AVIC411.com

F90BT installation

Ok so I was installing this unit w/a buddy all day today and we are probably finishing it tomorrow.

When we plugged in the ipod, and loaded up a video, I don't get the video; only sound. Also it gives me a warning sign that you aren't allowed to view videos while the car is in motion even though we did the bypass and the vehicle is parked. Are we missing something here?

Also how do I put the gps unit behind the a-pillar without triggering the side air bags?

Finally, I want to route the ipod cable to the center console and when we tried to remove the center console, the part wouldn't fully come off. How is everyone doing this?

All the help I can get is much appreciated

When we plugged in the ipod, and loaded up a video, I don't get the video; only sound. Also it gives me a warning sign that you aren't allowed to view videos while the car is in motion even though we did the bypass and the vehicle is parked. Are we missing something here?

Also how do I put the gps unit behind the a-pillar without triggering the side air bags?

Finally, I want to route the ipod cable to the center console and when we tried to remove the center console, the part wouldn't fully come off. How is everyone doing this?

1) You did the bypass wrong, go back and re-read the directions

2) No one is going to touch that question because we don't want to be liable for you setting off your airbag. You also failed to mention the make, model and year of your car.

3) Refer to the second part of #2

My bad. I am installing the F90BT on my 08 Scion tC.

1) I think the reason I'm not getting video is because I didn't ground the parking wire. How would you do this? Please explain in detail since I'm a newb.

2) I got a tip on another forum that if I take the battery out of the loop and let the car sit for 10-20 minutes to disengage the bags and then pull the piller off carefully, I can wire the gps to the a-pillar.

Otherwise, where would you recommend placing the gps?

My bad. I am installing the F90BT on my 08 Scion tC.

1) I think the reason I'm not getting video is because I didn't ground the parking wire. How would you do this? Please explain in detail since I'm a newb.

2) I got a tip on another forum that if I take the battery out of the loop and let the car sit for 10-20 minutes to disengage the bags and then pull the piller off carefully, I can wire the gps to the a-pillar.

Otherwise, where would you recommend placing the gps?

By grounding the wire, we mean that you need to connect the parking brake (and relocated mute wire if you're doing the hardware bypass) to the chassis of the car.. pretty simple stuff with words you may not be used to.

The black wire coming off the connector, thats the ground wire. Electrical signals are leaving the unit through the ground wire. You need to provide the same path for the parking brake and mute wire as well, to the vehicles chassis.

You can put the GPS on top of the unit in the dash if you like. Do yourself a favor and don't go meddling with the airbags.. no good can come from this.

The GPS can go almost anywhere..the front corners of the dash are popular places..some have had much success by putting the GPS antenna under the dash stuck to a piece of metal somewhere. I actually have mine in the back on top of my 3rd brake light. Easy to run up the side door panels, under the back seat.

Make SURE the mute wire pin is properly seated inside the location where you placed it in the harness. Consult a mechanic at your local dealership for info on your airbags

lseguy1>

I'd like a clean factory look so a lot of people are putting it under the dash. Do you know where that goes? It seems easy to route so I think that's what I'm doing.

When doing the bypass, the mute wire clicked when I inserted it so I think we're good there. Thanks for the heads up.

As terron pointed out, I'm not gonna mess w/the air bags.

Putting it under the dash is a 50-50 shot. The basic rule of thumb is you can't have any metal obstructing its signal path, and the top of your dash may have metal. I put it there originally and I got a horrible signal, where some people have perfect reception. Only way to know is put it there, mount the unit in, and take a drive down the closest highway and some back roads.

I'm curious to know if anybody that placed the GPS antenna under the dash have had reception problems? I would assume that putting the device somewhere open and away from many other electrical devices (like in the back window) would yield better results.

The back window of my '01 Accord gave me the best reception hands down for the GPS.

I got the parking wire grounded now so video and bypass works! :D

I put the gps antenna to the right of the unit for now. Tested it and got "high" signal. What do u guys think of the location?

Here's one of the pics:

dscf7055ft9.jpg

Now how do I route the bluetooth mic to the accessory switch like this:

erictc2lt8.jpg

Please help

You pop out the dummy switch, by taking the belly panel down and popping it out from the back, or if you're lucky you can use a pick tool and wiggle it out from the front, drill a hole through it then run the mic wire along the existing looms uner the dash to the radio, for example the ignition wires. Just stay away from any moving parts, ie the steering column, steering knuckle, and make sure you don't put strain on the wire if you adjust the steering wheel height. Very easy to run wires.

I'm curious to know if anybody that placed the GPS antenna under the dash have had reception problems? I would assume that putting the device somewhere open and away from many other electrical devices (like in the back window) would yield better results.

I was sweating over where I was going to put my GPS antenna. The idea came to me to put it inside the dash. It works great! My AVIC has told me twice that it lost GPS signal.. but I think it was just the street that I was on (Happened twice in the same spot I drove by). The signal strength is high. I stuck it on top of the cubby with the Ipod cable sticking out, closed up my dash and voila! Good to go! The mic is the only thing I had wire through my dash.

NOTE: Not my car in the pics..

post-24392-12872756500599_thumb.jpg

post-24392-12872756501733_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

iv read that if yo put the mic on the accessory switch panel on the scions that people you call get an annoying echo effect due to the door speaker right there being picked up by the mic. iv heard of people putting the mic up on the map light piece above your head by the rearview mirror but how did they rout the wire? up the pillar is my only guess but scions have airbags there???????? anyone know i want to do it this way.