AVIC411.com

Installing GXp10MQ in Trunk

I just received a GEXP10XMT as a gift and I am interested in installing this unit in the trunk and then run the wire (s) to the AVIC-Z1 already installed. I want both the XM function and the traffic updates. To make this happen how many wires need to connect back to the AVIC-Z1? In the AVIC-Z1 install manual it shows you need an extension for one of the connections, but the diagram is a bit confusing as to how many connections are actually needed, since it shows other components that I don't have. I bought one extension cable, but the second cable with a blue connector in one end is not long enough to reach the dashboard from the trunk. Do I need this cable to connect? Is there an extension required for that cable also? It may be that I am missing how XM is setup back to the AVIC-Z1. Appreciate any help.
I can't remember whether that one is the one with NavTraffic or not.

If it does have NavTraffic, then you need to connect both the connector with the blue end (its called an IP bus) and the data cable to the back of the Z1 (along with power wires somewhere).

If it doesn't, then you just need to connect the IP bus and cable.

You will also need to put the antenna somewhere on the roof or truck lid.

Just a side note; I'm not sure what car you have, but if you can find a spot where it fits under a seat it'll be a much easier install. The cables will be long enough and you don't need to worry about any extensions.
wires u need for pioneer xm navtraffic tuner:

-power (constant 12v, accessory, ground)
-ip bus cable (blue side goes to z1, black side goes to tuner as ip bus out)
-ip data cable (input goes to z1, output goes to tuner)
-antenna (best to be mounted on te trunk or top of windshield)

u need all of these 4 xm and navtraffic to work on the z1.
[quote name="sportsfan21"]ricerocket-

Isn't there also a data cable that needs to be attached from the tuner to the Z1 in order for the NavTraffic serivce to work?

I don't have the unit, but from what I've heard you need that wire.[/quote]

yes, that's the ip bus cable, itz how the z1 controls xm and navtraffic thru that plug. without it, the xm navtraffic would not be an option to choose from.
[quote name="PaisanNYC"]hey sportsfan :) I think youre right. I believe there is an ip bus cable for xm radio, and an ip data cable for navtraffic service.[/quote]

OK that makes sense, I need the two cables to make this work. In the tuner unit there is a warning not to connect ACC power (red) , I assume it gets ACC for the IP Bus cable. Thanks
[quote name="ricerocket21x"]wires u need for pioneer xm navtraffic tuner:

-power (constant 12v, accessory, ground)
-ip bus cable (blue side goes to z1, black side goes to tuner as ip bus out)
-ip data cable (input goes to z1, output goes to tuner)
-antenna (best to be mounted on te trunk or top of windshield)

u need all of these 4 xm and navtraffic to work on the z1.[/quote]

Wait....that doesn't sound right. I have NavTraffic added to mine. But I don't have a "tuner" that you're talking about.

You will need (1) IP Bus cable. That's it. You will route that cable either to your tuner or the Z1. If you have a tuner, I assume you already have the cable that runs from it to the Z1. But since I don't have a tuner, I'm not the definitive answer on how to route that. But I do know you only need the one IP Bus cable that comes with the NavTraffic. Maybe I'm confused here! LOL

Next, you DO NOT hook up both the power leads that come with the XM unit IF YOU USE A BUS CABLE. You should have received an update sheet in your box telling you which wire to just tape back. I believe it's the switched power you don't hook up....just the constant 12V. Read the update sheet to be sure. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll see if I can't find mine.

Next, if you mount in the trunk, you should ge able to get a good signal by mounting your antenna under the package tray. Just make sure you mount it to a good metal surface and there is no metal above the antenna. I think you'll be surprised at how good a signal you receive that way. However, a vehicle with metal tint to the rear window may impair reception.
The tuner is the box that you bought which enables you to get XM and NavTraffic. Thats the XM Satellite Radio tuner.

I was pretty sure that there was another wire that needed to go from the XM box to the Z1 besides the IP bus cable, but I may be wrong since I don't have either (I have the D2). I'm fairly certain that on the D1/D2 you need an extra data cable, I'm not sure on the Z1.