AVIC411.com

Just to let you know, from my own recent install, you'll want to space the antennas away from each other.

I am using XM, but the principle is the same. I had them both placed under the dash just beneath the dash skin, originally I had them next to each other on a the metal pad, and while my gps came in fine, the XM wouldn't just couldn't get a reliable signal.

I moved them away from each other, still under the dash skin about 14" and now I'm getting perfect signal on both. As a note: there is no metal above where I mounted them both... but the signal I'm getting seems as stable as when I test mounted the XM antenna on the roof of the car, so the problem was definitely that they were just too close to each other. I'd have to assume the GPS antenna was "stealing," for lack of a better word, and just absorbing too much of the XM signal when they were next to each other.

I don't agree with that statement. That is like saying having two fm antennas next to each other is "stealing" the signal" its just not possible. I have the XM and the sat nav antennas right next to each other touching in the back window. Zero problems with signal strength on either, unless of course the sky is being blocked by a tree or building. Unless you actually placed on on top of each other, thereby blocking it from the signal, odds are something was under the dash in that particular spot or something.

Too many variables but saying two of the antennas right next to each other "steals" the signal just sounds silly. Like one acts like a black hole or something.

maybe you've got a different type of GPS antenna than i have , but the one i have (the one included with AVIC-80dvd) contains active circuitry , and that means it is quite capable of causing interference to nearby antennas .

• 3 months later...

I am having this issue now. XM is dropping out. REal bad. The 2 antennas are mounted under my dash next to each other I believe. I did not do the install. I have 700bt.

Nav works fine with no drop out. XM drops out every few minutes... unacceptable.

I have a Honda 2008 CRV LX.

Do you recommend I tell the installer to mount the XM antenna on my roof now???

Or just separate them more under my dash.?

I too have both a GPS antenna as well as the XM one. In the installation instructions for the GEX-P920XM tuner, is specifically states:

"In order to prevent interference, set the following items as far as possible from this unit, its cables or leads

- TV antenna and antenna lead

- FM, AM antenna and its lead

- GPS antenna and its lead

In addition, route each antenna lead as far as possible from other antenna leads. Do not bind them together, lay or route them together or cross them over each other."

Take this with as large a grain of salt as you wish since other folks have probably done any or all of the above and will have any number of failure/success stories, but just thought I'd add what I had read.

Personally, I have my XM antenna on the driver's side of the dash, and the GPS antenna on the passenger's side. Pretty decent reception on both, though not perfect by any means.

YMMV

-Kev

I am having this issue now. XM is dropping out. REal bad. The 2 antennas are mounted under my dash next to each other I believe. I did not do the install. I have 700bt.

Nav works fine with no drop out. XM drops out every few minutes... unacceptable.

I have a Honda 2008 CRV LX.

Do you recommend I tell the installer to mount the XM antenna on my roof now???

Or just separate them more under my dash.?

I suggest you or your installer move the antenna to either outside your vehicle or along the back dash somewhere. You could cover it with matching carpet if it is too unsightly for you. This is how my install is done and I have no drop-outs unless my trunk is open.

As far as proximity of GPS and XM antennas, they are both set to recieve (no transmitting) and do so on different frequencies. The only thing that could possibly make either interfere with the other is the magnetic field of their base.. but I highly doubt this.

so i'm reading all of these comments about not getting the signal for the sat. radio or it drops in and out and that you are putting them under dash piece and such. Sat antenna should be mounted outside of the car, not inside. I'm pretty sure it says it rate in the install manuals and i know it say's it in the mecp certification book.

so i'm reading all of these comments about not getting the signal for the sat. radio or it drops in and out and that you are putting them under dash piece and such. Sat antenna should be mounted outside of the car, not inside. I'm pretty sure it says it rate in the install manuals and i know it say's it in the mecp certification book.

we know that :P

some of us don't like those unsightly warts stuck to the outside of our vehicles since they don't match and they are prone to the weather (dry rotting) and vandalism.

Can someone suggest where the XM atenna should go on outside of my car. Right next to the anteanna shown here??? It is Honda CRV.

Terron suggested back dash. I don't think I have one -- no...

honda-cr-v-2007-1.jpg

lol good point

_anywhere_ on the outside is ok. As long as you don't have to cut the cord and it reaches without putting a strain on the cord, it is totally acceptable.