AVIC411.com

Speaker not working in 2005 Corvette C6

One of my front door speakers (8") doesn't work 90% of the time and was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what I need to look at to fix the problem.

AVIC-D3 has been installed for about 13 months (I'm not saying it's a D3 problem) and my driver side speaker started acting up about 5 months ago... at first it was just a popping sound, but now it doesn't work at all for the most part unless it feels like it, then it starts working for a while then goes out again.

Today I replaced the 3.5" door speakers along with the 5.25" rear speakers and checked the connection for the 8" speaker on both ends (at the speaker and from the factory amp output) but didn't see anything obviously wrong and wiggling it didn't cause it to come on while the radio was playing. I also checked the connection between the D3 and the wiring harness, but nothing changed by moving the wires there either, so I don't think it's a problem with the connection there either.

Anyone have any ideas?????

Thanks

^ he's used two different speakers and they both did the same thing.

To the OP: Definitely seems like a connection problem somewhere. But if you say they're all solid, I don't really know what it could be.

Try hooking up your factory 5.25 to the lines going into your 8in speakers on low volume though, if the 5.25 works then its a safe bet to say its your 8in speaker thats bad; which is what i was thinking when i read your post.

If the 5.25 does not work with the 8in speaker lines, then i would hook up the 8in speaker itself to maybe the 3.5in speaker lines or even directly from a line ran from behind your radio that you know is working for sure. Doing the two above will help you eliminate the possibility of it being blown.

If the speakers are fine then you should look into continuity which in my experience is rare to have issues, the factory lines are ran in a way which will not be easily cut. If your speakers are blown i will personally look into the factory amp or the amp by pass harness.

Im assuming the amp was not bypassed since you mentioned you had atleast a 6 speaker system which a D3 by itself shouldnt be able to power.

If you can take some pictures of the install, im curious as to how it looks in the vette and where the amp is, if you dont mind that is.

I feel like an idiot... I tried everything, but hooking up a different speaker to that connection. I hooked up one of the 5 1/4" speakers I took out yesterday and it looks like I have a blown speaker after all. I guess I'm about to purchase replacement speakers for those two spots too...

Thanks for your help even though I should have thought about it myself... :-)

FYI... I replaced the two 3.5" in the doors and the two 5.25" in the rear with Infinity speakers (lower end because I'm not ready to put an aftermarket amp yet) and now will be looking for a replacement for the two 8" that are currently in the door also. Any ideas of what I should replace them with? I like the bass they provided for a factory setup, but I don't know if the amp will be able to push an aftermarket 8".

I will get some pictures of the install... I've been meaning to do that since I did the install more than a year ago.

Thanks again

If you can also take a picture of the hole your 8in sub came out of, and look on the speaker to check what ohm it is. Measure depth of the speaker too, that JL will definately be an improvement if it will fit and your factory amp can power it; also check if your stock sub location is sealed up nicely, that 8in jl is not a free air sub so it will not sound as well if its in a free air set up.

I believe the kicker comp vr series subs are free air compatible an im sure they have an 8in set up, but they have some pretty big magnets and in my opinion the JL brand offers better sound quality.

And dont worry about overlooking checking the line with another speaker; ive spent so much time troubleshooting car audio only to get so frustrated im on the verge of giving up and then a light comes on in my head.

Goodluck with your system, and those infinity speakers are awesome, did you get the reference series?

Yeah I bought the 3022cf 3.5" and the 5022i 5.25" Infinity Reference series to replace 4 of the speakers... There is also a center speaker in the middle of the dash that a lot of Corvette owners remove that I decided to remove rather than replace, but I think I'm missing that extra sound, so I might go ahead and get another 3.5 for that spot too.

I had a guy over at the Corvette forum recommend another JL speaker:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12352_JL+Audio+8W0-4.html

I'm not sure of the output of the OEM amp and am waiting for a response from someone over there, so hopefully someone can tell me. I noticed the speaker that was posted was 8 ohm... how can I tell which one I would need for the 'Vette?

Thanks for the great response...