AVIC411.com

Adding a Zune to Z Series: How To Needed!

Two questions...

1) Does anyone know of an IP Bus adapter coming out anytime soon for the Zune? :?

2) I read on here about hooking up the Zune via dock/wireless remote and having the information on the Zune screen show up on the Z, can we get an actual complete how-to with PN's (for dock/remote/cables, etc) and instructions on how to do it (wiring, ports, settings)? 8):?:

Thanks in advance!

Guys, it's really not rocket science or anything. You take the typical Zune dock that you buy for your t.v./home entertainment center. It comes with the RCA's (yellow/red/white wires) built in and also a USB cable for power and a IR remote. The Z series has an aux input with built in RCA hookups. The only other thing to get is a lighter plug powered USB how-ya-doin so your Zune doesn't die after a couple hours.

Find a good place to mount your Zune dock, run the RCA's to the back of your Avic-Z, plug in your usb cable and Voila!

Remember, it's an IR remote so you have to be able to have line-of-sight (aka you can't hide the dock/zune in a glove box) or you won't be able to use the remote.

I highly encourage this to anyone who has a zune or wants to play music videos to spice up your driving a lil bit. That's mainly what I do, and when I have passengers, I play movies on the Z2. The remote makes it great because you don't have to lean forward to mess with the radio when you want to change songs or whatever.

My only problem with this was finding a good clean spot in my '07 Tundra that I could mount the Dock and be able to hide all the cables. FOUND it just as I was leaving to come back to S. Korea for another 6 months, so it sits idle on my to do list for when I get home.

If you are concerned like I was, don't worry it doesn't rotate to the side when you start playing videos like the zune does. Everything is upright and clear(depending if you have a good quality video).

Any questions, feel free to ask. I have everything other than the USB interface installed, which I have thought about just for a constant 5V power supply for my zune. I just don't like the idea of ANY of my 2,000 lighter plugs Toyota decided to put in the new Tundras having a cable running to it. I suppose its my OCD.

Guys, it's really not rocket science or anything. You take the typical Zune dock that you buy for your t.v./home entertainment center. It comes with the RCA's (yellow/red/white wires) built in and also a USB cable for power and a IR remote. The Z series has an aux input with built in RCA hookups. The only other thing to get is a lighter plug powered USB how-ya-doin so your Zune doesn't die after a couple hours.

Find a good place to mount your Zune dock, run the RCA's to the back of your Avic-Z, plug in your usb cable and Voila!

Remember, it's an IR remote so you have to be able to have line-of-sight (aka you can't hide the dock/zune in a glove box) or you won't be able to use the remote.

I highly encourage this to anyone who has a zune or wants to play music videos to spice up your driving a lil bit. That's mainly what I do, and when I have passengers, I play movies on the Z2. The remote makes it great because you don't have to lean forward to mess with the radio when you want to change songs or whatever.

My only problem with this was finding a good clean spot in my '07 Tundra that I could mount the Dock and be able to hide all the cables. FOUND it just as I was leaving to come back to S. Korea for another 6 months, so it sits idle on my to do list for when I get home.

If you are concerned like I was, don't worry it doesn't rotate to the side when you start playing videos like the zune does. Everything is upright and clear(depending if you have a good quality video).

Any questions, feel free to ask. I have everything other than the USB interface installed, which I have thought about just for a constant 5V power supply for my zune. I just don't like the idea of ANY of my 2,000 lighter plugs Toyota decided to put in the new Tundras having a cable running to it. I suppose its my OCD.

Where is your place on the Tundra I have one also and I am looking???

Hmmm... What kinda car do you have? I'll tell ya, I was home for a month and couldn't find one convenient place for the dock until 2 days before I had to leave and I put 5,000 miles on that baby. What about a cup holder? Not sure how to help ya on this one, just try to be creative. If you have a spare cupholder get a piece of plexiglass or something to go over the top of it and then put the dock on that... I almost did that but I am pretty meticulous with how everything should fit in just the right place... Maybe I just have mad OCD issues. haha, I donno, send me some pics of the interior and maybe I can get a better idea for a suggestion.

Good luck!!

Where is your place on the Tundra I have one also and I am looking???

Blazeman, I realized this just as I was done driving for another 6 months so I didn't get to fully install it so let me know how it goes. My idea was to cut out the very front(car front) passenger corner of the empty center speaker grill just under the clock. just a small couple holes so the usb cable & RCA cable could run down. I doubt the USB cable is going to be long enough so you'll probably need an extention cable for it, but the RCA's will certainly be long enough. I liked how clean the dock looked sitting all the way to the passenger side all the way to the front, the only problem I had with it is if you just pick up the remote and being as lazy as I can be don't want to lift your arm to point the remote at the dock it isn't in line of sight. The only way it will be is if you place it all the way to the edge of the grill. I suppose it wouldn't be anything to pull it forward a little bit while you're driving and then once you are finished with it just push the cables back in the hole.

When I drove around that's where I kept the dock.... When I finally started using it. For a while I wasn't even using the dock because I couldn't stand how it looked. I just hooked up the usb cable to the zune and kept it in the center console. Let me know if this makes any sense, I just woke up so I'm a lil groggy.

So what year is your Tundra and do you have a profile on Tundra Solutions?

My truck is an slate metallic DC 07. I have a profile on TS, but no pictures as of yet. My truck is all work so I have done very few mods to it.

Cool man, hit me up on yahoo IM if you're going the Zune Dock idea... I'd like to know how well it looks fully installed. my S/N on there is vinweazle.

Hmmm... What kinda car do you have? I'll tell ya, I was home for a month and couldn't find one convenient place for the dock until 2 days before I had to leave and I put 5,000 miles on that baby. What about a cup holder? Not sure how to help ya on this one, just try to be creative. If you have a spare cupholder get a piece of plexiglass or something to go over the top of it and then put the dock on that... I almost did that but I am pretty meticulous with how everything should fit in just the right place... Maybe I just have mad OCD issues. haha, I donno, send me some pics of the interior and maybe I can get a better idea for a suggestion.

Good luck!!

its an 05 audi a4...not really many places at all. it only has one cupholder!

the only time you can get anything to show up on the z screen is in video mode?

Well, if you mean tv out in your display settings as video mode, then yes. When the a/v RCA cables get hooked to your zune, and they are hooked up to your aux port on the Z, put the Z to the Aux input mode and then setup the zune to be in TV out. It'll automatically go to the Z. If it's hooked up through the docking station you have to control everything with the remote. If you just have the A/V cable hooked up to your zune directly you can use the zune itself.

Was that a lil confusing? just worked a long day so I apologize if it is. Let me know