AVIC411.com

Installing the HD radio module

I was lucky that my car has two antennas, so the HD module and the HU each has their own antenna, and it works great. But i must be the only one that things the SQ of the HD radio tuner plain sucks. The sound it so dense and the treble is ear-piercing. If i adjust the EQ to compensate, then when it switches over to analog FM there is no treble and it sounds muddy. We have factory installed HD in our BMW and it sounds much better than this. In fact, i think the SQ of the F900 in general is not very good. I had a D3 in my Jetta and combined with the factory Monsoon system it was the best sound system i've had. The F900 combined with the Bose system in my Audi is no where near as good as that. I know Bose is not a favorite among car audio guys, but it did sound much better with the stock HU. The factory sub used to SLAM with the stock HU, and now i have to put the bass boost up to 2 or 3 on the F900 to get it anywhere near as good, and then its too much bass for the door speakers and they start to distort. I could crank it with zero distortion on the factory HU. Sorry, i didn't mean to go so OT there but i've just been pretty disappointed with the unit so far. I feel as if its using some low-grade Windows software-based sound chip, like a Realtek chip you would find on a cheapo mATX motherboard.

Actually from what i've read on the Audi websites, all the EQ is done in the amp, and the factory HU provides a flat signal. On the standard sound system the HU does all sorts of its own EQ. I've tried setting the EQ on the pioneer to flat and its just bad. No bass from the sub at all. I just dont see how the sub could go from being so loud to almost nothing. I have seen a few other posts about people complaining about no bass on the F so i dont think its just me.

Might depend on the headunit, model, etc. There is a pin on the harness that tells the headunit to run in Bose mode on some models, I believe...

FWIW, in my A3 the sound is acceptable with F90 and Bose, but I run flat EQ and don't want too much bass (not that Bose subwoofers could provide much decent bass anyway)...

Hey, Iceman...

Do you get decent AM radio with the splitter? I get good FM good HD, but can't find an AM station for beans... any ideas?

I get pretty good AM but I think the FM is not as good as my stock unit. It gets static in places where my stock HU was fine at. I've read that some people connect the antenna wire to the ACC wire to get more power to the antenna amp. Can anyone confirm this will work?

Hey, Iceman...

Do you get decent AM radio with the splitter? I get good FM good HD, but can't find an AM station for beans... any ideas?

I get pretty good AM but I think the FM is not as good as my stock unit. It gets static in places where my stock HU was fine at. I've read that some people connect the antenna wire to the ACC wire to get more power to the antenna amp. Can anyone confirm this will work?

Hey, Iceman...

I'd like to know as well. My FM strength is definitely not what it used to be.

So my car is a Nissan Rogue and it has a powered antenna. After some searching I was able to confirm that. I hooked it up to the antenna power connection on the stereo and it worked perfectly.

It was funny though because at first it didn't do anything even though it was setup right, but after I hooked the lot together it was great.

The sound is so much better than standard FM, so I guess maybe where you're from. I'm up near Seattle over in Kirkland and it just works so well and sounds great. I'm really pleased.