AVIC411.com

Anybody get MSN Direct to work good?

I get a couple of bars of reception about 5% of the time ... the rest of the time the signal seems dead. Nevertheless, if I drive around enough it will eventually start pulling in traffic reports, movie times, and gas stations. Weather seems to be the last thing it updates and I've only seen it actually finish it once.

I'm getting good reception on the regular FM band tuner on all my typical stations, so I don't know WTF is going on here.

Anyone know how I can find out where the MSN transmitter is in Dallas? I'd love to part outside of it and see if my signal goes up at all.

Another reason I am sorely upset with this head-unit...

The Weather works 50% of the time.

The Movie Times work 50% of the time, and no theaters near me are on the list.

The Gas Prices seem to work, but a large majority say "unknown station" which matters a lot to me, because I only buy Chevron.

The Traffic is my biggest gripe. I was picturing like they show it on the Garmin units, and like my TL used to have... Green, Yellow, and Red traffic flow.

Seems that it ONLY shows red sections, and accidents... You can't see the yellow and green's, so it's really hard to judge most sections of road.

I LIVE IN LOS ANGELES!!! You would think if there was ONE city where all the functions worked well, it would be here...

I'm really about ready to sell this thing.

Anyone know how I can find out where the MSN transmitter is in Dallas? I'd love to part outside of it and see if my signal goes up at all.

http://www.msndirect.com/NavigationDevi ... b=Coverage

That should have the data you are looking for

Good thing most of the coverage is in the pacific ocean. Sweet!

lol, i saw that, also a great thing that there is plenty of coverage in the middle of Lake Michigan and I get very little in Crystal Lake...makes perfect sense

This maybe a stupid question, I have the f900bt and I have the Hd radio adapter with it.

I can't seem to get any sort of a signal for my msn direct service, does the hd radio adapter have a pass through for the main unit for the msn direct receiver? Or does a antenna have to be install in the rear, AS WELL AS to the HD radio accessory/adapter?

I guess that would explain some things, although im in a area right now that is spotty with coverage anyway.

If anyone could answer that I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

This maybe a stupid question, I have the f900bt and I have the Hd radio adapter with it.

I can't seem to get any sort of a signal for my msn direct service, does the hd radio adapter have a pass through for the main unit for the msn direct receiver? Or does a antenna have to be install in the rear, AS WELL AS to the HD radio accessory/adapter?

I guess that would explain some things, although im in a area right now that is spotty with coverage anyway.

If anyone could answer that I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Read the installation manual. It clearly states that you need to split the antenna so both your HU and your HD gets a signal. The HU signal is required for MSN Direct to work.

Thank you, unfortunately I can't get the manual off of pioneer's website all day today for some reason.

The install of the HD radio accessory isn't in the install manual, and that is all i was able to read.

Thanks, anyone else having issues downloading the operations manual from their website? I can't even download the HD receiver manual and its only 800k, I get about 400k of it and then it just stops, perhaps ill get a few more kbytes.

I really appreciate the info, Thanks. I will continue to try grabbing the manual from their webiste, I even resorted to trying to get them from other country sites, like pioneer.eu. Unfortunately their units don't mention HD raadio, msn direct or xm. all of which I have. So not much help there.