AVIC411.com

Nav disc stuck in D2 + Insert Appropriate disc error

So I've done a search,, but can't seem to find an answer to this one. D2 has been working fine for the past 3 months. Today I tried to navigate to a specific address, and it told me it could not do it (can't remember the error message). I input the address manually, and the screen went blank, followed by the Insert Appropriate Disc error. Now I can't get the nav disk out. Do I have to remove the unit and send it in? I've already reset the thing twice with no change. I've got another disk I can use if I can get this old one out. Thanks for any help -

OK, here's an update... After screwing with it for a while, I HAD to get on the road. After about 1/2 mile of driving, it started up. Hmm. Went OK for the trip from Dallas to Kansas City. I noticed while driving through Lawrence, KS that all of a sudden the screen showed that I was driving into a solid blue square - no roads, nothing. Just a solid blue square. When I hit the blue square, "Insert Appropriate disc" came back on. When I turned around and went back into the area I came from, it went back to normal. Earlier today, I hit the Dest button to type in an address and it flipped out once again with a "power off and restart" message in 3 languages. When I did that, it came up with the "insert appropriate disc" error. When I turned off the car and restarted, it came back to normal again.

When operating normally, I can get the nav disc out. When in the "Insert" mode, it won't eject. Do I have a bad disc, or a bad/dirty reader? Anyone had similar issues? Tomorrow I'm going back to an older disc to see what the performance is from it - maybe that will give me a clue.

Wow - no one has an answer? Or maybe we're all on vacation this weekend?

So it worked OK after a half dozen resets and car restarts (full power off for over a minute). Halfway on my trip back from Kansas City to Dallas I noticed the screen showed me driving in solid blue - nothing else. Zooming out to the 1 mile view got me back to seeing roads againl but I could see a square of blue hovering on the far left side of the screen. Zooming back in put me back into the solid blue state again. At that point I was not using the nav system. When I asked it to find my way back home, it told me it could not find the route from my current location. Then when I stopped for gas and restarted the car, "Insert Appropriate Disc" came back on. It stayed that way for four hours, despite several attempts to reboot/restart. After the last stop in Texas before getting home, it miraculously started up again.

I've noticed that it takes a LONG time to get off the Pioneer screen when starting, sometimes going black and then going back to the Pioneer screen before fully starting.

SO - is it the head unit or the disc? When I put an older disc back in, it told me it "was not the proper disc".

I've about had it with this thing - I need a reliable nav system, not something I have to baby constantly. I see a guy on eBay that advertizes a fix for the "insert appropriate disc" error - is this not something someone here is familiar with? After all my problems, I can't imagine I'm the only one out there.

Thanks for ANY responses.

Guess I'm the only one with this problem here, even though I see there's a guy on eBay that advertizes this particular fix for $120-ish dollars. I reinstalled an older disc and reinstalled the new disc - the only thing I see as a correlation in any of this is the temperature of the unit itself. When it's over 85-90 degrees, it will shut down or refuse to restart if the car is shut off. Not so good in Texas... If it sits overnight and cools off, it will restart and work like nothing has happened. Of course, I'm 7 days out of warranty. I officially hate this unit and am officially looking for something else. Sorry no one else has this problem - I was hoping for some help here. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Updated post - The unit got to the point where it would not do anything nav-related. Just the white screen with the insert disc error. Wouldn't eject the disc no matter how many times I tried or in what conditions. Many resets and reloads, etc. I tried everything that I could find here and elsewhere on the net to fix it myself. I finally pulled the unit and sent it in for repair. I'll post up the results of that when I hear the damages. What a joke - 3 month old unit...

Are you using the original Pioneer nav disk, or are you using a copy?

I used the Pioneer 60mt initially, upgraded to the 70mt, and it was a couple weeks after that this whole mess started. I downgraded back to the 60 which worked for a day or so, but the unit was returned for repair with the Pioneer disc stuck inside. No copies used.

I got a call from the repair facility this afternoon, and the problem was a bad chip on the GPS board. There was no way I was ever going to fix this myself. This problem was preventing the unit from reading the disc, which is why it kept giving me the error message - it had no idea I had inserted a disc at all. The laser is fine, the rest of the unit is fine - just this chip. The whole GPS board had to be replaced. Pioneer is refusing to cover this under warranty, even though it happened within 90 days of me purchasing the unit. Nice. Really gets me pumped up to buy something else from them. SO - constant "insert appropriate disc" errors MIGHT be a sign that your GPS board is going bad, or at least a piece of it. You probably can't fix it yourself. The repair cost $125 plus $20 shipping from Repair Tech City in Hartford, CT. I found them on eBay as "repair_techs" - 789 feedbacks and zero negatives. I figured they could fix it. Give them a shot if you have reached the end of your navigational rope, as I had. They'll have 790 positive feedbacks when I finish leaving my comments.

I'm really not sure what is covered... It's been very frustrating. I've done everything I'm supposed to to register the complaint, but all I get is a generic response from Pioneer telling me to send it in with $200 to their repair facility in Long Beach, California. No other communication has come from them despite numerous attempts calling and e-mailing. So to be as fair as possible to them, they haven't DENIED me a warranty repair, they just won't ANSWER me in any way. After a month of this run-around, I gave up and sent it to this other repair facility - anything to keep Pioneer from getting any more of my money. Pioneer IS kind enough to continually send me e-mails regarding the new F series, if I'm interested... I will say that the repair tech was confident in his repair and I hope that my next experience with this unit is nothing but trouble free. I like the damn thing, but it needs to work, obviously...

I got the unit back from repair yesterday and installed it today - works great. Not a glitch or hint of a problem. This issue seems to be a far worse repair that most that we can do ourselves and will most times need to be sent for repair unless the problem can be tracked to the disk itself. Wish this hadn't dragged out so long, but it's in, running and making me happy.

• 2 weeks later...