AVIC411.com

Getting the F90BT

With the new firmware out I decided it's the right time to pick up the F90BT. I've never installed a receiver for a car so I'm a total newbie but I decided to do it myself. I was wondering if there is a tutorial with images on installation so the process goes straightforward. I have an 08 Scion tC.

I will be picking up the head unit from Amazon.com for $659.95. Additionally I want steering wheel control so would be the right one?: http://tinyurl.com/6d4sjd

One last thing, I want a rear view camera. Which do you recommend? The pioneer one: http://tinyurl.com/5tzz2b

If all the product descriptions are accurate, then you've got all the right parts picked out. If you've never installed your own car stereo, be very cautious with this being your first as it might be a touch difficult. Don't forget to do your reading on the hardware bypass

Lastly, I think everyone recommends the Boyo cam, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

i just bought one for the my 08 tC as well. its coming in tomorrow and i cant wait.

everything you listed looks good besides the dash kit. there should only be 2 little pieces that go on the sides of the unit. you use the stock bracket and just drill the holes to be a little wider that way you can slide the unit a little further back. that will allow you to close the door.

also i would buy the unit on ebay. if you go and sign up for live.com's cashback program they have a offer of 25% off things on ebay. i ended up saving over $160 on the f90bt which ended up coming out to only $483 after the discount!

im sure there is a post around here to tell you how to do it. its not that hard. you just have to have a ebay and paypal account on top of the live.com account

good luck

Appreciate the response guys.

terron>

Yeah I am doing research on the installation process and everything and been checking the forums for information. I did look at the posts for the bypass. In order to run the bypass, what will I need to purchase? Also I searched for installation guides but haven't found a thorough step-by-step with images. Any recommendation would be appreciated.

I've read reviews on crutchfield.com that the chrome on the Boyo back-up camera starts to wear after a while so I'm still researching the Pioneer one.

Unexpectederror>

You're saying the dash kit that I linked to wouldn't work? Which do I need then? And can you go into detail on how to make the head unit fit flush and have the cover close. What tools would I be needing? Curious to see how your installation goes. I will be posting mine after the install.

terron>

Yeah I am doing research on the installation process and everything and been checking the forums for information. I did look at the posts for the bypass. In order to run the bypass, what will I need to purchase? Also I searched for installation guides but haven't found a thorough step-by-step with images. Any recommendation would be appreciated.

I've read reviews on crutchfield.com that the chrome on the Boyo back-up camera starts to wear after a while so I'm still researching the Pioneer one.

I bought this Boyo cam: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio ... ctID=20422

To do the hardware bypass properly you need a soldering iron and some small gauge solder. You'll also need a precision flathead screwdriver to pry the tab up to relocate the mute button. Go ahead and get some heatshrink rather than black plastic tape.

I'll reexplain in case you haven't grasped the concept. You're going to cut the black ground wire about 6 inches from the connector. You're also going to cut the parking brake and designated mute wire about the same length. Solder them altogether and cover with heatshrink. Now, you're going to relocate the mute wire to the new parking spot (see the bypass thread for pictures) and your bypass is done.

You've got a lot of work ahead of you; tapping into the steering wheel controls, soldering up the wiring harnass, running an RCA cable/power to the rear for the backup camera. Just remember to take brakes often and DONT rush yourself or your work. Don't resort to using wire nuts or butt splice connectors.

Let us know how it turns out.

I have 4 vehicles with back up cameras. Every one has a different camera. One has the Pioneer camera. It was hard to install in such a way that it didn't show much or stuck out like a sore thumb. But it's under the trunk lip on a Lincoln LS and is fairly well hidden there. The reason I mention it is because it is without a doubt, the best camera of the bunch. No doubt. I have a couple of other pretty spendy bullet cams that are IR, color, etc that don't hold a candle to the Pioneer cam. It does a much better all around job in differing conditions. However, I have not tried the Boyo cam.

Is the F900BT the same size as the F90BT? I'm trying to find out if I need a dash kit. I have a 2000 honda accord LX, I remember when I had the D3 I didn't need the dash kit. Do I need a dash kit? Anyone here with the 2000 Accord?

The F700, F900 and F90 all have the same overall dimensions.

terron>

Does your Boyo camera have RCA jacks?

Does everyone use a soldering iron to install this? I don't have one and I thought it would install without one. I did get a link to a tutorial on the bypass w/pics on the forums from a fellow poster.

Yes, the Boyo has a RCA video cable. And no, you dont have to solder your connections, you can use wire splicing connectors. Soldering is by far the best choice though. However I have installed every head unit in my car for the last 15 years and never had a problem with splicing connectors.

I've never used a splicing tool but I guess I'm gonna have to go purchase one for this install.

I currently have two questions: (for now. lol)

1. I currently have the stock setup on my Scion tC with the ipod & aux hookup in the center console. I want to keep this setup rather than the glovebox. How difficult is it to keep it the way it is now? Is it just a matter of wiring the cables under the carpet?

2. After installing the head unit, I want to be able to close the cover. On the tC, I've read that you need to drill holes. Would I need a electric drill to do this. Also anyone have instructions w/pics?