AVIC411.com

ATT: Read before installing in VW MkV Golf/Rabbit or Jetta

After installing my F700 in my Rabbit I would get zero AM stations and have problems with some weaker FM stations. When I installed I used the amplified antenna adapter from Metra 40-EU55 prescribed from VWVortex for my car. Without this adapter AM reception is non existant.

After hours of troubleshooting, reading through VWVortex.com, and looking through the Bentley manual for these cars I figured out what the problem was. First I thought it had something to do with the diversity antenna system the '08 Rabbit uses (2 in-glass and 1 mast antenna) that has two antenna leads behind the radio, but others with the '08 were fine with one hooked up. I figured out that the 300mA put out by the f700's antenna lead is not enough power, as soon as I spliced the Metra adapter into the ACC lead AM stations came in clearly and I had no problem with FM.

This probably applies to all VW's with amplified antennas and not just the Golf/Rabbit or Jetta.

So if installing into a VW with an antenna amplifier use the ACC lead for your antenna power instead of the F Series' Power Antenna Lead.

thats how the amplified antenna adapters are supposed to be hooked up, not to the power ant lead... the power ant lead is intended to activate the motor for extension in power antennas.

wrong

The fine manual states that the antenna output is for either a motorized antenna (who even has those anymore) or an antenna amplifier. Just so long as the power does not exceed the perscribed .3A or whatever it is the manual states. My Nissan Altima's builtin amp works fine on this tiny amount of output.