AVIC411.com

How much did you spend on install?

OK, I contacted three installers (2 custom and Best Buy). The first custom installer got back to me. I will be his first Nissan Titan install, but he has done many Z1's.
He said for the Z1, Bluetooth, Backup Camera, and XM will take two days and he charges about $55 an hour. Basically, it will cost me around $1300!
I think that is way out of line.
He suggested that I cannot re-use my current amp and speakers either.
I have the LE model with the Rockford Fosgate 350 Watt amp. Others, on titantalk.com, have said it is all re-useable. That would keep my cost way down.
What do you think? Cost for a stereo swap-out keeping as much stock for now as I can to help keep the cost down?
Thank you again!
Thats absurd.

My installed charged me $200 + $30 for an adapter to install my D2 and iPod adapter, which is basically the same install as the Z1.

I have a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder with the Bose amp and Bose sound system, and my D2 works perfectly with it.

However, both the Bluetooth, XM and camera will add cost because the installer has to place the mic somewhere for the BT, run the antenna to the roof for the XM and drill into your car and then run wires back up front for the camera.

Even considering all those items, it should not cost $1300. Figure $250 for the Z1, maybe $50 for an adapter (a little more if you want to keep your steering wheel controls), the camera could be $200, the XM and the Bluetooth might be $100 each. You're looking at about $500-$700 from my estimation.

Also don't forget to try and get a discount by offering to pay cash. A private installer will probably give you a discount because they don't have to pay CC fees and even though they should declare it as income (and legally have to), many just pocket the cash.

Good luck!
Forgot to mention, it took my installer 3 hours to do the install, so saying it would take 2 days is rediculous.

I would guess that your installer isn't very experienced, because I figure it would take ME two days to do it, and I have fairly limited experience. So if your guy is telling you it would take 2 days, he's lying.

Go somewhere else. BestBuy usually has fixed prices that they have to charge for these installs, so see what they say.
[quote name="sportsfan21"]Forgot to mention, it took my installer 3 hours to do the install, so saying it would take 2 days is rediculous.

I would guess that your installer isn't very experienced, because I figure it would take ME two days to do it, and I have fairly limited experience. So if your guy is telling you it would take 2 days, he's lying.

Go somewhere else. BestBuy usually has fixed prices that they have to charge for these installs, so see what they say.[/quote]

hehe Read my mind. I called a guy at Best Buy that has worked on my Titan before and I am scheduled to do the install this Saturday morning. He told me it would be $200 to $500 worst case since I have the Bluetooth, XM, backup camera and head unit. I hope I can do this with my stock amp and speakers...
I hope you dont mind me butting in. I dont have a Z1. But I recently had an N3 installed in my Ford Explorer that had a factory installed amp. The original install time estimate at circuit city was estimated at two hours, but it came out to be 3-4 hours when they realized I had a factory amp and had to rerun all new wires under the floorboard of my truck to the factory amp all the way in the back quarterpanel. I definitely could be wrong, but I dont think the Z1 wiring is too much different from the N3, and you can see in my signature what I had installed with the N3.I think the total install for me was around $250 at Circuit City.
Do it yourself, is not that difficult... if you feel that is not your "thang" buy a prepaid service for most of the AVIC's... clicky in the linky [url]http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mdwrsrI3z5d/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=191850&I=597421018[/url].

What car is it? get a book and it should tell you pretty much everything you need...[url]http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7owYl8L9Nc1/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=880&I=2231448470[/url]
or depending in your car there are some master installation sheets [url]http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7owYl8L9Nc1/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=880&I=700MASTER[/url]

Hope it helps
THat is rediculous. There's a double din kit availible for the titan, so fabricating a kit for the truck is not needed. You can make the factory amp turn on with the z1. The metra number for the harness is 70-7551. It provides all the power lines and uses the rca jacks from the z1 to provide the audio signal. A word of advice, make sure to not only hook up the blue and the blue/white wires to the remote lead of the z1, but make sure to hook up both the black and the black/white of the harness to the black of the z1. IF the black/white doesn't get grounded the factory amp won't kick on all the time.
I did an enormous amount of research prior to installing my Z1 in my new '06 Subaru Forester XT. I purchased the Z1, GEX-P10XMT XM & xmNavTraffic receiver, ND-BC1 backup camera, and the ND-BT1 bluetooth option mailorder back in April/May for $2100. I then had Audio Images in Burlingame, CA (near SF Airport) do the install. I was familiar with them from a couple of prior Alarm system installs, etc.

Audio Images charged me $1200 for 28 hours of labor for the entire system install. In addition to the AVIC-related stuff above, they also installed front and rear door speakers, custom-fabricated a subwoofer mount for a JL Audio 8" sub, and custom-fabricated a wooden "support cage" to go over the amp I had mounted under the cargo floor in the back of the Forester. The cage keeps the floor level on top of the new amp.

They are a pretty high volume higher-end-than-Circuit-City install shop. I have NO COMPLAINTS AT ALL with the install quality or the cost. One of the reasons I chose them was that they had prior experience with the Z1. They also didn't give me any grief when I showed up with *ALL* the system parts NOT purchased at the shop. I had two minor problems: buzzing in a front door speaker caused by a slightly loose mounting screw, and poor AM/FM reception caused by not hooking up a 12v power feed to the factory antenna booster for the on-glass antenna. Both problems were rectified at no charge with 15 minute visits to the shop. They are REALLY fast at getting into and out of dash and door panels, etc. This validates my choosing them based on prior experience and installation work volume. Definitely recommended.
I decided to go all out and have the entire system replaced.
I ended up having the Z1, bluetooth, XM, backup camera, 6 channel JL amp, 6.5" Focal components in all four doors, a 10" JL sub with custom box, the new bezel and the PAC-swi-ps plus all the associated cables and wires (higher end stuff too). My damage is around $4500 for all including labor and parts. The install really is taking two days now! But that is OK, it was a lot of stuff to install and the guys were working on it literally all day today (9 to 9). I cannot wait to see it and hear it!
Of course I will take as many pics as possible and post 'em.
They were able to retain my factory DVD player and rear roof screen. I guess I can pop the DVD in the factory player in the center console and watch it on the Z1 and the rear DVD! I'll ask him how this was done. He is even running the 07/06 bypass for me.
Thanks!
[quote]They were able to retain my factory DVD player and rear roof screen. I guess I can pop the DVD in the factory player in the center console and watch it on the Z1 and the rear DVD![/quote]

The installer is probably splitting the video out from the DVD player and putting one video into the rear dvd screen and the other video plus L and R RCA into the AV input of the Z1. To watch a DVD you'll probably have to select the AV input.