AVIC411.com

How does iPod behave when turning car on and off?

About to do my install, and just wanted to know how the iPod behaves--will determine which of my iPods I use and where to run the cable...

So:

- what happens if you're playing from the iPod then turn the car off?

- does iPod power down, or stay on?

- do you guys leave your ipod connected the whole time? do you run out of charge eventually?

- when you turn the car back on, does the iPod automatically start playing again?

- if playing from a different audio source, is the ipod on or off?

I'd like to just keep my 60g iPod video plugged in and inside the car at all times, basically just using it as a hard drive. I'd also like to use the handfree and voicedialing with my iPhone 3g. So will I be able to keep the iPod video always in the car, and have the AVIC pair over BT with the iPhone 3g for calls without a problem?

Thanks in advance guys...

- what happens if you're playing from the iPod then turn the car off?

- does iPod power down, or stay on?

It turns off. Either right then, or it turns off after a few minutes, I can't remember which.

- do you guys leave your ipod connected the whole time? do you run out of charge eventually?

It won't run out of charge because it turns off when the car/D3 is turned off.

- when you turn the car back on, does the iPod automatically start playing again?

Yes, if the ipod is the active source when you turn off the car, it will automatically resume playback from where it left off the next time you turn the car on.

- if playing from a different audio source, is the ipod on or off?

I believe it is powered on whenever the D3 is, because it is charging/receiving power.

The entire year I had my D3, the ipod was connected to it in the glove box and almost never took it out and there were no problems at all.

• 3 months later...

It turns off. Either right then, or it turns off after a few minutes, I can't remember which.

For my new F90BT the Ipod pauses and then turns off due to being idle. However I have had my Ipod apparently stay ON and drained the battery. This has happened 3-4 times in the 2-3 weeks I have had the system installed.

Anyone else have this problem?

Anyone know a way to have the system actually power down the Ipod? I have an home AV receiver that does turn off the Ipod when the power is turned off.

• 1 month later...

"The video will start playback from where it left off once you select it again."

My unit does not do this,it starts the video over when the car is restarted. Is there a setting somewhere that I need to change to get this to work? I use my Ipod for about 80% video podcast viewing and this is the most annoying feature to have to remember where you left off, shut the car off, do your business, get back in the car, select it again, and fast forward to where you left off. I am using a Ipod 30 GB if that helps.

Thanks

"The video will start playback from where it left off once you select it again."

My unit does not do this,it starts the video over when the car is restarted. Is there a setting somewhere that I need to change to get this to work? I use my Ipod for about 80% video podcast viewing and this is the most annoying feature to have to remember where you left off, shut the car off, do your business, get back in the car, select it again, and fast forward to where you left off. I am using a Ipod 30 GB if that helps.

Thanks

Yes..its a setting within Itunes. I forget the actual setting, but select one of your videos in Itune, then check the tab for the various properties/settings for that video. You will see "remember start point" or something like that. I also found that if my Ipod is in "shuffle all songs" mode, i have random video playback..sometimes the videos wont play at all.

For my new F90BT the Ipod pauses and then turns off due to being idle. However I have had my Ipod apparently stay ON and drained the battery. This has happened 3-4 times in the 2-3 weeks I have had the system installed.

Anyone else have this problem?

Yes, have had this same problem. Not sure if it occurred at the same time but have also had the iPod not reappear when F90 was turned back on. Unplug/plug it back in and it's good to go. This has also forced me to reset my iPod as well. For reference the iPod involved is a 5th gen 30G.