AVIC411.com

It's time we Appreciated the D3

Over the past week or so I've been looking at redoing my car audio/video system. I've had the D3 since February, but I'm just one of those people that always wants to do something else. Sometimes its good, sometimes its bad, but thats neither here nor there.

After some research, I was on the verge of building a carputer. Basically I wanted to have a massive harddrive for all my media in the car. But, the further I dove into the carputer world, I realized I was thinking of more questions, and things seemed to become increasingly difficult.

During this period I listed my AVIC-D3 with iPod and Bluetooth on craigslist, thinking I didn't need it anymore. Then when the carputer stuff got real confusing, I started looking at other Double Din headunits that I could replace the D3 with using the D3 sale money.

Then all of a sudden it hit me. "Your stupid!" A carputer would be an upgrade because of the harddrive, no dvd disc navigation, and internet service.

But, when you really think about it, itsn't worth it in Pittsburgh, trying to get a system that can meet freezing cold temps up to scorching heat.

And for what it costs, I dare someone to find a system that offers more, or even as much. I used to be a big fan of Alpine's W200 and then 205, and I considered the D3 a suitable replacement when I didn't want to pay for the W205 and the Blackbird II. Now, I wouldn't trade the D3 for the 205 for anything. It just seems bland in comparison.

Then I started to think about why I was so down on the D3, and I figured it out. These forums inadvertently bring down the D3.

I'm always on here either looking for help with a problem I'm having with it(besides Bluetooth and my 8125 or RAZR V3xx I'm not having any more problems), or trying to help other people with their problems.

So basically I spend most of my time harping on its problems rather than appreciating what a good unit it is. And what a remarkably great unit it is in any price comparison.

So basically that is my rant about the D3. I don't know if anyone else is thinking along the same lines, but I believe, unless you have unlimited funds and money means nothing to you, that every D3 owner should try and find a better product for the same price. If you really think about it is a fantastic system.

There I've vented and said my peace. Post what you must.

On a separate note I figure I'll just get a new iPod with 160 GB so I can store all the media I please.

I agree with you. Even though the D3 is obviously not the best system out there, what it is is a great value. Just listing what it does makes me wonder how they got everything to fit in it and make the original MSRP under $1,000. And with the incentives now, people can get it much cheaper. Sure, the new f series is coming out, but those will start off being sold close to 2 times what you can get a D3 package right now. Again, D3 is not perfect, ie that 160 GB iPod you're going to get will not play video with latest ipod firmware, but it's still a great system for the price.

Thats why i'm still happy with my D3. I have had complaints. it's not perfect.

you could easily build / buy a system that takes care of all these complaints and works much much better

But for the cost of the D3? its a good deal

I do agree. I admit, I wish it did have a hard drive to save music and video to, but for the price point, it is a BEST BUY in my book any day. The system is well made and a brand name at that, that does excatly what it was made to do. The system gets a A- in my book.

No complaints here.... and kudos to you for starting this topic Nomar1245.

You get an amen brother from me :D

I too was looking into putting in a car computer, and the more I read, the more I didn't like. I'm very experienced with PCs, but I don't have the time for stuff to break, and dealing with the various front ends and the compromises that go with them just didn't make sense.

Once Pioneer started closing out the D3 the price made it a no brainer. I get Nav, Bluetooth, and iPod control for 750 (after rebate). The carputer project was going to cost a least that much, and it's darn near impossible to get bluetooth to work.

I think the units are a good price and provide good functionality.

No complaints from me.