AVIC411.com

Is the boot up time acceptable?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Is the boot up time acceptable?

• Yes, absolutly fine.
    • Its ok, could be better.
    • Its somewhat ok, maybe if they got rid of the message.
    • Its not satisfactory.
    • I have to retrain myself from putting my fist through the screen.

Just a quick poll to see if I am too anal, or if the bootup time is really as annoying as I imagine it to be. I drive 10 mile spurts to work and back so maybe that makes a difference.

*edit: retrain myself = refrain.

LOL you really hate the boot time. Agreed man, it does suck, but hey maybe there's a way to shorten it...and from what i read, the EU FW update shortened it to about 30 seconds full function. There is hope for you :lol:

Its so bad that I re-wired my remote starter so my accessory would come on without the key so my deck would turn on and boot before I even got to my car.

Its lame but it has solved one problem

strange you had to rewire just for that to work, i hit my remote start, the car starts and offi go with a nav unit thats already booted up.

My feelings with the boot time are mixed. Before installing the F700, I had a separate GPS and radio. I'm used to the radio being instant - as soon as the engine is going, I can listen to music, work the controls, etc etc.

The GPS, I am used to it taking a minute to kick in. It's just how GPS's work, it takes time to lock on to the satellites and make a fix. Getting the fix is more demanding than keeping the fix. My old GPS had three different 'nag' screens, but if you didn't hit the 'enter' button the screens would each time-out on their own, and by the time they had all timed-out the GPS had a fix and the map was working. If you OKed all the nag screens immediately, then you'd get a status screen and be stuck with that till the thing had a fix.

So I guess what I'm getting at is, I could live with the GPS / Nav / Map stuff being unavailable for a minute. I've always had that in every GPS I've used. What is infuriating is that until the GPS has a fix, every other blasted feature is locked-out too.

If you were listening to a CD then you do get music relatively quickly -- not instant though. My iPod kicks in after about 45 seconds. SD card? Forget it, that doesn't even start playing till after the GPS is up and running.

I can accept if they say that there's no way to have the thing be instantly fully functional - I'm willing to wait a minute before I can work the GPS. But everything else needs to come on a lot faster.

I can see them maybe thinking, "well the GPS is the slowest boot so we'll start that first.." but IMHO they should boot the fastest thing first - that gives the user something to 'play with' while the rest of the system wakes up.

And that dumb message that comes up telling you that the system is starting up... the splash screen only shows when the system is starting. What's the point of letting us add a custom splash screen, if you're going to put a message over top of it that says essentially the same thing? I'd understand if you were looking at a non-functioning map screen...then the startup message makes sense.

Anyhow, that last bit was a bit of venting... all in all, I think they could and should make some changes to it to get a usable UI as fast as possible - even if the Nav stuff isn't ready yet, everything else should be up and running and available ASAP.

My feelings with the boot time are mixed. Before installing the F700, I had a separate GPS and radio. I'm used to the radio being instant - as soon as the engine is going, I can listen to music, work the controls, etc etc.

The GPS, I am used to it taking a minute to kick in. It's just how GPS's work, it takes time to lock on to the satellites and make a fix. Getting the fix is more demanding than keeping the fix. My old GPS had three different 'nag' screens, but if you didn't hit the 'enter' button the screens would each time-out on their own, and by the time they had all timed-out the GPS had a fix and the map was working. If you OKed all the nag screens immediately, then you'd get a status screen and be stuck with that till the thing had a fix.

So I guess what I'm getting at is, I could live with the GPS / Nav / Map stuff being unavailable for a minute. I've always had that in every GPS I've used. What is infuriating is that until the GPS has a fix, every other blasted feature is locked-out too.

If you were listening to a CD then you do get music relatively quickly -- not instant though. My iPod kicks in after about 45 seconds. SD card? Forget it, that doesn't even start playing till after the GPS is up and running.

I can accept if they say that there's no way to have the thing be instantly fully functional - I'm willing to wait a minute before I can work the GPS. But everything else needs to come on a lot faster.

I can see them maybe thinking, "well the GPS is the slowest boot so we'll start that first.." but IMHO they should boot the fastest thing first - that gives the user something to 'play with' while the rest of the system wakes up.

And that dumb message that comes up telling you that the system is starting up... the splash screen only shows when the system is starting. What's the point of letting us add a custom splash screen, if you're going to put a message over top of it that says essentially the same thing? I'd understand if you were looking at a non-functioning map screen...then the startup message makes sense.

Anyhow, that last bit was a bit of venting... all in all, I think they could and should make some changes to it to get a usable UI as fast as possible - even if the Nav stuff isn't ready yet, everything else should be up and running and available ASAP.

I agree with you, I could live with it if the voice recognition and GPS took some time to load. But let me change the dang station right away!

I don't even really notice it any more... by the time I'm 100 feet out of my driveway it's running normally.

100 feet? Mine boots until I get out of my neighborhood - must be half a mile!

Depends on how long your car is running before you actually start driving. :wink:

I don't even really notice it any more... by the time I'm 100 feet out of my driveway it's running normally.

100 feet? Mine boots until I get out of my neighborhood - must be half a mile!

Depends on how long your car is running before you actually start driving. :wink:

True, but I typically don't sit in my car for 45 seconds before going anywhere...

I do find it odd that the group is so split. About half dont like it and half think its not too bad.

Odd..

HiFi, you've said in the past that the boot time doesn't really bother you in the morning because it takes you about a minute to get situated, make sure the garage closes etc. So does it ever annoy you if say you're out somewhere, or you've just gotten used to it altogether?

The only time it really gets to me is when im heading home from work, simply because I dont wanna wait around for a minute to hear my music after a day's work

I don't mind the boot time 95% of the time im in the car because my XM starts to play after about 5 seconds. The only time it really bugs me is waiting for it all to boot up so I can input a destination. But I suppose AVIC FEEDS will solve that mostly. I would love to try it out but google does not have a send to selection for the pioneer units yet.

I'm wondering... Anyone think theres a difference in boot times based on model? I would imagine the units without MSN direct or DVD or video codecs might boot a lot faster that the f90 or 900? Would anyone care to measure?

EDIT: Here's what I got using my handy iPhone stopwatch... (times are cumulative)

Ignition on to first light/Splash Screen: 07 secs

Splash Screen to the end of "loading": 76 secs

Ability to use unit (background tasks I assume): 88 secs

Bluetooth Connection: 106 secs

Fully functional, no lag : 115 secs

So we're talking just shy of 2 full minutes. Which doesn't sound like a lot - but considering my daily commute to my office takes 10 to 15 minutes and 6.25 miles - to me, that's rediculous.