confusion for your customers.

My Eclipse unit is the same way.I have a power button but it just mutes or pause.