AVIC411.com

z2 to replace shaker 500 in 06 mustang?

I am a dealer expeditor that specializes in Ford. The PAC piece is definitely the easiest way to get Z2 installed. As far as using the harness referenced from crutchfield it is a METRA 70-5521. The radio shack regulator can be used, but there is a much easier way. Put between a 3.5k up to 5k resistor (I usually use a 3.9k or 4.7k from Radio Shack 1/4 or 1/2 watt doesn't matter either works fine) in line with the blue/white amp turn on wire. Meaning attach one end of the resistor to the wire coming from the radio harness and the other end to the adapter harness. This will eliminate the amp turn on pop. And for the RCA's you will only need the white one and the blue/white turn on wire that is in the same row. The red RCA drives the trunk subwoofers with the shaker 1000 system. I use an RCA-Y adapter with 1 female end and two male ends to connect the single white RCA to the radios dual subwoofer outputs.

For the speed signal it is dark blue with yellow at the PCM top connector pin 3. PCM is located under the hood passenger side front of engine compartment. I run the wire through the firewall grommet in passenger footwell area. Turn the wheels all the way to the right and you can pull the inner fender well plastic out easily enough to reach in and grab the wire put through the grommet. Then feed it under the battery tray to inside of engine compartment with a coat hanger or something simular. From there run it forward to the PCM, connect and cover with split loom.

The reverse wire is White with Yellow in harness under passengers side door sill plate coming from the fuse box (called the smart junction box).

Illumination is Black with Pink in the harness going through firewall in passenger footwell area. This wire powers front parking light.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a dealer expeditor that specializes in Ford. The PAC piece is definitely the easiest way to get Z2 installed... regulator...

resistor... speed signal ... pull the inner fender well plastic out ... coat hanger ... firewall ...

:shock:

Your instructions are exactly the reason I spent the extra $ for the PAC. I just don't have the patience to do much of that stuff anymore. Sure didn't want to crawl into the tire well to install a radio... :roll: Running wires is one thing, keeping it all neat is a different story. I also have a deep aversion to doing anything to factory wiring. Hats off to you guys that do this stuff for a living.

Glad to hear that you agree on the PAC harness. Nice write-up, though. Very informative.

I am a dealer expeditor that specializes in Ford. The PAC piece is definitely the easiest way to get Z2 installed... regulator...

resistor... speed signal ... pull the inner fender well plastic out ... coat hanger ... firewall ...

:shock:

Your instructions are exactly the reason I spent the extra $ for the PAC. I just don't have the patience to do much of that stuff anymore. Sure didn't want to crawl into the tire well to install a radio... :roll: Running wires is one thing, keeping it all neat is a different story. I also have a deep aversion to doing anything to factory wiring. Hats off to you guys that do this stuff for a living.

Glad to hear that you agree on the PAC harness. Nice write-up, though. Very informative.

AGREED. not about the aversion, i meant the informative part. hands down the most useful information ive gotten from this forum so far. and its only tapping into the factory wires if you wanna do the reverse wire or the vss. everything else is plug and play, correct sterodan??

Well I got the z2, bluetooth, XM and camera in today and so far everything works great. I have to tuck the wires and put all the panels back on tomorrow. I have the AVIC n2 in my truck and it doesnt start to compare to the z2. All I can say is WOW, I love this thing!

100_2404.jpg[/img]

Hey guys

I actually just bought the z2 today and I'm gonna be putting it in my '06 Mustang with the Shaker 500. I plan on buying that PAC wiring harness to save myself some trouble when installing it.

Is there anything that I'll need besides a mounting kit when installing z2? I'd like to just do it myself instead of having Circuit City do it...

Hey guys

I actually just bought the z2 today and I'm gonna be putting it in my '06 Mustang with the Shaker 500. I plan on buying that PAC wiring harness to save myself some trouble when installing it.

Is there anything that I'll need besides a mounting kit when installing z2? I'd like to just do it myself instead of having Circuit City do it...

u need a wiring harness

a double din dash kit or the 06 mustang

the oem wiring harness kit for an o6 mustang

a 06 mustang shaker adaptor

a 1000ohm resistor or a 5v regulator from radioshack

much patience for those pain in the ass temperature plugs :lol:

Solder, Soldering Iron, Heat shrink tubing.

Electrical tape and zip ties are also very handy to have.

PAC harness isn't exactly cheap for a wiring harness, but I sure am glad I had it. Everything just "worked." Truly a painless install.

Granted, that was for an f-series, but it should be just as painless on a z.

u need a wiring harness

a double din dash kit or the 06 mustang

the oem wiring harness kit for an o6 mustang

a 06 mustang shaker adaptor

a 1000ohm resistor or a 5v regulator from radioshack

much patience for those pain in the ass temperature plugs :lol:

He has PAC harness. It takes care of all of that for you.

mroaches, you bought the c2r-frd1 oem stereo replacement harness, right?

I got my Z2 from crutchfield, it came with the radio, blue tooth adapter, ipod interface, camera, disassembly and reassembly instructions, all wiring harnesses and adapters, install instructions etc for $1399 and was here in 2 days. Everything i needed was in the box except the resistor mod and the xm box. Instructions were very easy. Just do the wiring harness inside in the air conditioning before you go out to the car. Take your time and read the book and posts it is not hard at all and sure beats paying bb 300-400 to do it.

Well they went up 100 from when I got mine 2 weeks ago :shock:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/ ... Z2X&tp=526

If I just hook the camera wire (that goes to the reverse sensor) to a 12v supply with an on/off switch would this affect my navigation if I switched it on while moving? I know I can use the split screen view in the navigation while driving but I like the full view pic better.

I haven't bought it yet. I was waitng to buy it to see if anything else was needed after I buy it. I think I found it for $77 w/ free shipping somewhere...

So the wiring harness takes care of everything listed above (except for the mounting kit)??? There's no need for the 5v regulator, shaker adaptor, & or any other wiring harness?

I got my Z2 from crutchfield, it came with the radio, blue tooth adapter, ipod interface, camera, disassembly and reassembly instructions, all wiring harnesses and adapters, install instructions etc for $1399 and was here in 2 days. Everything i needed was in the box except the resistor mod and the xm box. Instructions were very easy. Just do the wiring harness inside in the air conditioning before you go out to the car. Take your time and read the book and posts it is not hard at all and sure beats paying bb 300-400 to do it.

Well they went up 100 from when I got mine 2 weeks ago :shock:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/ ... Z2X&tp=526

:x Damn I missed that. I just paid $1,150.00 free shipping for mine off eBay. It was brand new for $1,050 free shipping then I paid an additional $100 for the Pioneer 5 yr. warranty

I haven't bought it yet. I was waitng to buy it to see if anything else was needed after I buy it. I think I found it for $77 w/ free shipping somewhere...

Sounds about right. Found mine for $72 + shipping.

So the wiring harness takes care of everything listed above (except for the mounting kit)??? There's no need for the 5v regulator, shaker adaptor, & or any other wiring harness?

Correct. The PAC harness has...

• R.A.P. (Retained Accessory Power) +12v output. *rock on*

• VSS output.

• Illumination output.

• Parking brake output.

• Reverse trigger output.

• Digital amp turn-on.

• Discrete 5v amp turn-on

Took me about an hour to solder/heat shrink everything up on the work bench, then it was just a matter of sticking it all in the dash. Just need a mounting kit.

Sounds about right. Found mine for $72 + shipping.

Correct. The PAC harness has...

• R.A.P. (Retained Accessory Power) +12v output. *rock on*

• VSS output.

• Illumination output.

• Parking brake output.

• Reverse trigger output.

• Digital amp turn-on.

• Discrete 5v amp turn-on

Took me about an hour to solder/heat shrink everything up on the work bench, then it was just a matter of sticking it all in the dash. Just need a mounting kit.

Sounds good. Thanks for the help.

Cheapest Ive found it - $75 + 7 shipping

http://www.ambientweather.com/ptpacc2rfrd1.html