AVIC411.com

Pioneer finally releases firmware update!!

Here the email from Pioneer below. Said to address everything EXCEPT boot up time length:

July 21, 2008

Dear Valued Customer

Re: Free Firmware Update for AVIC-F90BT, AVIC-F900BT & AVIC-F700BT

We would like to inform you of the availability of a free firmware update for three AVIC-F Series navigation systems (AVIC-F90BT, AVIC-F900BT, and AVIC-F700BT) to improve overall system performance and to resolve certain software issues. This notice explains how to obtain the free firmware update and how to determine if the firmware update has already been installed on an AVIC-F Series navigation system.

The free firmware update is intended only for the AVIC-F90BT, AVIC-F900BT and AVIC-F700BT – the AVIC-F500BT does not need to be updated. Even if you are not currently experiencing any issues with your AVIC-F Series system, we still recommend that you obtain the free firmware update. The update itself should take approximately ten minutes to install.

This firmware update applies only to models sold in the U.S.

Pioneer has become aware that users of the AVIC-F90BT, AVIC-F900BT and AVIC-F700BT may experience issues with one or more of the following: navigation voice guidance sound quality and reading of guidance information; brightness of display screen; Bluetooth sound quality and hands-free calling; parking brake warning; cataloguing time for voice recognition of iPod content; song order within an album for iPod content; playing of MP3 music files for USB content; volume control for USB and SD content; and, Spanish and French mode operation with an iPod and with navigation voice guidance.

Importantly, none of these issues is believed to pose any health or safety risk, or to pose any risk of property damage.

The free firmware update is intended to address these issues and improve the overall performance of the AVIC-F Series systems. In addition, a separate CD-ROM containing a revised operation manual will be provided as part of the update process. The firmware update, however, does not address reported concerns regarding the length of boot up times. As is the case with other computers, the length of time to boot up an AVIC-F Series system is largely due to the numerous demands (navigation, entertainment, information, connectivity, compatibility, etc.) placed upon it.

HOW TO OBTAIN THE FREE FIRMWARE UPDATE:

Pioneer is offering the following four options to obtain the free firmware update

1. Download the free update to your computer from http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/avicfseriesupdate , and transfer the update to an SD card for insertion into your AVIC-F Series system; OR

2. Order a SD card containing the free update by accessing the following URL: http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/avicfirmware; OR

3. Order a SD card containing the free update by calling Pioneer Customer Service toll free at 800-421-1404 and then transferring to the Parts Order Department (select Option 1); OR

4. Call Pioneer Customer Service toll free at 800-421-1404 and then transfer to the Warranty & Service Department to arrange for your AVIC-F Series system to be shipped to Pioneer for installation of the free update.

HOW TO DETERMINE IF THE FIRMWARE UPDATE HAS ALREADY BEEN INSTALLED:

To determine if the new firmware update has already been installed on an AVIC-F90BT, AVIC-F900BT or AVIC-F700BT, please power on the system and do the following:

1. Press the "Menu" button;

2. Touch the "Settings" tab;

3. Touch the "System Settings" tab;

4. Touch the "Service Information" tab;

5. The "Map version" number and the "Version" number are both displayed -- please look at the "Version" number, which is displayed on the lower line; and

6. If the "Version" number is "1.000900" or an earlier/smaller number, please install the new firmware update. If the "Version" number is "1.0017000" or a later/larger number, the system has already been updated with the new firmware.

In addition, all existing AVIC-F Series inventory that has been updated with the new firmware by Pioneer will have a blue dot on the product box (next to the serial number) and on the back of the unit itself (next to the serial number).

With some exceptions, most all AVIC-F Series systems purchased after July 28, 2008, should already have the free firmware update installed.

QUESTIONS:

If you have any questions, please contact Pioneer Customer Service toll free at 800-421-1404. Pioneer service representatives are available Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. (Eastern Time), except on holidays.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this product issue may cause you, and we thank you for your understanding and continued support of Pioneer.

Sincerely,

Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.

Because European models are not the same.

someone on the forum talk about RF frequency, do you think it's the only limitation ?

Thx

No, the European and US units differ signifcantly.

We (Europeans) don't have voice control, XM Radio, HD Radio etc.

We don't seem to be suffering the problems that that US guys did with the original firmware.

Additionally,

In addition, all existing AVIC-F Series inventory that has been updated with the new firmware by Pioneer will have a blue dot on the product box (next to the serial number)

My European version has this blue dot on the box.

Cheers.

We don't seem to be suffering the problems that that US guys did with the original firmware.

so why would the european models need an update if they never had the problems the american models had?

I editted my earlier post - it appears I may have the latest (but European) firmware.

so why would the european models need an update if they never had the problems the american models had?

I editted my earlier post - it appears I may have the latest (but European) firmware.

sweet deal! but i was just wondering what the european update would fix if it didnt suffer the US models' issues

I believe there would be different versions for Europe, Canada, and the US. Because of different POI's as well as the radio frequency thing. Also, the European models and US models don't have all the same features in them. And lastly, the European model definitely would have a different firmware update, because the part of the US update that gets rid of the "comma" issue with the text to speech won't be required with the European update.

My latest version European firmware is:

Map Version - 01.000600

Version - 1.001500

That's the version I've got, and it still has lots of problems :(

For example, insert a USB stick and play some music - the navigation "master volume" will jump to max (it does on mine, anyway). It also sometimes skips the last few seconds of USB tracks, and still can't resume some USB sticks on switch on without unplugging and replugging.

I hope 1.001500 isn't the final firmware release for Europe, I really do... :evil: