AVIC411.com

any hope for a fix for the new z1's ?

[quote name="Passat 05"]It's my opinion that the new Z1 can be bypassed by design but that this new bypass requires an intentional, [b]traceable[/b] intervention rather than just flashing the lights. By having intentionally cicumvented the lock-out feature the Liability for doing so shifts to the owner as well as to the installer. 8)[/quote]

Very well said, and I think you are right. I think they might have changed it to leave a trace. That's an excellent point. I also hope you are right about having a new way, I just hope we find it soon.
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are we really talking here? Is it mainly that we are losing the ability to watch DVD movies on the AVIC-Z1 unit itself up in the front seat while the car is moving, and the ability to change destinations on the fly? If those are the only two things that the bypass being disabled prevents us from doing, then maybe it is not so bad. I say this as someone who bought the DucatiBoy flasher but don't know yet if it will work for me since my car is scheduled to have the AVIC-Z1 installed this Friday. If you still have full access to the stereo features, XM or Sirius radio, nav traffic, phone (all I want to do is take a call and make a call), etc. Then the fact that we are all saying that we do not want to be dangerous and try to watch a DVD while driving (yeah, I know what about the front seat passenger? My solution is I'm getting my wife a sunvisor monitor) means I'm fine there. I don't think I would be changing where I'm going every couple of minutes on the road. Truthfully, I would ask the unit to show me how to get somewhere. Then when I was there, if I wanted to go somewhere else, I would do that while I was stopped and parked. Again, I feel the pain from people who want full unlocked access. I wanted it too. However, until I learn more about what I can't do with a locked AVIC-Z1, I'm not going to panic. I look at it like I look at my cable and satellite tv set-up. I pay for the total package from Comcast and from DirecTV, but I really only watch about 10 channels consistently. I just like having the choice and ability to be able to watch whatever might happen to come on, and not find out that there is something I want to watch but I can't because I don't get this or that particular channel. :) Is this what this really all boils down to people? We want to be able to decide for ourselves what we can and can't do, and not have Pioneer decide that for us? Feedback welcomed. Maybe I just don't know what the hell I am talking about. If so, someone please enlighten me. Thanks.
From what I understand rapayn1, some of your phone functionality will be disabled. You cannot access the phone book numbers on the Z1 while in motion. You could however use your phone to dial numbers and access stored numbers in your phone. Basically the Z1 will act like a wireless bluetooth headphone (speaker and mic...that's it)...if this is the case just stick with a wireless bluetooth headset unless you like the speaker phone-llike behavior of the Z1's phone.
rapayn1, you sound like someone who has never had a GPS system in a car before. I don't mean this as an insult of any type; just that if you had a GPS already you would know what you are missing by having the unit locked out while driving. To me this has nothing to do with playing a video while driving. I consider that stupid and unsafe behavior. But after having a portable GPS in my car for the past 8 months, and the factory navi for 2-1/2 years in my wife's Accord, (which has no lockout, by the way, just a disclaimer screen when you start up that must be acknowledged) I can tell you that you will find it very, very frustrating if you get stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic and can't have your $2000 navigation system suggest a detour without pulling over and putting on the parking brake.

I have often found myself hitting unexpected traffic (and don't fool yourself into thinking NavTraffic, or whatever they call it, will be updated quickly enough to an accident so you never get caught in traffic) and with a few quick button pushes on my Garmin have found a way around it. With the lockout, even though you are basically sitting still, you won't be able to do that. To me, that is the biggest disadvantage to the lockout.

Glad I found an April '06 Z1 for my new car.
ufd108,

No offense taken. You guessed correctly. This will be my first foray into the world of GPS navigation. So, that was why I posted the question of what are we really missing? I truly do not know. I wanted to know if I was stressing myself out over something that, FOR ME, really would not matter. I had some disposable income and chose to spend it on what seemed to be the hot automotive gadget at the time. I'm 40. So, every now and then I just decide to have some fun and this head unit looked like something that would be a real cool item to have. I still contend that probably more often than not, I would just be using the audio features of the AVIC-Z1 (CDs, MP3s, XM radio). On a long road trip, I may play a DVD for the people in the back and for my wife up front via her sunvisor. I also have the tv tuner. Same thing applies. When I don't feel like going into the bank or a store (especially during football season), I may just sit in the parking lot and and watch tv or a dvd that I made of the weekend's game. Again, I am all about choice or freedom of choice. So, I hope when they install my unit, that it was one made prior to July of 2006. If anyone can point me to a FAQ that lists what features won't work while moving, and even better for a newbie, why those features are important to have enabled, I would love to go there and read it. Thanks.
The only other way around that sort of problem is to always have the parking brake grounded. It won't work while driving but at least when stopped/in a slow state it will work without the 'actual' parking brake needing to be applied.

I've noticed that it is annoying as well, and this is my first GPS unit.

-Litos
[quote name="rapayn1"]If anyone can point me to a FAQ that lists what features won't work while moving, and even better for a newbie, why those features are important to have enabled, I would love to go there and read it. Thanks.[/quote]

So far, we don't have one, but I (or someone else) should type one up. It might be nice to know what will and will not work.
[quote name="DJ Machismo"]The only other way around that sort of problem is to always have the parking brake grounded. It won't work while driving but at least when stopped/in a slow state it will work without the 'actual' parking brake needing to be applied.

I've noticed that it is annoying as well, and this is my first GPS unit.

-Litos[/quote]

The problem with this is that you will get a "Hey your parking brake is not connected properly" warning message every time you start the car.

I don't know what makes this show up. I think that if the parking brake is grounded all the time and you watch a dvd, and then start to move, this comes up and will come up every time you start the car until you reset the unit. So then there are 2 "disclaimers". It might not show that screen if you are just doing nav features, but I'm not sure.
[quote name="DJ Machismo"]The only other way around that sort of problem is to always have the parking brake grounded.
-Litos[/quote]
well my unit stoped tracking any movement at all after a while when I had it grounded.... the arrow will not move..... I had to reset it.....
rapayn1, regarding the nav piece locking out. I'll give you an example of why it becomes annoying.

Your pimpin down the road somewhere you don't know very well, and at 40 years old with a z-1 - you are pimpin my friend. You and your passenger decide your hungry and would like something to eat (not mcDonalds, a real sit down meal - something nice. Unfamiliar with the area, and not seeing anything of your taste on the present road, you could go into your trusty nav unit and find the cantena of which your taste buds are very interested in. Instead, because your nav unit is locked out, you have to pull over, do a restaurant search and then get back on the road to your destination.

This is just one small thing that over time will nag you a bit. Let that happen to you once or twice when you really have an agenda, and you know that the nav can help, only you gotta pull over to use it.

Any scenerio you can think of that getting into the nav for the answer of, is not possible unless you pull over. This is the main reason for freeing up the lock. you have an awesome tool at your fingertips, that is rendered useless in motion, most noticed in a time of need.