AVIC411.com

Can you use an IPOD with a dead battery?

I don't plan on walking around with the IPOD so a dead battery doesn't concern me.

I've never had one so I need to ask:

Will the IPOD work with the D3 when plugged in with the IPOD cable even if the battery is bad? Also, will it work on my computer with the USB cable?

I don't plan on being portable, I just don't want to buy one used if I run the risk of it not working.

Kid on craigslist has an 80g classic for $130. Seemed to be a good enough deal.

Thanks,

I don't know if an ipod with a dead battery will work if it's hooked up to a power source... I've never had one with a dead battery.

But you might want to think about buying an older version because of the video compatibility problem. You could probably find an 80 gig 5.5gen ipod with a working battery for around that much, maybe a little more. The classics won't play video over the interface cable. The 5.5 gens will.

I'm not saying it doesn't work. I haven't seen it yet. Guy seems decent on the phone.

I was just worried that I buy it and 5 months from now the battery is dead and it is useless. If it still works hooked up to the D3 with a bad battery I'm good with that.

Too bad it doesn't do the videos...having said that I'm not sure I'd be using it for videos while driving...or at least I shouldn't :lol:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it will work and here is why:

My iPod froze the other day and I had to let the battery die before I could use it again. Once it was out of power, it wouldn't turn on for regular use at all. But, plugged into my D3 it started up and was usable even when I couldn't use it otherwise.

Essentially, I believe that the iPod uses the D3 cable as an "external" battery and allows it to operate that way, rather than using the iPods own battery.

I hope that helped. I tried to explain it the best I could.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it will work and here is why:

My iPod froze the other day and I had to let the battery die before I could use it again. Once it was out of power, it wouldn't turn on for regular use at all. But, plugged into my D3 it started up and was usable even when I couldn't use it otherwise.

Essentially, I believe that the iPod uses the D3 cable as an "external" battery and allows it to operate that way, rather than using the iPods own battery.

I hope that helped. I tried to explain it the best I could.

That's kind of what I expected. The dead battery just acts as a lead for the good power coming from the head unit/car battery

It will all depend on whether the ipod will function with a power source or not. If its just the battery thats dead, i dont see why it wont work. If there is a power problem with the ipod and it doesnt even turn on, then it may be risky.

Ask the seller to power the ipod with a usb cable or ac cable and let you know if it functions....if it does, i think youll be good

It will all depend on whether the ipod will function with a power source or not. If its just the battery thats dead, i dont see why it wont work. If there is a power problem with the ipod and it doesnt even turn on, then it may be risky.

Ask the seller to power the ipod with a usb cable or ac cable and let you know if it functions....if it does, i think youll be good

In fact, have him take a picture of it working using the USB charger, just to to make sure.

But of course you said you aren't even sure that the battery is dead at this point, you just want to make sure it will still work if it does die.

So I guess you'll just find out, if you buy it and it does die.