AVIC411.com

USB Drive - Firmware 2.0

What hard drives have you been using?

I have been testing it with the WD 2.5" drives 160GB (costco), and it does not work. (with neither 1.x or 2.0 firmware).

The drive is formatted FAT32, but it has the WD software on it. This could make some issues (although that the WD software would not run on Win CE), but if F900 doesn' like any files, it will crash.

And that's what I have been experiencing with the external HDD, that it will crash after a few mins, and the USB icon is never enabled on the touch screen.

Reading the stuff on the forum, many suspect that this is related to power, so I had to put this to test.

I got a USB charger that outputs 5V at max 500mA, and disconnected the power and GND lines from a USB cable and connected it to my USB car charger circuit.

The drive (USB circuit of the drive enclosure) does power up, and the car charger detects the current draw.

Then I connected it to the F900BT, and it would still crash.

Listening to the drive, it does not start spinning, so I don't think what's on the drive (file, format, ..) matter.

[[ SATA HDDs will spin up immediately (or after a delay) once the link is up (PHY RDY). While SAS HDDs can link up, and then under control of the host, the drive will spin up. ]]

I would guess that the F900 has USB issues talking to the USB chip on the drive enclosures.

Any one has any thoughts on this?

I gave up on the 2.5" WD HDD, and moved on to 3.5" HDDs.

Using a power inverter (110V), powered up my 500GB external HDD, and connected it via USB.

After initial failure, .. I deleted the partitions on the HDD, made a 2GB primary partition /FAT32/ and :-) AVIC was able access the HDD.

Next I tried reformatting it from my win xp to a 500GB FAT 32... when I found out that win XP doesn't let you format a partion larger than 32GB to FAT32.

But you can use the command prompt (and not qith the quick format option /q) to do this.

Before I do this.. I tested it again with a 32GB FAT32 format, .. and AVIC was still fine.

So... now I am waiting for the SLOW FAT32 format of 500GB to finish.

(if your drive is d:)

format d: /fs:FAT32

If this works too, .. then I need to come up with a power supply solution.

Having an inverter to step up 12 to 110V and then down to 12 and 5 V doesn't seems efficient to me. (but a simpler solution).

So, I need to find a car charger that provides regulated 12 and 5V. I think 1amp is more than enough for each power rail. ( I cant check the adapter rating now, .. as it is plugged in a and it is formatting) :-)

Cheers