AVIC411.com

Reverse Wire

When you don't have it hooked up, the navi assumes you're moving forward when in fact you're moving in reverse. As the avic constantly learns and corrects discrepeancies in your car between it's speed, gyro and incline/decline sensors and the actual position, as determined by GPS readings, the accuracy deminishes slightly depending on just how much you move in reverse. If you move 40' in reverse and turn at the same time while the speed sensor tells the Avic you've moved 40' forward while turning you've effectly introduced an 80' error which is multiplied by the turning info. Typically you'll see yourself driving where there is no streets until everything settles down again. With a strong signal from at least 3 satellites that may only take a couple of minutes. Less satellites and a weaker signal will extend that period accordingly.
[quote name="cntrylvr79"]Here ya go.

Reverse Lights YELLOW (+) 20 PIN CONN PASS KICK PANEL[/quote]

I'm not 100% sure what that means. Is it that the wire I need is a yellow wire in the 20 pin connected underneath the passenger kick panel?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

**Edit** I took out the picture because it stretched the page and didn't help.
The flash from the camera makes it hard for me to see the wire colors. But yeah just count the number of spots in the harness be there a wire in it or not. the harness you're looking for will have 20 pins total. Then look for a yellow wire in that harness.
Ok, well heres one for you guys.

I pulled back a little of the insulation on the yellow wire in the 20 pin connector and took my meter connected one side on the wire, the other on ground, switched into reverse... and... nothing happened. No change, still 0 reading on the meter.

I double checked this 50 times, checked my meter, checked everything. I even called Crutchfield to see what they said, and they also said I was doing everything right.

So I took apart my taillight and in the wires going to the reverse light there is a yellow wire that looks exactly like the yellow in the 20 pin connector, and all the other wires in the light resemble wires in the connector up front.

So I did a continuity test and it seems that the wire in the back and the wire up front, although they look identical, they are not the same. I tested the wire in the back and when I switched to reverse, I got a reading of 12 volts.

So now, I know I can run a wire from the taillight up to my D2, but do you guys have any clue why this isn't working?

I would appreciate any and all answers because this is confusing the hell out of me. :twisted:

Thanks.
Odds are then there's another yellow wire in the kick panel. If you've already found it at the tail light might as well just run that up to the front since you now whre it is and the couple minutes it'll take to run that to the front of the truck will be a lot less than trying to find it in the pass kick.
[quote name="cntrylvr79"]Odds are then there's another yellow wire in the kick panel. If you've already found it at the tail light might as well just run that up to the front since you now whre it is and the couple minutes it'll take to run that to the front of the truck will be a lot less than trying to find it in the pass kick.[/quote]

Yea you were right. As I was about to start running a wire from the tail light, I checked under the kick panel one last time and I noticed in the top connector (I think its 22 pins), there is a yellow wire with grey spots, and thats the wire to tap into. Its wierd because it is exactly the same as the wire that you told me to tap into, but this one is the one you need.

Thanks for all your help guys!
  • 4 weeks later...
where do you find this info?

I am installing an avic-d2 in my 2003 superduty. I would very much appreciate a location for the reverse wire and the Car speed signal input wire(pink). or do I need to purchase a ND-PG1? or is the car speed signal input needed? eh. sorry for the noob questions

thanks
No you don't need the nd-pg1. Here's where to get your wiring

Reverse Light black/pink + fuse box

The vss you can get behind the radio. In the radio harness there should be a gray/black wire. That's your vss.

As for where I get the info. I have access to a website with the info through work.