AVIC411.com

D3 bypass without interfering with mute capability...

I wish to preform the D3 bypass without interfering with mute capability.

I have a 2007 Trailblazer SS with Onstar integrated and need/want my mute function intact.

I think I must be missing something in the write ups because I don't understand why you couldn't just add an additional wire to the harness to facilitate the bypass.

Big brains please speak up and guide me in the right direction.

Cheers,

Steve

From what I read in one of the posts here.. If you wanted, you could pull a wire that you were not going to use and just move it.. I could be wrong or may have misread it, but I'm pretty sure it was said that you could use any of the pins in that harness..

GL!

eGo

I'm not 100% certain but if my harness is utilizing all of the wires (VSS, brake, mute, etc.) why couldn't you just install another wire to the empty location of the harness to work the bypass?

Because you need to have the proper pin to fit in the wiring harness. You can't just shove a wire in there and hope for it to stay in. The pin clips in the harness and will not come out. Doing it any other way is just asking for connection problems.

I guess I really need to spell this out to avoid the miscommunication.

I understand you couldn't just stuff a wire in there and make it work, well at least not reliably for any length of time. :roll:

ASSUMING a person utilizes an appropriate pin to retain a newly installed wire into the appropriate location within the harness connector, this method should also allow the bypass to work correctly.

... unless I'm missing something else?

Yes, that's absolutely true. The problem is finding the proper pin/clip to fit in the harness, which is why it's usually suggested to use one of the existing wires. But if you can find the right type of connector, you can use any wire you want, as long as it grounds the circuit at that pin position.

i may have posted this before but, i have installed at least a dozen avic d's in the past few years, on the d3's, if you do not want to move that wire you can get a DEI antenna wire from an alarm or remote start system with the antenna harness and cut it open from the black plug side closeset to the antenna and take any of the three wires out with the pin, the pin in that harness fits EXACTLY in to that open slot for the bypass.

i may have posted this before but, i have installed at least a dozen avic d's in the past few years, on the d3's, if you do not want to move that wire you can get a DEI antenna wire from an alarm or remote start system with the antenna harness and cut it open from the black plug side closeset to the antenna and take any of the three wires out with the pin, the pin in that harness fits EXACTLY in to that open slot for the bypass.

Awesome! I'm sure I have an old DEI unit in a box somewhere.

Packrat joy!

You do not need the mute wire for onstar. The only time you do use the mute wire, is on a aftermarket hands free kit which has a seperate speaker.

The correct module for your car will take care of muting internally, or it will just shut off the radio.