AVIC411.com

any hope for a fix for the new z1's ?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I have never seen one I can't help right now. I was considering trying to track one down and just buy it to see if I can. I don't know if I will or not, but if I can get my hands on one, I will mess with it and see if anything can be done. I didn't figure out the first hack, someone else here did, I just made it automatic. If someone has the urge to start messing with your new one, feel free :)
[quote name="zeros"]thanks. i hope someone comes up with something.. i was very dissapointed to find out that your circuit didnt work on this one.. it worked great on my frist z1. thanks for that![/quote]

I'm pretty dissapointed as well. This is going to cause me months of headaches trying to support both "versions" with no external way of knowing which one you have. I hope someone comes up with something as well. If I had one of the new ones, I would be very pissed at pioneer.
To be honest, I think they changed it because of me. These companies know about these types of forums. And they watch them. When it was a manual flashing of the headlights they can say the person knew about it and did something on purpose to bypass the lockouts. Or with the TR7 it was at least difficult to do. But I came along and made something that was a no-brianer to install and did it automatically. It was a simple $40 add on to make the Z1 like it should and my guess is they didn't like this.

Either that or it really was a "bug" and this attention (here and on ebay) caused them to "tweak" their build.

I just hope someone (or I) has the guts to take one apart and see if there is anything that looks like we can mess with.

I have half a mind to try switching hard drives between a working one and a non-working one to see if that has any effect. It's possible it's on the hard drive. I doubt it, but it would be an "easy" fix.

It might be something as dumb as flip a switch under a sticker and it will work again. Who knows? Someone somewhere knows the truth, eventually it will filter down to us schmucks. :)
Pioneer would not change the easy bypass just for the hell of it. There are liability issues and since just about every unit got bypassed it was like they never put in the safety lock-out in the first place. In the US this means that the Lawyers are ligning up to hold Pioneer liable when there is any kind of an accident involving a bypassed Z1.

Pioneer making it easy for Customers to watch movies while driving is not a case that can be won in court!

Look for the fixed bypass to be some place other than in the part of the software that is updated from time to time (after all the software# didn't change) and if I'm right then all existing bypassed units are good for life even after updates.

On the other hand there is probably a good reason for making it possible to by-pass the units and therefore even the newest units should be able to be bypassed ..... but not as easily as before. The latest D2s can probably still be bypassed since it involves more than just flashing the headlights. (Maybe the new Z1s can now be bypassed the same way the D1 and D2 can?)

The latest way for bypassing can not be optained from Pioneer US or Canada. Dealers in Countries, where there is no liabitlity issues, will probably have the info.
[quote name="grcplaya"]shit I hope mine works since I just ordered it and the flasher. how can you tell if the software has been changed?will this be somehting I would be able to see on the unit itself?. :([/quote]

So far the "best" way is to look at the manufacture date. June 06 and before, chances are very good. July 06 and later, chances are very bad.
[quote name="ducatiboy"]To be honest, I think they changed it because of me. These companies know about these types of forums.
[/quote]

With all due respect sir, i dont think this is true. I think that there probably was an internal dialogue as far as the legal liability of someone crashing because they bypassed the moving lockouts and they decided they just didnt want to have to face that liability.

[quote]
And they watch them. When it was a manual flashing of the headlights they can say the person knew about it and did something on purpose to bypass the lockouts.
[/quote]

If the bypass is in there, doesnt matter if it was a manual flashing or an automatic flashing, in a legal proceeding these two would be very hard to distinguish.

[quote]
Either that or it really was a "bug" and this attention (here and on ebay) caused them to "tweak" their build.
[/quote]

i tend to agree with this statement, however i think it was more of an easter egg than an actual bug.

[quote]
I just hope someone (or I) has the guts to take one apart and see if there is anything that looks like we can mess with.
[/quote]

Its most likely a new firmware revision that disables the feature.

[quote]
I have half a mind to try switching hard drives between a working one and a non-working one to see if that has any effect. It's possible it's on the hard drive. I doubt it, but it would be an "easy" fix.
[/quote]

Swapping hard drives may or may not do something, the firmware is most likely what is enabling disabling this feature, but it is definitely worth a shot to see if this is a software level lockout.
I think Pioneer could have gotten in trouble because of the fact that you can unknowingly unlock the Z1. If you didn’t know about the light flash or the Ducatiboys bypass, you could accidentally unlock the Z1.

Either by remote start with your parking lights on flash or by turning your lights on when you start your car, then change your mind and turn them off.... either way your Z1 is now unlocked and you didn’t do it intentionally... if something happened then I would say Pioneer could be SUED.
[quote name="lcstyle"] [quote name="ducatiboy"]To be honest, I think they changed it because of me. These companies know about these types of forums.
[/quote]

With all due respect sir, i dont think this is true. I think that there probably was an internal dialogue as far as the legal liability of someone crashing because they bypassed the moving lockouts and they decided they just didnt want to have to face that liability..[/quote]

It's not about truth, it's about not knowing for sure what made them change it and voicing opinions. And since the 'Ducati' was offered as an add-on by just about every dealer he may just be right.

All Avics and for that matter almost all navis have the ability to be bypassed. My opinion is that on the Z1 that bypass was just too easy to accomplish. Just flashing the lights is something anyone can do without leaving a trace......

Now that there is an Avic411 forum (didn't exist when the Z1 was designed) this has quickly become common knowledge and every dealer made it known to the new owners and also offered to install the Ducati.

It's my opinion that the new Z1 can be bypassed by design but that this new bypass requires an intentional, [b]traceable[/b] intervention rather than just flashing the lights. By having intentionally cicumvented the lock-out feature the Liability for doing so shifts to the owner as well as to the installer. 8)