AVIC411.com

SOMEONE PLEASE hack for PTY.

My stock audi radio gave me PTY. Which for those who dont know is the radio station information. Tells you the station, Artist playing at the time, and the title of the song. why would a stock radio give me that info but a 90bt unit wouldnt ?? Also please someone figure out how to hack the frequency range of the radio. EXTREMELY ghetto that it wont go past 87.9. In NY we have a staion pulse 87.7 and its actually one of the best stations out right now and i cant get it anymore. Seriously thinking of selling my brand new unit and going to a Audi OEM navigation unit due to the fact that we have no radio info as well as certain stations we cant get.

thanks

Vinny[/b]

87.7 is under the standard broadcast range of FM in the US at this time, and that's why it's uncommon to see in most FM units, as far as they're concerned FM starts at 87.9. It's only very recently that stations have gone under 87.9, you're just caught in the crossfire of the battle. I'm sure the reason you're seeing this is that the FM band is really crowded in NYC and they thought this was their best shot at the market, but it comes at a cost, and you're seeing it now, I bet if you take a look around, you'll find that not all your FM radios can get 87.7.

This link will help http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2007/ ... 73.201.htm

The part you're interested in is:

The FM broadcast band consists of that portion of the radio

frequency spectrum between 88 MHz and 108 MHz. It is divided into 100

channels of 200 kHz each.

They will be opening up that under 88 Mhz range after the DTV transition is over, but it will take time before all the FM receivers can get that range.

Diane

You asked about (i) PTY and (ii) radio stations below 87.9.

This thread addresses the lack of RDS (which necessarily means no PTY):

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20134

This thread addresses the inability to tune below 87.9:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18301

What the threads DO FOR YOU is tell you the AVIC doesn't do either of these things. Please try not to be rude when people take their time to help you find the information you're looking for. In hindsight, I suppose I should've just told you do do a search rather than wasting our valuable time starting a whole new thread about information that is already readily available on this site.

Thanks.

--Mav

What the threads DO FOR YOU is tell you the AVIC doesn't do either of these things. Please try not to be rude when people take their time to help you find the information you're looking for. In hindsight, I suppose I should've just told you do do a search rather than wasting our valuable time starting a whole new thread about information that is already readily available on this site.

Thanks.

--Mav

WORD!

Jeez, I get soooooo sick of the multitude of people that post on here with the endless list of obscure, random, and incredibly individualy particular requests that they want this unit to accomplish!

"Yeah, say could I have a unit that plays AM/FM/HD Radio/SIRIUS and XM satellite radio/DVDs/CDs/USB and SD storage devices/iPod/Navigation with Bluetooth with Voice Recognition. . . aaaannnnd have it ALSO do 47 and a half other things like show pretty pictures while I'm driving that only match the color spectrum of my OEM dash lights, or switch a call from the call I'm on while I have a third call on hold while storing the 1st calls contact information on the USB thumb drive but also in the iPhones Favorites list, or have the navigation show me an angle from 3/4 distance behind my vehicle but swing around when I've stopped to show me the landscape that I am approaching unless it's a Thursday in which case, I'd like it to swoop up and overe my car in 3D!

What! This thing can't do that! What a POS! I'm gonna sell this thing on eBay and get a Kenwood!"

*sigh*

Thanks.

--Mav

WORD!

Jeez, I get soooooo sick of the multitude of people that post on here with the endless list of obscure, random, and incredibly individualy particular requests that they want this unit to accomplish!

"Yeah, say could I have a unit that plays AM/FM/HD Radio/SIRIUS and XM satellite radio/DVDs/CDs/USB and SD storage devices/iPod/Navigation with Bluetooth with Voice Recognition. . . aaaannnnd have it ALSO do 47 and a half other things like show pretty pictures while I'm driving that only match the color spectrum of my OEM dash lights, or switch a call from the call I'm on while I have a third call on hold while storing the 1st calls contact information on the USB thumb drive but also in the iPhones Favorites list, or have the navigation show me an angle from 3/4 distance behind my vehicle but swing around when I've stopped to show me the landscape that I am approaching unless it's a Thursday in which case, I'd like it to swoop up and overe my car in 3D!

What! This thing can't do that! What a POS! I'm gonna sell this thing on eBay and get a Kenwood!"

*sigh*

haha, i bet that took you 20 minutes to write out, pretty impressive.

Funny thing is this unit can do most of those things.... and rather well too after the 2.0 update.

Let's hope they add time travel in the next one.

hey cranbers,

No where near that long, LOL! I'm thinking that it is because I hear so many complaints that the crazy scenarios almost wrote themselves!

It just seems to me that if folks REALLY wanted to listen to a radio station at a given frequency, or REALLY want song information to show on their screen - find that stuff out BEFORE you drop a few hundred dollars. It's a very simple thing to go down to a local car radio store and test it out, or conversly, ask questions in a forum like this.

But to purchase it and THEN complain that it doesn't do this or that seems like weaksauce to me.

Cheers,

Kev

I'm going to get into disassembling the binaries on this thing and see what all can be done... this might be an easy change if the tuner itself supports it (which is probably likely, but unknown).

Thanks Alot man i appreciate the help. I didnt mean to sound nasty or rude earlier. I already read those threads about the rds and 87.9. Im just asking to see if there is a way to hack it. There has to be a way to change the frequency of our units to match the Euro version. Rds im not too concerned about as much as i am being able to get to 87.7

thanks in advance for all of your help.

Vinny