AVIC411.com

I thought this was a cleaning issue, but I ran the DVD cleaning disk several times and I still get "PLEASE INSERT APPROPRIATE DISK"

Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do? Is this a cleaning issue that needs compressed air or could it be an alignment issue..or....???

Obviously the Nav is useless right now.

Thanks in advance for your help!

The D2 read the disk fine for several months. BTW, I know which slot needs to be used as this is a DVD ROM. The unit will now sometimes intermittently read the DVD and the Nav will work fine. Most of the time now though, it still cannot read the disk. I even tried the other region disks and the same thing happens.

I plugged the DVD into my PC and it brought up all the loaded files, so I know the DVD is good. Besides, I don't know how these things would get worn since nothing touches the surface, it's all read by a beam.

Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong with my D2 that it co0nnaot read the DVD ROM? Everything else works fine.

Should I take it out and send it in to Pioneer or is it something I cna fix?

Thanks!

The laser could be defective or the drive mechanism.I read another post of the same issue on the site.The disk can get worn by taking it out and putting it back in the slot overtime and more so if you don't watch how you lay it down without the case.Have you tried a reset? At this point it won't hurt.You will lose your settings,check the manual.

Yea, no need to ever take the disc out. I can hear it clicking/searching when the DVD is in, then the screen comes up with the error message and there is no more "searching" for the disc info by the D2. Haven't tried the reset, but not sure if that would actually affect the reading of the DVD ROM. I guess it couldn't hurt.

Hopefully someone else who has been down this road will have a suggestion.

Your D2 is like a computer,when your PC misbehaves sometimes a reboot will clear the problem if not then a restore or recovery.I would say the reset is more like a recovery because its taking you back to factory settings.

Do you smoke? If so, you might have to dismantle it and clean the lens with a Q-tip.

If not, it's possible the laser just wore out. It used to happen a lot with car audio stuff, especially stuff made by Sony or using Sony laser pickups (I don't know what Pioneer uses).

No smoking. I have only had the unit installed for about a year.

I called Pioneer and they said to send the unit to them with a $200 money order and they will fix it. That is their flat fee. I tried to find a local place, but no one deals with these things anymore, they say they all just send them back to the manufacturer.

I am going to try some compressed air today. If that doesn't work, I will remove the unit and think about taking it apart. I figure if I screw up, I can still just send it to Pioneer with my $200 and get it back working in a week.

Sounds like I am probably the only one who has experienced this...which is good as it is not a common thing.

Thanks for the help!

You're not the only one - I have a thread going right now as well with no real replies... I have not figued the problem out, but have found a repair facility in Hartford, CT called Repair Tech City that sells their services on eBay for $125 to fix this problem. I'm waiting for a reply from them now to see if they can tell me what is involved in this repair. They offer one day turnaround and a one year warranty on repairs. If I send mine off, I'll post up my experience and satisfaction with the service.

I have the D1 and my unit is starting to give me troubles, some of the function of the unit is starting to disappear. For example, I only have one map view options and there is no more background images on the unit. The drive seems to be functioning, but its not reading everything.

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine repaired - the problem was on the GPS board. No way to fix this yourself unless you happen to have another board to swap in, which is what the repair tech had to do. I'm still waiting to get it back, but it's on the UPS truck now. I'll install it next Saturday and see if it all works again.

EDIT: Got it installed and everything works now as it should.