AVIC411.com

HDTV Tuner for AVIC-Z1, Z2, Z3 here you go

Ok Guys, I want to give hope to you guys who want Digital TV in your car, now that normal analog TV will be out on FEB 2009. What you need is a Analog to Digital Converter Box wich is in reality a HD TV Tuner running on 120v, but I decided to open mine up to used it in my car with a 12v source.

Converter Box $59.99 http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... age=family

This is what I found. The CONVERTER BOX inside haves a separate power supply wich couldn't be more perfect for car use. The actual HDTV Tuner only needs a 3.3v and 5.5v DC source. You can make your own 12v to 5.5v and 3.3v power supply. I can make you a good quality custom 12v to 3.3v and 5.5v power supply for $50 shipped (power supply only) wich will go inside the box with 2 wires coming out. You can buy the HDTV tuner for less than $20 if you have the Goverment coupon.

Here is a picture of the HDTV tuner box opened.

PS: You only need VIDEO/AUDIO input in your head unit and you can use normal CAR TV ANTENNAS from the old TV tuners or buy the HD antennas wich are small and pick up signal pretty good.

Enjoy

hdtuner006rp2.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I'm reading, these are actually tuners. So you would have to have access to the box in order to actually watch any tv. That's why they have channel up & down buttons. The Pioneer tuner would have to remain on channel 3 (or 4).

:oops: So do I need a TV tuner as well as the converter? I know it is called a CONVERTER but is it whatever antenna I choose, converter, TV Tuner to AV in and then watch TV?

ALSO do I need to have the bypass to watch TV while "in motion"

It looks like this tuner has a composite video output as well as a mono audio output :

Outputs 1 x "F" Plug(To TV), 1 x RCA(Video), 1 x RCA(Audio)

You could just use a "Y" RCA splitter to connect the audio to both left and right channels on an AV input as well as the composite video. This means you can use this tuner without the pioneer tuner - You just won't have control over it from the HU itself.

Just went to the Radioshack link, and applied for the converter coupon for 40 bucks. It said I was approved just have to wait for it in the mail. I then can get the box for 20 bucks or so.

Once I get it, if I want to use an AC to DC converter, then plug it into the rca input jacks, would I get signal? Does it capture over the air frequency? and how would that work if traveling long distances? Would it need to search multiple times in different areas?

Is this a converter only? and not a HD tuner? If installed, can we still use the Pioneer TV tuner, to control it through the HU, or would this be connected to the AV in, and controlled separately?

This is a Digital TV tuner it will receive the New signal you won't be able to control this with the HU , only Volume. it comes with a remote control and a pretty nice menu, very easy to use.

From what I'm reading, these are actually tuners. So you would have to have access to the box in order to actually watch any tv. That's why they have channel up & down buttons. The Pioneer tuner would have to remain on channel 3 (or 4).

Yeap you can use this with a CAR MONITOR wich only haves video inputs and no tuners.

:oops: So do I need a TV tuner as well as the converter? I know it is called a CONVERTER but is it whatever antenna I choose, converter, TV Tuner to AV in and then watch TV?

ALSO do I need to have the bypass to watch TV while "in motion"

It looks like this tuner has a composite video output as well as a mono audio output :

Outputs 1 x "F" Plug(To TV), 1 x RCA(Video), 1 x RCA(Audio)

You could just use a "Y" RCA splitter to connect the audio to both left and right channels on an AV input as well as the composite video. This means you can use this tuner without the pioneer tuner - You just won't have control over it from the HU itself.

Wrong my friend, it haves Stereo Dolby Digital Sound RCA outputs

Is this a converter only? and not a HD tuner? If installed, can we still use the Pioneer TV tuner, to control it through the HU, or would this be connected to the AV in, and controlled separately?

This is a Digital TV tuner it will receive the New signal you won't be able to control this with the HU , only Volume. it comes with a remote control and a pretty nice menu, very easy to use.

So I can deal with that. I can deal with this little box stuffed in the well with everything else, connect it to a DC port and connect it to the RCA input jacks and control it with its own remote. I am curious to see how good the reception is or more important how many channels I will get.

CRD how are the instructions on making your own converter?

Thanks in advance.

H-