AVIC411.com

Modifications Made Easy

It really is not complicated editing and adding files, but heck, I needed 5 hours of time to do the hardware bypass due to a bad system ground on the din chassis. Lots of wasted soldering....

EDIT 11/9/08 6AM: Before doing any of this, go to the FAQ and read how to back up your files to the SD card and make a copy of the backup on your PC. (A complete backup is available online for $10 via paypal :lol: )

Anyways, I wanted to make a simple solution for the beginner to get started with the mods I found most useful. Here are simple instructions and a link to a ZIP file containing an all in one for a few mods. The directions below are included in an MS Word file in the zip.

The file is here: http://www.box.net/shared/2iz59qsiom

1. Unzip the Common_hacks.zip file to a freshly formatted SD card.

2. Put SD into the AVIC and turn on the car.

3. Wait for WIN CE to boot and click the X on top right corner of screen

4. Double click My Device and open Storage Card folder

5. Highlight and copy DATA.zip (Edit/copy)

6. Click back to My Flash Disk/APL2/iGo

7. Delete DATA.zip

8. Paste the new DATA.zip

9. Go back to Storage Card folder and copy Branding.zip and paste in My Flash Disk/APL2/iGo

10. Exit to main screen

11. Turn off car and remove SD card.

12. On reboot it will be updated. You can then click on System Settings through Avic and upload pics from the pictures folder on the SD card as your background. I included a few pics.

Files included:

Testmode folder

MiTACAP folder

DATA.zip (already modified)

Branding.zip

Pictures folder

Mods include:

Software bypass set to 256 kph (159 mph)

Compass button route delete function

Voice guidance mute button

Branded Icons for AVIC

Credit to BorisM and VBLUE42.

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18428

Copy Branding.zip to: Myflash/apl2/igo

Upon reboot you will have all new POI icons. Most will already be linked to their perspective categories but some will have to be selected manually the first time through the MANAGE POI screen on the unit. The only categories not covered in this file are fast food restaurants but I suspect that’s because there is no such option under the restaurants category on the F series.

post-24057-12872756145155_thumb.jpg

Cool, thanks for all the work! I assume this is v2.0?

Yes, 2.0

And to prev post: I just put the folder there because when I wanted to move some over the first time, I did not have the folder named pictures, I just copied them to the Data folder and was like, where are they.

It would be easy to copy them over to the AVIC, but that would entail making the AVIC then find them. Too much work.

PM the adim and see if you can get this into the a sticky somewhere.

Though you've done a lot of work and a lot of thought already, maybe top this off with a pic of the finished product. Kinda showing where the voice mute button will be. And reiterating the compass button will double for the route deletion button.

I saw the pics also, needs blood! :lol:

You might want to append your directions to state "backup your existing data.zip" and "I do not provide any support or assume any liability USE AT YOUR OWN RISK"

8)

x2 Valiant effort and appreciated, but to everyone using this ALWAYS use caution modding if you are unsure of what you are doing!

i do it this way...

i copy the files i want to modify out the data.zip and modify them on my computer. then i copy only those files back head unit via a sd card. you have to create the correct folder structure you find in the data.zip file.

so i don't modify or change any thing on the head unit but add my modified files. so i can go back very simple by just delete the added file. no need to zip or unzip etc. and if you make a error in one of the added file it's easy to correct.

EDIT 11/9/08 6AM: Before doing any of this, go to the FAQ and read how to back up your files to the SD card and make a copy of the backup on your PC. (A complete backup is available online for $10 via paypal :lol: )

I could not find the information in FAQ on how to back up the existing data or information online for PayPal. Any direct links? Or can you please provide this information?

Thanks!!