AVIC411.com

Last Word on Pac Audio and SWI-PS

I have the SWI-PS and it works fine for me .... now.

The "key beep delete" (search for it) mod made a HUGE difference in button responsiveness. Now the steering wheel controls respond much like OEM.

A couple of notes after the mod, though:

Holding down Vol Up or Vol Down buttons still sometimes makes the volume "run". But this only happens when I hold the button down for a long time (more than a couple of seconds). If I tap the button or just hold it down briefly, it responds right away and as expected (increment/decrement volume by 1 unit with a tap, by a few units with a brief button hold).

Mute/unmute works fine (and yes, I do have the hardwire bypass with the mute wire moved), but it takes barely a tap. Hold it down for more than a tap and it doesn't work.

Other than that, I'm a WHOLE lot happier with responsiveness after the "key beep delete" mod.

EDIT: Here's a brief rundown on "key beep delete" (thanks to Stephanie and the ohter posters on this)...

There are 8 files in the folder (DATA\Sound). The 40KB files to be deleted are:

PSG1Hi

PSG2Hi

PSG1Low

PSG2Low

The other files (PSG3, PSG4, PSG5, VR) can be left alone.

My experience: when I deleted these files, besides getting rid of the annoying key beeps, no adverse effects were noted and my steering wheel controls responded MUCH better (as noted previously by others)...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently have a SWI-PS in my '98 Neon, running to my 790BT. I have many of the same issues. Sometimes my volume/track select buttons work great, sometimes I have a delay. I have mine set up to do Volume up/down, track up/dn (or station up/dn manual), mute and source. My 90BT should be here on the 8th, so I will start the install then.

I really wish I could program the current source button to activate the voice recognition, tho.

Jay

I just completed an install of the F90BT and the SWI-PS in to an 07 Civic Si.

My findings are as follows:

The SWI-PS DOES work with the F90BT, but does not work well. Others may have had a better experience, and I'm not sure if my problems are caused by the SWI-PS, the AVIC, or a combination of the two.

There is a rather noticeable delay between when a button is pressed and when the AVIC responds. Sometimes when pressing a button only once (volume), it isn't recognized at all. After holding the volume button down and releasing, the AVIC will continue the turn the volume up for a second or two before stopping.

It's better than nothing, but not perfect by any means.

I called PAC about these issue and they said there is no firmware or issues, and that 99% are user related. Not sure if thats true, but I bought a unit from a local dealer, and installed it in my 2003 4Runner and it works as stated with only a minimal delay, but works fine.

Also one question I had was my sterring wheel button illumination was gone, and that PAC install does restore that as well.

I only have 5 buttons anyway, but I have vol +/- and track +/- and source which all do what I expected.

Just an FYI - I have the SWI-PS on my AVIC-Z3 and have all the same problems desribed - especially the slow response and the volume running like crazy with just the touch of the vol button -

Is there any form of this "key beep delete" mod for the AVIC series - wonder if the deleted files are the same in the AVIC filesystem structure..?? anyone know?

So everybody knows, we, PAC, have did our best to remedy most of the concerns of the SWI-PS. Unfortunately the preset signal is no longer sent to the wired remote input, so there is no fix for that. As far as the delay, if anybody understands how this part works, it has to recieve and change the input signal to a useable data signal accepted by the Pioneer.Somethings cannot be changed on our end and we do the best we can.

Fo those that are complaining about spending $50 on this part, you are probably not buying form a authorized dealer since this part retails for $89.99.Most of those sales were probably eBay sales in which PAC will not honor any issues or old revisions with those parts.

PAC

Hope I didn't coming off as complaining. I was just stating facts and also stated that I was getting used to it.

I am going to try the beep delete trick to see if it helps.

I bought mine from Crutchfield

Mine looks different from the one pictured in the example shown on their site. it is housed in a smaller blue plastic box. Just figured it was a newer revision of the adapter.

Mine looks different from the one pictured in the example shown on their site. it is housed in a smaller blue plastic box. Just figured it was a newer revision of the adapter.
I just received the blue one too. The box says SWI-PSV1, though I would expect something newer than the original to be a 1.something or even v2. Not sure if this is something new, or just an exterior box change.

post-12349-12872756724072_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
So everybody knows, we, PAC, have did our best to remedy most of the concerns of the SWI-PS. Unfortunately the preset signal is no longer sent to the wired remote input, so there is no fix for that. As far as the delay, if anybody understands how this part works, it has to recieve and change the input signal to a useable data signal accepted by the Pioneer.Somethings cannot be changed on our end and we do the best we can.

Fo those that are complaining about spending $50 on this part, you are probably not buying form a authorized dealer since this part retails for $89.99.Most of those sales were probably eBay sales in which PAC will not honor any issues or old revisions with those parts.

PAC

Is Best Buy an authorized dealer? They have them for $47.99.

PAC

Is Best Buy an authorized dealer? They have them for $47.99.

I just saw that. Im not sure who they buy from, but it looks like a online price only so im guessing any return issues might be a little bit of a hassle. You can buy where ever you want, but just make sure you get a 1 warranty like our dealers offer.

OK, now that we have established that the problem is that the head unit does not send the preset up/preset down signal to the remote, we really need some of these smart hack/mod folks to fix this for us. I know I would really love to have this function back on my steering wheel buttons.

Leaning over every time you want to change the XM channel is a pain in my back!!! literally.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd share an updated experience with the new versions...

I bought a full 700BT/GEX-P10HD/SWI-PS kit from Crutchfield last week. I had a local dealer install it all straight out of unopened boxes (read: unmodded 700BT) in my 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid, which has CH+/-, VOL+/-, and MODE steering controls.

The only thing that didn't go as planned, which I expected, was the SWI-PS. After using the PAC install instructions, he wasn't able to get anything working properly: both + keys and the CH- were totally inoperable, the VOL- was muting the unit (ATT), and the Mode was a shortcut to the Phone menu. He was kind enough to mount the actual SWI-PS unit inside the pry panel under the climate controls, so I could simply pry open the panel and try it myself over the weekend, and he invited me back to set it up properly when I had time and could get PAC figure it out.

So first thing: these new SWI-PS units (small, blue, mine was firmware rev 1.6.7) come with REVISED instructions that are in the box, but NOT on their web instructions. They're specifically for PIONEER units with BLUETOOTH reception (sounds familiar...), and contain THREE new functions: Phone Status, Pickup Call, and Drop Call. So, there's an extra three steps to programming it, and that seemed to be throwing my installer off.

Second thing: the unit, at least in my Civic Hybrid, required me to do the programming MUCH faster than the instructions let on. If I didn't hold down the Volume Up control when I first started programming, it wasn't detecting it, and that'll throw the whole sequence off. It also seemed to be randomly detecting signal when I wasn't sending any. I spent the better part of an hour getting the timing down, so that when I actually programmed it it worked properly. I realize this could be a faulty unit, but there's more...

THIRD, and KIND OF IMPORTANT TO THE THREAD: at least two times during my timing exercises, I was able to have the unit somehow change PRESETS, at least in the HD Radio function, with the Vol+ or CH+ keys. Again, because I was flying through it, I wasn't quite sure what command was doing it. Even worse, when I did finally get the timing down, I was able to program Preset + and Preset - to the CH+ and CH- keys, and when I tested it the keys again did nothing, just as PAC describes.

I WAS able to get the entire system working after about two hours of work tonight, albeit with all the delay problems and with no preset changing that you all describe as well. I really would like to know what it was sending to change presets those two times, but it's bad enough that it took two hours for me to do something I should've figured out in 15 mins, and I'm just glad to have it working at this point.

With 700BT's implementation across all of the modes, Preset + and - removes your ability to skip tracks on external media/CD/iPod, so it might be best that the Preset functions don't work, at least for those of you that don't have dedicated preset keys and use a variety of media. I plan to use it primarily for HD radio though, so I feel your pain in having to reach ALL THE WAY OVER THERE to get at my presets (and for the lack of preset display, but that's another thread...). I'm not sure that can be fixed in software, but if it can, here's to hoping.

Enjoy...

DJGWK