AVIC411.com

I Got Rid of my Key Beeps!

In WinCE mode, on the Flash Drive, there is a directory DATA. Inside data is SOUNDS. There are a handful of wav files in that directory. The following ones seem to be the keybeeps:

PSG1Hi.wav

PSG1Low.wav

PSG2Hi.wav

PSG2Low.wav

There are four other wav files in there too, but those first ones seem to be the key. I simply replaced them all with a wav file of silence - I had a "silence.wav" that I copied over and renamed to each of those files, and then moved those silent wavs into \DATA\SOUNDS

One reboot later, and presto! No more keybeeps! And I'm talking about the AV stuff - I know you can disable them in the GPS program but I *think* this disables them everywhere...

silence.wav.zip

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made a backup of the original files before trying it. I'd suggest if you want to try it as well Nicky, you make backups too.

Still, the only reason I can think of for this not working would be if these particular files are copied into a few different locations, i.e. a copy for the GPS program, a copy for the AV program, a copy for the Phone / Contacts program... in which case each copy would have to be dealt with. I've not tested the phone/contacts since I replaced the wave files, but I know the GPS key-beeps can be silenced through the settings, and I know that I've silenced the key-beeps in the AV program by doing this. If the phone/contacts still beep, that's just a matter of finding the hidden wav files and dealing with them too.

nice job I just did it yesterday as well and was going to upload a rar file for everyone to use the silence sounds and just copy it over from an SD card :) but you beat me to posting it :P

Edit:

Stephanie, we really need to find a way to reapply any updates we want that was we can customize a lot more of the interface.... that would be huge if we could do it. I have some ideas on how to force it to update but thats risky and I dont want to brick my new $900 headunit :P

My intense desire to get rid of my key beeps is trumped by my fear of bricking my F90. Although I'm pretty good with installing these units, I'm not sure how to do this mod - would anyone be so kind as to write up a step-by-step tutorial? (After which this thread should be made a sticky - this is one mod these F-series units really need!)

Step by step instructions.

Please Note: I assume no responsibility if you brick your unit. Following these instructions is at your own risk and peril.

I've made this as straightforward as I can, assuming a limited knowledge of computers, but really, if you don't know at all what you're doing, you probably shouldn't be doing this.

1. Get the testmode files from This Post.

2. Unzip that and copy the Testmode and MiTACAP folders onto an SD card

3. Grab the silence.wav file from the top of this thread

4. Make 4 copies of silence.wav and rename them so you have four files which are all silence, named: PSG1Hi.wav PSG1Low.wav PSG2Hi.wav PSG2Low.wav

5. Copy those files onto the SD card

6. Put the SD card into the Fxxx headunit and turn it on.

7. It will boot to test mode, with some info about copying stuff. Wait a few seconds then tap the X in the top right corner to get rid of that window.

8. You should now have a windows Start button in the lower left corner.

9. Use the Start menu to open windows Explorer. Do this twice so you have two Explorer windows going.

10. On one explorer window, navigate to My Flash Drive, Data, Sounds. You'll see 6 or 7 sound files in there. I *strongly* urge you to back them up.

11. On the other explorer window, navigate to the SD Card and find your four wav files.

12. Tap a wav file, tap the 'Edit' menu, tap 'Copy'.

13. Go back to the other explorer window, tap the 'Edit' menu, tap 'Paste'

14. Repeat for each file.

15. When done, just close the two explorer windows, then turn off the car.

16. Wait a few seconds, remove the SD card, and turn the car back on. Poke around in the AV menus, there should be no more keybeeps.

They shouldn't - did you just modify the four of them? I've never used voice command myself, so I can't comment on if it's affected things for me or not. I can't think of why they would though, the unit wouldn't even 'know' something has changed.

Yes, I just modified (replaced) the four specified .wav files in the Sound folder. I don't use the Voice Command much, either; I just noticed that a push on the center button no longer activates it - don't see how anything in the Sound folder would affect that function. I'm happier with those stupid key beeps muted, anyway, so I won't miss the Voice Command. Thanks again for posting the detailed instructions on this mod!