AVIC411.com

Does anyone have the AVIC-N4 installed?

Does anyone have the Pioneer AVIC-N4 installed and working 100%? (bypass or not). If so please reply to this post and let me know.

Reason I asked is because I just received a 3rd replacement unit from Crutchfield. I had it professionally installed 3 times by the same installer (unit is also installed video bypass if that matters in the situation). Before he installed the 3rd replacement new unit in my car, he hooked it up to an external power source that was in his shop and was able to reproduce the same problem as the previous 2 times - Horizontal lines in video. Here's how the problem is reproduced:

1) Press the hard reset button on the front of the unit (this will take everything back to factory settings). The LCD screen will close in and come back out. It will say to insert the appropriate disc.

2) Insert either the west or east DVD

3)Let it do it's thing during the load. It will then either take you to “select your language†screen or straight to the Map screen.

After that go to the CD or Radio screen and then you’ll see the horizontal lines in the background. If you turn the unit off (power still going to the LCD Screen), you will see the whole screen filled with horizontal lines. The installer and I came to a conclusion that the DVD software is causing this to happen. We also tried the 2 dvd’s that came w/ the new unit just to make sure it’s not an issue with the disc - same issue. It doesn't make a difference if we put in the west or east dvd in. As for the temporary work around to make the lines go away. I have to press the hard rest button again and NOT follow the instructions by not inserting the appropriate disc. I’m getting really frustrated at this point. I called Crutchfield, the best they can do is sent out a 4th unit, but before sending it out, someone can test it out and make sure it’s working. I agreed and took them on their last offer. I also asked to get a call when the “test†takes place in real-time so I can make sure this won’t happen again. The rep on the phone said he can make that happen. I’m also frustrated with Pioneer as I called them twice when this first happened, they said that the lines in the background was normal, I didn’t even explain them the situation and right off the bat they told me it’s normal. It sounded like they wanted to get me off the phone quick.

I’m hoping that someone here can give me confirmation if this should be happening or not. Also if anyone wants to see the pics of the issue I’m having, please email me at KryptonKalEl666@aol.com and I’ll be glad to send the pics.[/img]

• 2 weeks later...

I have an N4 installed with Ipod, Bluetooth, USB, HD stereo, rear camera, satellite and rear screens for the kids and never has the quality been anything but excellent.

The only issue I ever had was with the first rear view camera, after the first rain it got water in it. Had it replaced with a unit advertised as waterproof and not an issue since.

The N4 is quite a nice device and I would be highly suspicious of the installer if you have been through 3 devices.

Aftbrn, so your saying that the n4 unit is working fine and you never had an issue with horizontal lines when putting in the navigation dvd to use the GPS? Remember my installer also hooked it up externally and still had the same issue with a replacement unit. He's been installing these in dash units for over 10 years and said he never seen this type of issue before. Did you try the steps I provided to see if the problem could be reproduced? Also crutchfield gave me a call and told me they tested a Pioneer AVIC-N4 & D3 and was able to reproduce the problem on their side. Please let me know the results if you do happen to do a hard reset on your unit. That would be really helpful in case if I need to call Crutchfield and fight w/ them again.

Nope not having any of the issues you described. Crisp clean video on both my deck and rear screens, during IPOD playback, or DVD playback. I can play DVD to rear screens while using NAV in the front, disappointed there was no option to play IPOD video to back only. System functions pretty much exactly as advertised. What software version are you trying to load on the system?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any lines on mine either. But I am having trouble with it still initializing.

Anyone else? I have about 1000miles/1600kms listed and all the bars are full but still it says it's initializing

btw, the canadian "tech support" guys suck for pioneer car audio.

Try running the cable that connects the indash unit and the hideaway unit outside of the dash, at full length(not zip-tied into a bundle), and away from any major wiring harnesses. The N- series was rather susceptible to RFI and EMI intrusion, hence, the bag of various ferrite beads that came with them. If you get a clean picture that way, you can assume you are getting radiated noise intrusion into that line. Try adding a ferrite bead @ each end of the cable, and run it through the dash, trying to reasonably avoid running it beside any large wiring harnesses. Also, try using an alternate grounding point, a good, clean chassis ground- but not a dash brace (for instance, Ford F-250/350's are notorious for having horrible dash brace ground integrity). Rule of thumb - if you have to scrape the paint off of your ground location - it's most likely a good grounding point. See what happens with that.

• 4 weeks later...