AVIC411.com

On the fence F90BT or DNX 8120

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mikeinnj,

I think I saw a post from you earlier that you had previously had a Kenwood DNX5120? If so, if one didn't need the BT, doesn't have an iPod and doesn't mind the slightly smaller screen compared to the DNX8120 ... do you think the 5120 and Garmin FM antenna would be a decent option to the F900/F90 & MSN Direct? The prices would be in the same ball park. ...

Thanks,

pat----

Definitely. The Garmin nav really is fantastic and the RDS (Radio Data Service) on regular FM stations works great as well. The only and I mean ONLY reason I sold it to get the F series was the iPod voice control. Now that everything else on the F series is broken, the voice is plain not worth it. Since I already sold the 5120, I had to go out and buy another one. And since my dealer felt bad about the 700BT sucking, they're giving me the 8120 AT COST. So win for me.

My dealer just got the 90BTs in yesterday and has my 8120 coming in Monday. I took home the 90BT tonight. I installed it. I put it back in the box.

Watching the video of the 8120, I can't wait. I really can't wait til Monday.

Mike - Was the F90 display as poor as it was on your 700?

Yeah, same dark, low contrast display. Hopefully in a firmware update they will allow for changing menu colors and more controls over video quality than just "Brightness". Contrast controls, etc would help fine tune and brighten things up a bit.

Definitely. The Garmin nav really is fantastic and the RDS (Radio Data Service) on regular FM stations works great as well. ...

Thank you sir! And it really does sound like things worked out quite well for you. T'is good to hear. :)

pat----

About 1 page back it was noted that the iphone did not have good outgoing BT sound quality on the 8120 (however it worked better for other phones). In fact, he noted that it was better with his Z3.

Can anyone else confirm the 8120 BT performance w/an iPhone?

Looks like I am going to be selling both of mine. The stereo shop I got them from work help me with it at all so off to eBay they go.

I am putting the Z2 back in my wife's car and I am just going to put in a basic head unit in my car for now and wait and see what happens.

Why? From what I have heard following this thread, you seemed to be somewhat happy with it. Granted, the F series gave you some problems, most of them you said where livable. Why the sudden change of heart? I am surprised, I had to scroll back a few pages to see if I missed something because you seemed to be okay with it.

Gave up for now because I keep finding more bugs every time I feel like I am ok with it. The bluetooth gets usable then goes back to crap with no link to what we are doing (driving, not, ac on, off, etc) and I just don't have the time to mess with it right now. I'll reconsider in a year if software is looking better. Not all over the place. Just had to sit down and make a list of what I was getting vs what I was losing and how much time I wasting :)

Also, Pioneer basically said they didn't care when I tried to share the list of things I had found so far and that didn't leave a great taste in my mouth. The rep actually told me some of the issues like the parking brake were as designed and that all the decks do it.

For what it is worth, I saw a demo deck at Frys electronics (F700bt) this weekend that was much faster to navigate and use the menus. I was not able to check the boot speed because of hte way it was mounted. The software revision was older than the one that shipped on my F90bt and they just got them in. I wonder if they are rolling back. Either way I am going to wait a while before playing with these again.

Here's a small write up comparing the 8120, Z3 and F90

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321338

i appreciate the reference to my post on caraudio.com. i am still in a terrible debate. I dont think I can decide until i play with an f series unit a little. The reports of these little problems are kinda crappy though.

to the guy that said premier and excelon couldnt co-exist, Car Toys (a national chain) caries both lines.

That was me.

Never said they couldn't, just that I didn't think it was possible. Several local shops had said as much.

You are right. though, car toys does indeed sell both lines.

Strange how pioneer says there are no authorized internet premier dealers, yet sure as hell, car toys is on the pioneer list and sell premier products on their on-line store.

Just odd I tell ya.

* edit - just noticed that all the premier items are listed as " Store Pickup Only." Curious if you can buy excelon items at the stores that have premier items in stock? Bueller... Bueller...

As promised some shots of the 8120. Just got the Garmin GXM30 XM Radio unit in today. Stock prices, weather forecasts, traffic, all works GREAT. The XM interface is VERY easy to use. One-touch presets, the Scan button will scan through all the stations for any of your favorite artists and songs. You can maintain the list of favorite songs/artists in the menu.

Also, while in Browse mode, scrolling through the stations, you can scroll through the Artists or Songs playing on each channel instead of just showing the name of the station. Love it.

2593118919_26b1b957fc_b.jpg

2593118661_cb4e906bd6_b.jpg

2593118749_2dcb3b5baf_b.jpg

2593118601_fa6321c9b3_b.jpg

More to come soon.