AVIC411.com

PAC SWI-PS - Pioneer and Sony Steering Wheel Radio Control

I am about to order a F900 from crutchfield along with the Pioneer iPod Cable and the PAC SWI-PS - Pioneer and Sony Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface. I'm wondering how difficult the install of the PAC SWI unit is? Will I need to use a multimeter? Are the directions for install and programming pretty easy and straight forward? Also, despite the website saying it does not work with my vehicle (2006 Mazda MX5) the support people at crutchfield say it will work with the my car and the F900. Any of the installers on here have any thoughts on that?

thanks

I got the Pac SWI-PS to work with my 08 GMC sierra which wasn't posted as being supported. Install is pretty easy, especially if you do it when your installing the F900. All you have to do is hook up one wire to the steering control wire under your steering column, then hook up power and ground which you can just tap off your radio harness.

Only problem is so far for some reason the F900 does not support the preset up/down commands from the SWI-PS. Its only a software issue so hopefully Pioneer gets it fixed with the next update.

i have the swips hooked up to my f900bt and it works flawlessly. I beleive that you have the 24pin connector on your mazda like my mazda 3. If i am not mistaken all 01 and up mazda's have the same wiring harness connector. For my car mazda 3 i used the white wire from the swips.

heres a tutorial that will help you out.

check thisout for instal on mazda 3

hope that helps

Pin 9 from stock harness for pac swips white wire

pin 10 from stock harness ground to chasis

and power and ground for your swi

I spent the better part of two hours the other day attempting to program the SWI-PS unit in my 04 GMC EnvoyXL and still can not get it to function properly. The unit functioned when it was controlling my D3, and when I installed my F90, the steering wheel buttons worked except the preset up/down button. I re-programmed the SWI-PS several times and still can not get the preset up/down button to function at all. When I push the button, the LED on the SWI-PS lights but the head unit does not change (XM, FM & AM).

Frustrating to say the least along with the iPod Touch 2.01 not working. But I do love this unit and am glad I got it.

Just a few tips. Some harnesses include a steering wheel control output right at the harness. Others you may need to go to the steering column. Still its a single wire plus power and ground so its not to tough to hook up. The instructions can be confusing the first read through but read em again and should get the hang of it.

The biggest thing i can stress is to program the interface while the vehicle is running. When i installed and programmed the unit the first time with the vehicle off i had problem with buttons not responding or responding slowly. When the vehicle is running the battery voltage is around 2 volts higher and can influence the voltage on a resistance based control system and give inaccurate reading if programmed under battery power with no alternator power. Once i programed the unit with the vehicle running the buttons works quickly and accurately.

would it be possible to post pictures of the plug used for the SWC wires? i have an 05 rx8 and i cant find it anywhere =(

I am not posiive of what you mean. do you mean the actual connector for the 24pin connector? And what is a SWC? do you mean the SWI-PS? If i am not mistaken all mazdas use the white wire from the swi and do not cut the loops. The actual connector for the radio you have to have found otherwise how did you run your new system? unless you wired it all up new and did like a dash tuck or something.

please fill in some blanks so i will be able to help you a little better

would it be possible to post pictures of the plug used for the SWC wires? i have an 05 rx8 and i cant find it anywhere =(

I am not posiive of what you mean. do you mean the actual connector for the 24pin connector? And what is a SWC? do you mean the SWI-PS? If i am not mistaken all mazdas use the white wire from the swi and do not cut the loops. The actual connector for the radio you have to have found otherwise how did you run your new system? unless you wired it all up new and did like a dash tuck or something.

please fill in some blanks so i will be able to help you a little better

SWC = steering wheel controls. my bad for confusing you. and yes i mean the 24 pin connector which has the wire that id have to tap into. i searched that steering column...i even took the steering wheel apart and nothing.

Just a few tips. Some harnesses include a steering wheel control output right at the harness. Others you may need to go to the steering column. Still its a single wire plus power and ground so its not to tough to hook up. The instructions can be confusing the first read through but read em again and should get the hang of it.

The biggest thing i can stress is to program the interface while the vehicle is running. When i installed and programmed the unit the first time with the vehicle off i had problem with buttons not responding or responding slowly. When the vehicle is running the battery voltage is around 2 volts higher and can influence the voltage on a resistance based control system and give inaccurate reading if programmed under battery power with no alternator power. Once i programed the unit with the vehicle running the buttons works quickly and accurately.

Did you get the preset up/down to work for you?

Did you get the preset up/down to work for you?

This may be something to try. I have had no problem getting the unit to work with the up/down on the 900BT, but when driving around, I can not get the PAC to tune down. I will try programming with the engine on to see what that does.

Thanks for the tip!

Edit: Tip applied and now everything works without problems! :lol: