AVIC411.com

D3 audio option???

hi,

I have a AVIC-D3 installed in my Xterra.

I wanted to know what would be the best route to do what i needed....

I want to be able to listen to the radio/xm/ipod, etc..whatever i decide to play on the D3 through head phones and turn the speakers in the Xterra off!

See my wife sleeps in the back on our drives to visit our home town and i normally adjust the D3 where the front left speaker is the only one playing..........but that bites!!!

i would like to use one of the sets of RCA's from the back of the D3 to plug in a RCA to mini jack adapter and then plug in some head phones so i can listen to the radio clearly while driving down the road........

CAN i turn off all the speakers on the D3 menu and listen to clean sound using the subwoofer RCA's with headphones wired into them???

thanks,

-J

No you can't turn off the D3's speaker outputs. The only way to do what you want to do would be to hook all your car's speakers up to external amplifiers and wire in a toggle switch on the amp(s) turn on wire to cut the sound to the speakers without turning off the unit or cutting the volume to zero. Then you would need to run your headphones off of the whatever output you could find, be it the speaker outputs or AV outputs... Basically, it's a huge expensive pain in the ass.

Also, IIRC, wearing full headphones is illegal while driving, depending on your local laws, of course. In Florida, you can get a fine of over $120 just for driving while wearing headphones.

hey, ya, i figured.....

i dont know about headphones being illegal while driving......probably true though now that i think about it....

I was thinking ill just hook up to the RCA fronts at least and then kill the rears........i should be able to lower the volume more but still be able to hear better with head phones directly in my ears versus trying to listen to speakers mounted low in my doors....lol...

wait...your toggle switch idea might just work!!! what about this:

I was also thinking of connecting to those front RCA wires and then sending the signal fad/balancing to just the front speaker like i usually do. but then i can find the speaker wire going into the left/drivers door and put a toggle switch on that, so to kill the speaker but i can still listen via the head phones??? whatcha think??

-J

how about you treat your wife that way..........

my wife buys me my car parts and supports my drifting, autoX, off-road rig and automotive habits....

own 18 wheels for drifting my 350z....

"shrockworked dot com" out Nissan Xterra 08 for off road fun.

and not a peep of "thats stupid" or "you like your car more than me"

lets see you find a wife like that...

-j

Dear "whipped"

Let's stay on point shall we ?

I don't need to compare toys with you .... I'm trying to offer you a solution wherin you don't have to break the law to keep things quiet in your car for your wife, while trying to listen to music, so you don't fall asleep out of boredom.

So I DON'T HAVE TO BREAK THE LAW [and it is a law in most states since wearing headphones will ... I dunno ... possibly impede you from hearing a siren, train horn, your wife choking or suffering a sleep apnia attack ...] my wife will put on her noise cancelling headphones and I will keep the volume down. Most of the time she likes me enough to talk to me during our roadtrips though :P

Taken from the VA DMV website:

"It is unlawful to operate a motor vehicle, moped or bicycle on Virginia roadways while using earphones or headphones in both ears."

New York Law

"Section 375 24-a. Use of earphones while driving or riding a bicycle

It shall be unlawful to operate upon any public highway in this state a motor vehicle, limited use automobile, limited use motorcycle or bicycle while the operator is wearing more than one earphone attached to a radio, tape player or other audio device."

Cliff Notes:

• research THE LAW in your state

• K.I.S.S.

• continue to be 'nice' to your wife in a 'reasonable' way

• try NOT to kill anyone while futzing with your D3 while driving

The law is there for your and peoples protection in general, try talking to the the 5 year old whose now in intensive care due to an ignorant driver listening to music on headphones who ran a stop sign and didn't see nor HEAR the horn of the other car.

Gah... life at a hospital.

• 2 weeks later...