AVIC411.com

z2 to replace shaker 500 in 06 mustang?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 2006 mustang with the shaker 500 system. Will the avic z2 work as a replacement? How much of the factory stuff will need to be replaced? Anyone done this in a mustang? Thanks

i just bought my fiance' an 06 stang and its got the shaker. all you need is an OEM radio wiring harness, an avic, and a trim kit. also the tools and knowledge to swap units :wink:

Cool! Did you put a z2 in it? How does it work woth the shaker amps and speakers? Did you do anything else to it?

o i didnt put anything into it lol i just know electronics. im not too familiar with shaker tho, as far as it having factory amps and such. my rx8 has bose so i hadda buy bose adaptors. so if the car does have amps then you need an adaptor of some sort and youd hafta use the system remote wire to power the stock amp. lemme know if you find anything out, and ill search too, cuz i was gonna get an avic for her

Yea, I have gone the crutchfield route many times I just had my worries as to whether this was gonna work with the shaker sub and amps in the doors. Looks like it will. Guess I will take the plunge since I cant seem to find anyone who has actually done this to thier vehicle. Thanks

Yea, I have gone the crutchfield route many times I just had my worries as to whether this was gonna work with the shaker sub and amps in the doors. Looks like it will. Guess I will take the plunge since I cant seem to find anyone who has actually done this to thier vehicle. Thanks

trust me itll work. those plugs include the shaker amp.

I put the Avic Z3 into my 07 Mustang with a Shaker 1000 sub woofer. You will want to pick up a $2 part at radio shack otherwise you will have an annoying pop in your subs every time you power up the head unit. The subs in a Mustang only need 5V to power up. The Avic's send out 12V to the relay's that turn on the amps. The part you want is a 5V fixed voltage regulator. Radio Shack catalog number 276-1770. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... 2062599&cp

The only other modification is the headlamp dimmer wire. The factory harness does not supply this. You will want to run a wire over to the back side of your headlamp switch. Locate the orangish/tanish wire with a white stripe and tap into it there.

EDIT: The only difference between the Shaker 500 and 1000 is the number of amps. The 500 has the subs in the front of the doors. The 1000 has these as well in addition to the large sub box in the trunk.

I put the Avic Z3 into my 07 Mustang with a Shaker 1000 sub woofer. You will want to pick up a $2 part at radio shack otherwise you will have an annoying pop in your subs every time you power up the head unit. The subs in a Mustang only need 5V to power up. The Avic's send out 12V to the relay's that turn on the amps. The part you want is a 5V fixed voltage regulator. Radio Shack catalog number 276-1770. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... 2062599&cp

The only other modification is the headlamp dimmer wire. The factory harness does not supply this. You will want to run a wire over to the back side of your headlamp switch. Locate the orangish/tanish wire with a white stripe and tap into it there.

EDIT: The only difference between the Shaker 500 and 1000 is the number of amps. The 500 has the subs in the front of the doors. The 1000 has these as well in addition to the large sub box in the trunk.

thanks for the info :D sorry for a the noobish question, but where does that regulator get wired into???

thanks for the info :D sorry for a the noobish question, but where does that regulator get wired into???

No need to apologize. Having questions up front is better than during the installation. I am assuming you are or have purchased a wiring harness kit. The harness for the subs has 4 wires coming off of it. Depending on the kit, two are blue with a white strip and the other two are actually red and white RCA jacks. Don't think of these as left and right. You will want to solder some leads off of the regulator so you easily work with it. The two blue/white wires connect to one side of the regulator, the middle post on the regulator is ground, which gets grounded. The other side of the regulator goes to the amp on wire coming from the head unit. When the HU sends out a 12V on signal, the regulator reduces that to 5V and then continues on to the relays that power the amps/subs. The RCA jacks on the harness go to the subwoofer RCA leads from the HU. Red to Red, White to White.

Lastly, if you plan to hook up the speed pulse or vehicle speed sensor cable (VSS,) It is possible to come through the firewall behind the glove box where the factory antenna comes through. Removal of the battery and battery tray is needed. And with a buddy, one to push through and one to grab it, the wire can be fed. This is the way I ran it instead of going through the clutch cable area on the drivers side.

I read these write-ups which helped me answer a few questions.

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_3581800/tm.htm

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_4489289/tm.htm

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=736028

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=749121

No need to apologize. Having questions up front is better than during the installation. I am assuming you are or have purchased a wiring harness kit. The harness for the subs has 4 wires coming off of it. Depending on the kit, two are blue with a white strip and the other two are actually red and white RCA jacks. Don't think of these as left and right. You will want to solder some leads off of the regulator so you easily work with it. The two blue/white wires connect to one side of the regulator, the middle post on the regulator is ground, which gets grounded. The other side of the regulator goes to the amp on wire coming from the head unit. When the HU sends out a 12V on signal, the regulator reduces that to 5V and then continues on to the relays that power the amps/subs. The RCA jacks on the harness go to the subwoofer RCA leads from the HU. Red to Red, White to White.

Thanks for the info!! actually i havent bought anything, my fiance's birthday is comin up and she just picked up an 06 stang so i wanted to hook her up with an avic. i did however find the wiring harness needed off crutchfield, with the shaker amp adaptor, & ill deff order one of those regulators. Thanks again!!

Not sure how much your time is worth, but you might want to look at a PAC c2r-frd1 wiring harness. List is like $140, can be found for around $70. Well worth it if you don't want to do a lot of wiring in cramped places.

It is a canbus adapter wiring harness.

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/produ ... ce-a-Radio

About half way down the page.

• R.A.P. (Retained Accessory Power) +12v output.

• VSS output.

• Illumination output.

• Parking brake output.

• Reverse trigger output.

• Digital amp turn-on.

• Discrete 5v amp turn-on

All right in the harness.

Much easier install, and no tapping/splicing of any factory wires.

Just my $0.02.

Not sure how much your time is worth, but you might want to look at a PAC c2r-frd1 wiring harness. List is like $140, can be found for around $70. Well worth it if you don't want to do a lot of wiring in cramped places.

It is a canbus adapter wiring harness.

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/produ ... ce-a-Radio

About half way down the page.

• R.A.P. (Retained Accessory Power) +12v output.

• VSS output.

• Illumination output.

• Parking brake output.

• Reverse trigger output.

• Digital amp turn-on.

• Discrete 5v amp turn-on

All right in the harness.

Much easier install, and no tapping/splicing of any factory wires.

Just my $0.02.

THANKS FOR THE TIP!! so thats the radio wiring harness that i would need and it also works for shaker 500 and 1000??

THANKS FOR THE TIP!! so thats the radio wiring harness that i would need and it also works for shaker 500 and 1000??

Yep. No thanks needed. I was tickled s***less when I came across it. Probably saved myself a good 3-4 hours of sweat.

Compatible Vehicles:

2005-2007 Five Hundred, Freestyle, Montego

2005-2008 Mustang (Shaker 500 and 1000 included)

2006-2008 Explorer, Fusion, Milan, Zephyr, Mountaineer

2007-2008 MKX, MKZ, Navigator, Sport Trac, Edge, Expedition

2008 Escape, F-250, F-350, F-450, Taurus (X), Marnier, Sable

2008 F250/350/450 with XL trim package are NOT compatible!

Latest Revision: 1.1.2

Instruction manual...

http://www.pac-audio.com/instructions/c2r-frd1.pdf

It actually has a few extra things in it as well. No need for steering wheel control wire. There is also no factory rear seat entertainment wiring in a 'stang, but if it has the factory line in wiring, that should wire up as well. Can't verify that, mine is an '05 and factory line input didn't exist.