AVIC411.com

My Z2 wont start up when I turn it on

I had my Z2 for 6 months now and everything worked fine with the bypass and everything. Today all the sudden it wont start up. It just stays on a black screen saying that my navigation is loading......... and nothing happens after that for more even after 20 min. I tryed to restart it but still no result. The button works to filp up the display to remove the cd but thats it. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

My Z2 has been locking up upon bootup.

I downloaded the update firmware and burned it to a CDR.

I put the CDR in the Z2 and it started the update process; the process continued; it copied 92 files. The screen then said that the update had failed and that it was restarting. It repeats the "failed, restarting" message as long as it is powered up. Disc in, disc out --- no difference. Power down and power back up --- no difference.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Goldcylon, please look two posts above yours. We have already followed that link, and also the directions posted there.

The problem seems to be that if your AVIC Z2 (or Z1) is failing to boot up it won't finish the upgrade. Just leaving the CDR in the drive will cause your unit to be ready to finish the upgradewhen it finally IS ready to boot.

This seems to be temperature related; it is more likely to boot up when the entire car is cool.

I had both these problems when I first got my Z2. I had the first problem as soon as I received it. I had the second problem with the endless update loop after I tried to update it in an effort to fix the first problem, and it failed at 99%.

The solution was to enter Service Mode... search the forum for the instructions on that. Then go into the System Update menu options and tell it to update the firmware or flash from your CD. When this completes, your AVIC should be fine. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact text of the menu options, but I hope you can figure it out with my vague description. If you really need exact menu option text and keystrokes, let me know and I'll walk you through it, but I'm hoping you can figure it out. ;)

Sounds a little different. I had no way to get into service mode. There were no menus and the only buttons that would respond were the volume and track buttons. No menus and no way to get into them. I had to wait until the unit was cool enough to actually finish booting.

It is working fine now.

• 2 weeks later...
My Z2 has been locking up upon bootup.

I downloaded the update firmware and burned it to a CDR.

I put the CDR in the Z2 and it started the update process; the process continued; it copied 92 files. The screen then said that the update had failed and that it was restarting. It repeats the "failed, restarting" message as long as it is powered up. Disc in, disc out --- no difference. Power down and power back up --- no difference.

Any ideas?

Same thing happened to me. Pioneer said it was a normal incorrect error message. He said to wait an hour or two which I did not have.

I left the disc in and drove to work. It constantly kept cycyling saying "failed, restarting". Finally, after about 15 minutes, it downloaded one more item from the disc. I believe when it is restarting, it is checking the 92 files it downloaded...could be wrong, but I waited, and now it works fine.

FYI.

Kris

• 1 month later...

I had that problem (unable to update due to non boot)i forced write in service mode, but when i did so i noticed that version was something like 3.000** i know latest is platform:2.000500 hdd app: 2.140000! now when i reset the unit it says:"THERE IS NO APPLICABLE PROGRAM" :( , the unit is a Z2 sept 07. i went to service mode and it says: PLATFORM [2.000500] RECOVERY [2.000000] BOOTLORDER [2.000000] CPU CORE[00000004] APL PROGRAM[uNKNOW] GPS PROGRAM[1.200000]. now notice that apl program is unknow, my question is does anybody know how can i get the apl? is in the pioneer test disk?

3.000 is Z3, it looks like you tried overwriting Z3 software with Z2 software. The APL should be on the Pioneer Z2 update, since the rest of your programs are already downgraded to Z2, you might as well try the Z2 APL. You can also try toggling the update source to HDD and see if you can update back to a Z3. Otherwise, cheapest thing to do is to download the Z3 image and Acronis True Image, then unlock your drive, copy Z3 image to it, then reinstall.

Another option is to buy an update drive.

• 3 weeks later...
OK, i did the z3 mod and it worked like a charm!, just one detail to remark is that i never needed to unlock the drive! Maybe if you remove the battery and the ignition power together it won't lock-up? worth trying.

I have yanked the drive with the Z booted up, and the drive is still locked...