AVIC411.com

So Santa is bring me an F90BT....

to replace my Avic D3 which I also have the NavTraffic XM Tuner, BTB200 bluetooth module, iPod cable, and Sirius SIR-PNR2 tuner.

I know from reading on here that the GEX-P10XMT XM Tuner should be able to be used without issue (without NavTraffic), and I think the Sirius tuner should as well. I wont need the bluetooth module or iPod cable obviously. But my question is, is there any compelling reason to get the non-NavTraffic XM Tuner, or the newer Sirius CD-SB10?

Also, should I be aware of any issues in using the F90BT, GEX-P10XMT, SIR-PNR2, and GEX-P10HD HD Tuner together? Such as each add-on unit needing to be at a certain point in the IP bus?

I looked at crutchfield and googled a lot last night, and didnt seem to find any splitter that would take a GM antenna and output 2 'normal' antenna lines, so I will just use the existing adapter I have to feed into the Y splitter.

*Edit*

I'm wondering if its better to split the factory antenna lead (not power, dont think its amplified - 2004 Buick Rainier) or should I look at getting a 2nd antenna, universal type, such as:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044UA20/Universal-Antenna.html?showAll=N&tp=3449

or

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044UA200/Universal-Window-mount-Antenna.html?showAll=N&tp=3449&avf=N

The Y-adapter is going to cost about $13, so I'm just wondering which route is better?

I should say right off the bat that I don't own the 910HD, so take what I say with a certain grain of salt...

Having said that, I can tell you that the common review of the 910 is that it will cut your FM range significantly even if you wire the car's antenna directly to it without splitting it.

The reviews are mixed, but my read on it is that unless you are driving inside of a major city, the 910 won't work well for you. I'm not sure if the problem is with the pioneer engineering or with HD radio itself, but the common conclusion I've found is that unless you really want HD radio and drive close to your favorite stations, don't bother.

Regarding your specific question, if you split your antenna, you're looking at a 3+db loss to both your HU and the 910, cutting your reception to both in half before you run in to any potential problems endemic to the 910/HD technology. In your case, since you have to convert the GM plug prior to splitting, the loss to both your HU and 910 will be even higher.

If you want the absolute best performance for both your HU and 910, the best answer is to get a second antenna. Of course, that means you have to install a second antenna, which is a whole other hassle in and of itself.

Personally, I don't think HD radio is worth it until Pioneer improves the reception issues and functionality of the 910/F-series combo. (The functionality issues are a whole other subject I suggest you search for on this site before you make your decision.)

In spite of all my gloom and doom, there are many on here who will tell you they are very happy with their 910s. Like I said, I think it all depends on where you typically drive.

Best of luck to you.

I simply got the splitter, and it worked fine, why there is all this crazy complicating talk is beyond me. It also doesn't really matter if you have no desire to use msn direct anyway.

I used an antenna splitter, both msn direct and hd worked just fine. But like one guy said, is 100 dollar for the hd tuner really worth it? I had it, returned it because it just didn't do anything special. Not all stations are hd yet, and the benefits like text song/station information doesn't exactly work on this unit anyway. I think once I saw the radio station name, but its not exactl like free xm or anything.

I went through allt hat work and it turned out pointless, with ipod, xm etc, able to read mp3's and even a cd player, think about if its worth the hassle.

Just my experience.

Well I might just return the HD tuner then. Afterall, I will have XM, Sirius (probably dropping this), iPod, and there is always the CD/DVD for MP3's and the SD card too right? Probably dont need the HD tuner, just sounded neat, but I guess its just like any other 'External Control' device Pioneer has put out there. Guess I can return the antenna splitter too at this point. You guys saved me $100 thanks! :)

Well I might just return the HD tuner then. Afterall, I will have XM, Sirius (probably dropping this), iPod, and there is always the CD/DVD for MP3's and the SD card too right? Probably dont need the HD tuner, just sounded neat, but I guess its just like any other 'External Control' device Pioneer has put out there. Guess I can return the antenna splitter too at this point. You guys saved me $100 thanks! :)

just my two cents, but the XM people are some real jerks; Sirius has better customer service. Also, with the channel lineup change, your XM receiver won't have a lot of matching icons whereas Sirius doesnt have any channel specific icons.

Well XM has a nicer display overall than Sirius right? Plus, I'm not worried about channel icons, as I will be hacking the unit a lot, and I believe someone already created updated channel icons didnt they? Plus I have XM in my home theater too, so its part of my family plan. If I drop 1 service, it will probably be sirius.

xm works better and the interface is better as well, with sirrius and xm merged now, you will see zero difference at some point. so losing sirrius really isn't going ot hurt anything except them being paid twice, for xm and sirrius.

I really don't know if i understand why people have both? I mean 24 dollarsa month for sat radio? crazy stuff.