AVIC411.com

POI vicinity search?

I've had my D2 for a week, and just wanted to solve one more question...

Lets say I'm sitting in a parking lot 500 miles from home, and I realize that I need to go to the nearest Best Buy or Walmart. I can do a POI search for it, but it brings up all 400 stores within the 5 state zone that I'm in. If I don't know the area, it doesn't help me to search every small suburb that I don't know anyways, I just want to find the 1st closest, 2nd closest, etc. I've looked into the vicinity search, but the best I can find for this example is "shopping", which brings up every crappy little store, even under the limiters selected in the submenu. But it finds 100 vicinity results for things I would never care about. Why can't I limit it to a vicinity search of specific stores or keywords?

This lack of feature, until I figure it out, might make me ditch the D2, and I LOVE everything else about it... Please help!

So the AVIC doesn't assume that it might be possible that, using the GPS info, you might want to go to the closest one?

Typing the city/state doesn't work very well, since it limits it to locations within that city, not vicinity...

Is that the best this AVIC can do?

the update just might fix this problem, so I would wait.

I hope so because it's lame that a $999 GPS unit can't handle something as simple as that ...

I wouldn't hold my breath. I used to have a Garmin Streetpilot III, and that was much more functional than my N1 or D3. These devices are not meant for extreme functionality, in my opinion.

I'm confident the update will only add a few more POI's and one or two cosmetic UI changes.

I like my D3, but part of me wishes I shelled out the bucks for a Kenwood system. But for the price I paid, I'm still happy.