AVIC411.com

F90BT Volume Knob Improvement

One of my biggest complaints about the F90BT is the size and type of surface that they made the volume knob out of. I really wanted to be able to quickly grip the knob and have a better feel. When I turn the volume knob now, it feels like my fingers are sort of slipping on the knob.

So I go home one night and removed the volume knob from the system by simply pulling straight out on the knob. It's pretty tight, but it will come out with no problems. I started brain-storming. . . . how could I make this thing feel better. I go out to my garage and look on my work bench and the fist thing that I see is a hose faucet fitting that had a black rubber washer inside of it. . .

NO. . .it couldn't be that easy! Nothing EVER comes this easy for me I thought! But I tried it anyway and guess what? It was a perfect fit! I couldn't believe it. All I had to do was use some pressure and some manipulation of the rubber washer around the knob and there it was! It looks great and professional - almost like it was designed to be there. I would really prefer a softer more rubbery feel so I might go to the local home fix-it shop and see if there are other options. But until then, it's perfect.

Now I love everything about my F90BT unit!! :D

Anyone should be able to do this quick and painless mod to their unit if they don't like the way the knob feels. Here is a picture of my knob after the washer is on. It really is a huge improvement to the way it feels.

post-24391-12872756377262_thumb.jpg

post-24391-12872756377482_thumb.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. No, I can't notice any illumination problems, but I really haven't looked for that either. . .

That is the wording that I was looking for - the knurled knob feel.

I didn't post the size, but I'll go measure the inner and outer sizes and post them.

I'm sure there is something already out there that has the notches in it already. A toy car's rubber tire comes to mind. .. . hee hee, I'll have to wait until the kids go to sleep and poke around! :D Maybe a hobby store would be a good place to look.

The softer the rubber is, the better. I wish that Pioneer would take note and make the next generation with this type of knob.

Yes, I can still move the knob in all of the directions. It is as unrestricted as it was before the washer. . .

I guess you could just leave the knob on the unit to apply the washer, but it was just a lot easier to do it while it was removed.

Let us know what you find at the store!

Thanks

The size of the washer that I used is:

Inner dim: .5"

Outer dim: 12/16"

One thing that I forgot that I had to do was to sort of turn the washer onto it's side as I was pushing it around onto the knob. This is due to the thickness of the washer from the inner to the outer dim. It would stick up too high if it were placed on the knob using the inner rim part of the washer so when you lay it on it's side while pushing it on, it stayed on well and the thickness was much smaller.

The entire washer width is just about 1/16" larger than the width of the knob.

If anyone has any luck at Home Depot (or anyone else), lemme know - I tried and could only find round washers that might fit (and would not work). I did check out flat washers in plumbing and hose washers, but nothing that looked like it would work. Except for hose washers in hoses and connectors - but I didn't want to steal one - lol - fearing bad karma and being cursed with missing parts on everything I buy from now on - hahahaha...

Sorry you didn't have any luck. If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure that stores will carry packages of replacement hose fitting washers. Maybe in a store like Target? I know I have seen them!

I'm going to do some searching and testing this weekend and I"ll let you know what I find.

These look REALLY close to what I used!

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

I just wish they would state the size in the description.

** I re-measured the washer that I used tonight and found that in it's non-stretched form and a different ruler, the measurements are:

OD: 2.1 centimeters

ID: 1.5 centimeters

and it is about .3 centimeters thick (on edge) and about .4 centimeters wide from the inner to the outer ring. Which is very close to the width of the volume knob on the edge. Anything thicker would probably inhibit the free movement of the knob and or could block illumination at night.