AVIC411.com

BBB and Filing Complaint against Pioneer

Well...I just go off the phone with pioneer and they told me there is no update coming or they have not been told of anything. When I asked about the iphone they told me it was the iphone fault and not the units for fault.

but this weekend I played with a f900bt at best buy and it has restored my faith in pionee...I'm thinking of just getting another f90bt....I hope it works with ipod and iphone.

I have absolutely no problem using my iPhone 3G with my F900... The best way to voice dial a contact is to say:

"Call John Smith Mobile" or "Call John Smith Work"

The system will confirm the name and location and begin to dial. This works every time.

I believe you, but for me and many others, voice recognition never, ever works on dialing out. I have to speak the numbers. Ipod VR works great. Bluetooth connects fine and transfers contacts. So lets try to figure out what's different.

I have a US F700(new firmware) with Sirius and HD radio module.

I have the hardwired bypass(move pin and ground)

I have iPhone 3G running 2.1

My contacts are organized First Name, Last name

I can't think of anything else relevant. Anyone else?

Alright, so let's use deduction to see if we can figure out why you can't dial by contact name.

- Your bluetooth connection is fine, since you are able to make calls by dialing by contact number.

- Your mic works fine and the placement is good since the unit can hear you speak each number without a problem.

- You have said that all of your contacts transferred successfully to the unit, as each single contact in your phone is represented by multiple contact icons on the unit.

Since I am using the same iPhone software (2.1) and the same hardware, I know that it is indeed successful to dial by contact name. There is only one idea that may help your problem. On your iPhone, check each contact to ensure that when a single contact has multiple contact numbers, they do not share the same location.

Example:

You have a contact on your phone named Sharon Smith; there is a home, work and mobile number listed under her name in the iPhone. Make sure that next to each number in her contact information screen on the iPhone, the locations differ and they do not all say home or work or whatever. If even two contact locations match, the unit will get confused and will not know how to differentiate between the two numbers, thus requiring you to dial the contact by number instead.

Let me know if this is the case. I am trying to think if there could be any other issues, besides trying a full reset of the unit and re-transferring the contacts from the phone.

For the best method of pairing the iPhone to the F-series unit, check out the link below and look four posts from the bottom of that page.

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16455

You need to make sure there are no symbols in any of your contact names. Our pioneer rep told us sometimes people put in a "&" or "/" symbol, and it seems to screw up the voice rec. He had the same problem, and then removed the symbols, and everything worked great after.

Could be because I have all contacts entered with + codes so I can dial anyone no matter where in the world I am. +1 for US +41 for Switzerland, etc.

Try storing the numbers somewhere else and leave only names without characters, and numbers in 10 digit format in your phone. Delete your phone from the avic, then re-pair and resend the phone book with VR turned on. If it works now, you know the international numbers and/or names with characters are the problem

I have absolutely no problem using my iPhone 3G with my F900... The best way to voice dial a contact is to say:

The system will confirm the name and location and begin to dial. This works every time.

I believe you, but for me and many others, voice recognition never, ever works on dialing out. I have to speak the numbers. Ipod VR works great. Bluetooth connects fine and transfers contacts. So lets try to figure out what's different.

I have a US F700(new firmware) with Sirius and HD radio module.

I have the hardwired bypass(move pin and ground)

I have iPhone 3G running 2.1

My contacts are organized First Name, Last name

I can't think of anything else relevant. Anyone else?

My situation is exactly the opposite. My iphone voice call works great but my ipod voice control works almost never.

I didnt read this entire thread but...

I do think that most if not all of the problems with iphone ipod etc are most likely caused by Apple. I for one wouldn't want to complain "too much" about its functionality. Doing so might cause pioneer to abandon its attempts to incorporate the iphone ipod etc in its programming at all.

It's like when MS and Intel teamed up to screw over AMD. Corp's do this crap all the time.

A better way to look at it might be instead of being mad at Pioneer maybe people should be calling Apple and asking them why their expensive iphone doesnt work correctly when you plug it into your Navi. They'll tell you it's Pioneer's fault and they won't care but thats who Id be complaining to.

Apple doesnt care because you're going to buy the iphone reguardless if it works with your Navi or not.

The iphone ipod etc should have a simple plug and an easy interface that allows other companies to easily incorporate it into their programming. Instead Apple does all it can to make it harder and harder for other companies to get the thing to work.

Go file a suit against Apple not Pioneer!

I have absolutely no problem using my iPhone 3G with my F900. Once you have transferred all of your contacts to the unit, you will have multiple contacts for a single contact name and they will seem indifferent when they are actually three different numbers as listed in your iPhones contact list.

The best way to voice dial a contact is to say:

Incoming calls are different, however, since the unit does not recognize incoming contacts and will list the number instead of the name (unless you manually edit the units contact list). Quite annoying.

not only this, but you can use SQL lite and modify the phonebook database to your liking....

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18248

Here is a link to a post that I started earlier today about manually editing your contacts using SQLite.

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18614

I have an HTC Touch (Sprint) and it wouldn't import my contacts so I did it all manually. Yeah, it took me a good 20 minutes to figure out SQLite and input all 63 of my contacts. I just changed it like:

"John Doe (H)" for home

"John Doe (W)" for work

"John Doe (M)" for mobile

my voice dial works great, contacts are nice and neat.

Well...I never thought that going to BBB would do something...but pioneer called me and told I can get a full refund for my f90bt.....They also gave me an update on the firmware....I can't say when...but its coming REALLY SOON and it contains some of the fixes mentioned in other threads.

The best thing is they are letting me test my f90bt once the update comes out and even if I dont like it with the update then I can still return it for a full refund.....

suggestion if you dont like your Avic file something with the BBB.