AVIC411.com

Nah man haven't had time. I worked from 6 this morning to JUST now (it's 9:30 at night). I do remember when I did the bypass though that my antenna was going straight to the HU. Does that help any?

Here's what I'm talking about with that setting: when I set it to radio, the antenna only comes up (and the back speakers only come on) when I listen to the radio. If I set it to Power, the antenna stays up all the time and the speakers stay on all the time. So in essence my original problem is fixed and there's no worries. I'm just curious as to why it's doing that with no amp in the middle and how I can going back to having my antenna only up when listening to the radio AND have my back speakers on all the time. I basically want the best of both worlds. It's not a huge priority because as I said, I'm very very busy, but I'd be interested to find out why it's doing that.

there is an amp in there only for the rears. there has to be...there is no other reason for the rears to shut off when the antenna goes down. the fronts go directly to the radio.

the amp turn on lead for the rear speakers is tied into the power antenna activation wire.

only way to get around this is to run some wires.

you can either:

1--run new speaker wires from the deck to the rear speakers, then you have bypassed the factory amp, and you can switch the antenna lead back to auto antenna and all the speakers will work and your antenna will function how you want it to.

2--connect the blue/white wire where the blue wire is now and run a new wire to the power antenna relay. that connects the auto antenna wire from the z to the antenna relay and allowing it to function as you want it to and the speakers still work and you retain the use of the factory amp in the rear.

3--- look for the factory amp. ive seen a lot of toyotas with the factory amp in the dashboard. its a small silver one with a heat sink on one side. that has the speaker leads in it. you can bypass the back speakers by running new wires from the z to the output of the factory amp so that it runs directly to the back leads. or you can run a wire from the blue/white on the z to the amp turn on lead going into the amp to keep it powered on when the auto antenna lead shuts off. but dont forget to cut it so that it doesnt backfeed to the antenna.

hope this helps!

well, with the tiny speakers in the rear, the idea of rear fill was probably taken into account. from what i remember, they were able to get quite a bit of bass out of those speakers. bass takes more power to make than highs, so the amp helps reproduce that. also, those rear speakers are behind the back seat if i remember correctly, so they would need to be pretty loud to be able to hear well.

well, with the tiny speakers in the rear, the idea of rear fill was probably taken into account. from what i remember, they were able to get quite a bit of bass out of those speakers. bass takes more power to make than highs, so the amp helps reproduce that. also, those rear speakers are behind the back seat if i remember correctly, so they would need to be pretty loud to be able to hear well.

I understand that and I agree with you but what I don't understand is why the front would not also be amped if the rears were. I also tried googling any info on a 92 4runner factory amp, front OR back, and nothing came up. If they are amped for whatever reason then the answer is probably between the 2 blue wires. The only fool proof way to check is run new speaker wires from the unit directly to the rear speakers. If at that point they do work, then they were amped and something is wired wrong...if they still don't, I think it'd be safe to say it's an internal problem?? There's no logical reason why everything is wired correctly, and the rears only work on the radio source. It's such an inconsistent issue.

The antenna only goes down if I power off the vehicle.

You're correct about this being inconsistent, when I figured out what was going on with the back speakers only working on the radio I was very perplexed.

There was only one owner before me of this vehicle, he took very very good care of it and there's a couple mods that were in place when I bought the vehicle about 4 or 5 years ago. For example, the foglights are custom and I'm under the impression that he did them himself. If there is an amp somewhere in my 4Runner I 1)Can't find it and 2)Wouldn't be surprised if there was one since the previous owner loved to tinker. I don't have any contact info for him or else I'd ask him if there was an amp hidden somewhere.

However, when I got my HU installed, the installer never said anything about finding an amp so I guess I should keep looking? This is a very odd problem.

I really think the problem is between the antenna wire and the remote wire. Only because this problem occurs with the radio only, and it's not uncommon to confuse those wires. If it were say, It works for FM but not AM, Id be completely stumped, but I think however the thing is wired up theyre getting their power from the antenna wire. when you changed them, did you just pop the connectors of the original and put them on the new ones? and you didn't tinker with any settings you didnt know right? and if you dont have an amp did you even hook up that blue and white wire? if so, what to?